HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:12 PM

In an issue related to the vote, does any one else think that it is time to think about making changes to the city's electoral system?

For on thing it might be time to add a few more wards. In my opinion they are becoming too large, in both population and area, for the representatives to really deal with community issues. Ward 12 really stands out here. The issues in communities like Haysboro and Acadia is vastly different from those in New Brighton and Auburn Bay. One Councillor simply can't represent both areas fairly, especially since the demands would likely clash at times (keeping schools open in established areas versus opening new ones on the outskirts, limited money can't do both). Ward 9 also covers some pretty disparate areas of the city.

It is also alot harder to really see where candidates stand on certain issues than it is federally or provincially. This is a factor of the non-partisan nature of the body and I'm not sure if I'd want to change it but I definately see it as a factor in the low participation rates. It likely works alot better when wards are composed of a few thousand people and the voters know the candidates more personally than it does with wards twenty times larger.

I don't know, does any one else have any thoughts on this?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Mr. Scarps was a kick-ass Italian teacher in high school(bonus points if you can guess which school!) and did an awesome job as our lead chaperone on our trip to Italy in grade 12.

With all the disputes with O'Malley I've always envisioned Serafino just getting up from his chair and putting some serious good old Italian beat down on him!

Damn rights! I had the pleasure of going to Italy with Bigtime on the sair Italy trip. Scarps was money in the bank! The classic story was his connections with some goldsmiths in Firenze....hahaha I took us to this shop where we could "get a good deal"

He was also my soccer coach at Francis.

Hey Biggie Time....is Marg Belcourt the same Belcourt from Francis?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Jeremy Zhao Mayor!

He is concerned about voter apathy....and I frankly feel apathetic

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Round Head

That guy looks like emotion eric.

www.emotioneric.com

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 3:03 AM

I am not too familiar with the other candidates in Ward 8, anyone have a link to them? I would almost do anything to get rid of Madelyn King. She is not capable of being an alderman in a city of a million people. Her ideas are more suited for a small rural town, say Okotoks, not Calgary.

I want someone who realizes Calgary is a metro city, not some small town. Hence make decisions based on a how to make Calgary a vibrant city, not a city with a small town mentality or feel.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 4:04 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
For on thing it might be time to add a few more wards. In my opinion they are becoming too large, in both population and area, for the representatives to really deal with community issues. Ward 12 really stands out here. The issues in communities like Haysboro and Acadia is vastly different from those in New Brighton and Auburn Bay. One Councillor simply can't represent both areas fairly, especially since the demands would likely clash at times (keeping schools open in established areas versus opening new ones on the outskirts, limited money can't do both). Ward 9 also covers some pretty disparate areas of the city.
I think Ward 3 is in the running here too. Evanston is a 20 minute drive at least from Falconridge and Taradale. Not to mention the still rural acreages NW of Evanston.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:11 PM
Majestic

Judge blocks return of O'Malley
'Extremist' ex-trustee disqualified
Sarah McGinnis, Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, September 20, 2007

Renegade former trustee Michael O'Malley has been barred by a court from running for Calgary's separate school board, but the decision comes too late to remove his name from city election ballots.

In a much-anticipated ruling, Court of Queen's Justice Peter Clark said O'Malley is disqualified from holding office as a trustee of the Calgary Catholic School District for the 2007 and 2010 civic elections.

In a written decision, the judge said the case "is about an extremist who exploited and abused his elected position -- a person who has deliberately and in a calculated way attempted to sabotage and undermine the very organization he was elected to serve.

"Mr. O'Malley needs to be held accountable for his actions so that the integrity and discharge of public duties can be maintained."

O'Malley did not respond Wednesday to calls and e-mail requests for comment.

The courts shouldn't be involved in choosing whether he should sit on the school board, O'Malley said after filing his nomination papers Monday. "Let's let the people decide."

The Calgary Catholic School District spent at least $750,000 addressing O'Malley's frequent legal challenges -- both before and after he was removed from office.

"We're pleased with the decision," said separate board spokeswoman Tania Younker.

"It's a clear decision. We hope Mr. O'Malley will respect the judicial process and withdraw his name."

In May 2006, the separate board sought legal permission to disqualify O'Malley as a trustee for conflict of interest and breaching his fiduciary duty after he had taken the board to court repeatedly.

O'Malley appealed the initial court decision barring him from running until after the 2010 election. While he awaited the verdict of his second trial, O'Malley filed nomination papers intending to run for school trustee again.

Now that Clark has ruled O'Malley can't sit as a trustee, city election officials must cope with this illegal candidate whose name is printed on some election ballots.

"It's very unfortunate this didn't come down yesterday morning," said returning officer Barb Clifford. "The ballots have already been proofed and gone to print."

City lawyers will examine the written decision and research how to handle the situation. There are no provisions in the Local Authorities Election Act to address this, said Clifford.

The legislation allows for disclaimers to be posted in polling stations describing a candidate's wish to no longer run, but it is up to the individual to file for the disclaimer, said Clifford.

The separate board voted unanimously Wednesday night to take legal action to force O'Malley to withdraw his name if he refuses to do so voluntarily.

Meanwhile, Calgary Catholic voters will still have two remaining candidates to choose from in wards 9, 10 and Chestermere.

Rosemarie Goerlitz said she decided to run to prevent

O'Malley from returning to further disrupt the board.

Former trustee Adam Heighes is also fighting to secure the seat he lost to O'Malley three years ago and was elated the court has barred O'Malley from re-election.

"Mr. O'Malley failed to understand the true purpose of democracy and Catholic education and appreciate that the purpose of trusteeship is to work co-operatively with their colleagues to serve the best interests of students," said Heighes.

smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:34 PM
Majestic

Mayor promises $930M LRT plan
West leg route upsets some of his rivals
Colette Derworiz, Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

Dave Bronconnier, campaigning for re-election as mayor in October's civic election, vowed Thursday to spend $930 million to extend the LRT in three directions: northeast, northwest and west.

His first major campaign promise comes six days after the province signed an $11.3-billion, 10-year deal for Alberta's municipalities -- including a total of $3.3 billion for Calgary.

"If elected on Oct. 15, I will recommend to city council at our first meeting to move forward on a major LRT reinvestment -- almost a billion dollars for Calgary's light-rail transit system," he told reporters at Westside Recreation Centre.

The west leg of the LRT, which is the biggest cost, at about $700 million, is proposed to run along Bow Trail, go south at Westbrook Mall and then head west along 17th Avenue until it reaches a station near the recreation centre at 69th Street S.W.

But several of Bronconnier's challengers for the mayor's chair immediately criticized the proposal.

"The LRT should be extended, but you have to fix up the downtown part before extending it out," said Sandy Jenkins.

"My plan is to put it underground downtown."

As for the west leg, Jenkins said it should run past Mount Royal College.

David Bertram, who is also running for mayor, agreed the west LRT needs a different alignment.

"I want to know why we aren't going to go through (Mount Royal College) like we did with SAIT and the university," said Bertram, noting he doesn't know yet whether it's a priority to extend the west leg of the LRT. "It's one piece of the puzzle . . . but I am going to have to take a look at how best to spend the $3.3 billion."

Another candidate, however, said he believes the entire amount coming from the province should be spent on the LRT system.

"It's not enough," said Alnoor Kassam, pledging to finish the west leg of the LRT in three years and build the southeast line, which would reach a total price tag of nearly $3 billion.

Kassam said he wouldn't extend the northeast and northwest lines further unless there's more money available.

Under Bronconnier's proposal, the northwest extension -- complete to Crowfoot Station by mid-2008 -- would continue to Rocky Ridge. It would include 2.2 kilometres of track, one new station and seven additional LRT cars at a cost of $120 million. The northeast line would keep going from Westwinds station to Martindale and Saddleridge, at a cost of $110 million for 2.9 kilometres of track, two new stations and another seven LRT cars.

The west leg, which would run from downtown to 69th Street S.W., would include 7.7 kilometres of track, six stations and 21 additional LRT cars in the next four to five years.

"That is subject to the availability of acquiring land," Bronconnier said, noting the detailed design work and acquisitions would take about 14 to 18 months. "When you look at it overall, it's a very aggressive timeline."

Bronconnier's plan calls for another $6 million to be spent to complete the detailed designs on a subway below 8th Avenue and the connection to a future southeast line.

City council will ultimately set the priorities for the $3.3 billion.

Ald. Linda Fox-Mellway, who has been acclaimed in Ward 14, said council has been hoping to extend the LRT lines for a long time.

"There is a higher priority now for transit," she said. "I think we have to start building because these things aren't getting any cheaper.

"We can't build enough to create enough capacity on our roads."

cderworiz@theherald.canwest.com

Campaigning for re-election, Mayor Dave Bronconnier vows to spends $930 million to extend the LRT.
Calgary Herald Archive

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:35 PM
Majestic

Lawsuit needed to strike O'Malley's name from ballots
Order required to avoid byelection, says expert
Sarah McGinnis, Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

The Calgary Catholic School District should launch a lawsuit asking the court to strike Michael O'Malley's name from printed election ballots if they want to avoid a byelection, says a Calgary legal professor.

A court order to alter ballots could be the only way to prevent the public from voting for a man who legally can't assume public office, said Chris Levy, associate dean of the University of Calgary's law department.

"There is a problem here and there is no legislative mechanism for dealing with this problem (outside the courts)," said Levy.

On Tuesday, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Peter Clark announced that O'Malley was disqualified from becoming a school board trustee for the next two civic elections.

The decision came hours after nominations closed for the Oct. 15 elections, confirming O'Malley as a separate board trustee candidate in wards 9, 10 and Chestermere.

Under existing legislation, they are bound to follow rigid deadlines for when they can and cannot reject nominees, when ballots must be printed and election pamphlets must be delivered to the public.

Changing the candidates list after expired deadlines could also be seen as tampering in the election.

The question now is how to handle this trustee candidate who can't actually sit on the school board.

O'Malley could not be reached for comment and has not publicly spoken since the judge's decision was released.

City lawyers are currently reviewing the decision and what powers they have to address it.

Calgary Catholic trustees voted unanimously on Wednesday to have lawyers head back to court if O'Malley ignores the ruling.

School board lawyers have already sent a letter to O'Malley warning they will launch a lawsuit if he doesn't voluntarily withdraw from the election, said board spokeswoman Tania Younker.

Even if O'Malley asks to be removed from the race, there is nothing in the Local Authorities Election Act to permit his name from being crossed off ballots, said Levy.

"Part of the problem is the timing of Justice Clark's decision. If the decision had come down before the ballots were printed them, Mr. O'Malley's name could simply have been excluded from the ballot papers," said Levy.

"We are now stuck with a situation that unless he chooses voluntarily to post notices and make it plain he's not a candidate, his name is going to be on the ballot and people may be misled into voting for him."

The school board's biggest concern is that keeping O'Malley on election ballots will make the results in the race -- which includes two other candidates -- invalid, said Younker.

"We don't want to incur the cost of a byelection," said Younker.

"When he was removed from office it was determined a byelection would cost between $125,000 and $150,000."

A byelection would be "unfair to voters, it's unfair to the other candidates and it's unfair to the district," said Adam Heighes, who is also running in the ward 9, 10 and Chestermere riding.

The returning officer may need a court order to allow election staff to scratch O'Malley's name from voter ballots, said Levy.

He suggests the separate school board immediately return to Justice Clark, who made the original ruling, and ask him to order election officials to remove O'Malley's name from voter ballots.

If Clark agrees to step in to ensure his ruling is followed, such an order could be made within the week, Levy said.

smcginnis@theherald.canwest.com

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 5:50 PM
Westgate Newbie

Is there going to be a Mayoral debate at some time? open to the public I'd hope?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:18 PM
Industrial Might

I had an idea:

Any Mayor Candidate that "promises" improved transit should pledge to take the bus/train during peak hours for the rest of the campaign (and mabey when they get in office). This way they will experence first hand the frustration of those who take transit and see that there really is alot to be improved.

I personally am supporting Alnoor at the moment, since his plan is the most innovative and hopefully will move the city in the right direction. Innovative ideas like lane reversals, HOV lanes(I still cannot understand why Bow trail has no HOV lane yet), and commuter rail are what the city needs to reduce congestion.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 3:38 PM

Building the Southeast leg ahead of the NW and NE extensions isn't particularly innovative. Especially since people in the southeast are more likely to work in the Deerfoot employment area. AFAIK, people in the west and north would make better use of a radial system. Another advantage is that the rebuilding of Crowchild and the construction of the Stony/Crowchild interchange is happening anