HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: So how good was it for you?
Excellent! I'll deal with them again anytime! 2 14.29%
Great, they went above and beyond! 3 21.43%
I need a smoke! 3 21.43%
It was good, not great but good. 2 14.29%
Feepa? Nuke him from orbit! 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:23 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
"The Kremlin called. They want their architect back." I laughed out loud when I read that.
call me odd here, but as commie looking as it is, i actually like the Federal Building. one of my favorites in Edmonton.

now, if only they would use it....perhaps renovating them into charactor apartments or office condos...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:38 AM

Like I said, you got to give it credit for being what it is. No apologies:

I like it too.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 1:48 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
That's Edmonton's Slogan... the Haphazard City

I agree. A firm, strong, written in frickin' concrete plate for all to see - the plan for Downtown.

Edmonton need's a belt line. I personally would like to see a beltline run east along 103rd ave from 106th St. East until it hits the river. Included in this would be the North Edge Project and the belt could even expand as far North as 107th Street . Ditch the Stationlands WALL o' Doom and open it up with a few slimmer nicer office buildings closer to the core (ahem Staples site).

I'd like to see a Dubai style beltline run east from there all the way until it hits the river. Dubai less the freeway in the middle.

I envy Calgary for it's beltline.

We have so many condos WEST of the Core. NONE North and NONE EAST. The northwest Edge has been ruined by the likes of railtown, venetian, etc.

It's time to develop North. Start with Q - isnt Q supposed to be on 105th? There you go. The first building in our BELT.
Beltline just refers to the neighbourhood name in Calgary, it is not an urban type. Beltline is what the old streetcar loop used to be called around the current community.

But yeah, Edmonton's north edge could follow a lot of the same development patterns and policies that are going on in this neighbourhood.

The Federal Building was one of my favourites of the set.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:15 AM
Everything will pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
The Federal Building was one of my favourites of the set.
That's not hard when Monkyman was concentrating on urban horror stories, give or take a couple.

But come on, the architect who designed that building in in the mid-50s was probably chosen by Ernest Manning for his upright Calvinist approach to life, ie, no dancing and certainly no ornamentation on public buildings! Don't want to stir any passions, now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:14 AM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Like I said, you got to give it credit for being what it is. No apologies:

I like it too.
At least this building speaks something - like... I'm big, I'm strong, I'm communist!

I like the whole leg. area.... a few more fancy buildings (perhaps that one that resembled the Fairmont Palliser on Acid.. the one in proposal stage) should be built here.

I love the fact that Edmonton has the political power (technically) - we get a few neat buildings in return

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:55 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
That's Edmonton's Slogan... the Haphazard City

I agree. A firm, strong, written in frickin' concrete plate for all to see - the plan for Downtown.
Enter the "new" downtown plan that is currently underway. This will be a fantastic plan.

Quote:
Edmonton need's a belt line....I'd like to see a Dubai style beltline run east from there all the way until it hits the river. Dubai less the freeway in the middle.

We have so many condos WEST of the Core. NONE North and NONE EAST. The northwest Edge has been ruined by the likes of railtown, venetian, etc.

It's time to develop North. Start with Q - isnt Q supposed to be on 105th? There you go. The first building in our BELT.
This is what the North Edge area will be and has started to become. There are a number of nice mid-rise buildings like Maxx (which has been redesigned and looks like something from Arbutus), Zen and now the MTEC proposal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:29 AM
Community Guy

guys guys guys.....stop and be enlightened.

the North Edge ARP is well underyway and if you had been apart of the process, you would know it is as good as any beltline in cal......

Fed building - one of the best in the city.......i will move if it goes. Condos, office, hotel, NOW.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
guys guys guys.....stop and be enlightened.

the North Edge ARP is well underyway and if you had been apart of the process, you would know it is as good as any beltline in cal......
No. It could be. Execution is everything, and I've seen enough urban plans go sideways for one reason or another. A city is too important to leave to the experts. Ya gots ta git hand on. The world is run by those few who show up for the meetings. Talk-Action=Zero. I fully plan on hounding every north edge project throught the city hall phase. I'm too new to the city to have been part of the planning, but I'll damned well be part of the execution.

Quote:
Fed building - one of the best in the city.......i will move if it goes. Condos, office, hotel, NOW.
What kind of freaking moron would make it go somewhere? That imposing motherfucker rocks!
Reminds me of this one, but without all the fussiness. :

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:46 AM

I saw very few pics of Oliver.....

Your tour for the most part skirted the perimeter of Oliver and (IMO) didn't due justice to the established, tree-lined residential Oilver neighbourhood. You spent too much time on Jasper and 104th Ave and no time in between.

To me, Oliver IS the established residential area...not Railtown and the rest of the crap next to 109th Street.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot™ View Post
I saw very few pics of Oliver.....
Well, look again. If you need help, read the ARP. There are a number of maps. Granted Railtown and the North Edge are outside the boundaries, but Jasper and 104th Ave are definitely in Oliver. As is the Molson's factory.

Quote:
Your tour for the most part skirted the perimeter of Oliver and (IMO) didn't due justice to the established, tree-lined residential Oilver neighbourhood. You spent too much time on Jasper and 104th Ave and no time in between.

To me, Oliver IS the established residential area...not Railtown and the rest of the crap next to 109th Street.
Did I accidentally post this on treelinedboulevardpage.com?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Did I accidentally post this on treelinedboulevardpage.com?
*L*

Touche!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:34 PM

are there any urban design guidelines in this area? There are so few cohesive elements to create any kind of meaningful public space.

This area looks like Scarborough actually (on a bad day). The strip malls, the slab apartments, the infill (though Scarborough infill is brick and typically more attractive), the wide avenues, even the ravines.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:56 PM
Community Guy

^there wasnt but is more now, but still a ways to go... Oilver needs an ARP.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 8:20 PM
Urbis Maximus

/\ Oliver has an ARP...it just needs to be updated.

@monkeyman - The North Edge area JUST started to see development applications. So far, the quality and design of proposed developments are nice - Aurora, Maxx, etc. This area will develop to a much greater standard that we've seen in any other area.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 8:22 PM
Community Guy

^sorry dr.cmd, i meant updated.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Well, look again. If you need help, read the ARP. There are a number of maps. Granted Railtown and the North Edge are outside the boundaries, but Jasper and 104th Ave are definitely in Oliver. As is the Molson's factory.
Thank you for the link. Go check out the map on page 11 of that pdf. You missed all the good stuff south of Jasper to the river and (correct me if I'm wrong) I failed to see at least ONE pic of the LeMarchand Mansion.

Sure, it was crappy, flat, overcast, winter light (which can be some of the toughest to shoot in), but I think you failed to do justice to the Oilver area. Go to page 14 of that pdf file and look at the suggested areas of "retention and conversion of older housing stock is encouraged". I don't recall any pics of these possiblities. How 'bout pics of existing park space and other cultural ammenities (page 58 of the pdf)?

I don't want to sound too harsh/critical, m0nkeyman. I just think you focused too much on Jasper and 104 Avenues and never got "into" Oliver to see the hidden jems.

Overall though, I really enjoyed going through your photo excursion and do recognize the effort you put forth with the uploading and captions, etc.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 5:51 PM
Honored Member

Yeah. the Federal Building is a classic.

i believe that mystery crane is for River Vista. The building with the most amazing north wall of anything built in this city or any other city. Ever.

Whats this about a mid day bender?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:33 AM
GT Champion

How much is West Edmonton Mall worth?

Apparently $926 million! (Considering the figures they were throwing around during the ATB scandal about the malls worth, thats quite a gain in value over the last decade)

Anyways information here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/Business

If your interested in equity financing, read the whole thing...otherwise, enjoy!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:33 AM

After a fine lunch and earls, served by an equally fine shorty...

HardhatDizznizzle and CMD U-DUUUBBB PRESENT:
Cold Crisp and (maybe not so) Clean.
Car tour of Cloverdale, Riverdale, East Jasper, Chinatown, The North Edge, The Core and West Jasper/124st.

Are you excited in your pants region?

Last edited by Hardhatdan; Feb 15, 2007 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:41 AM
Community Guy

a bil....not bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy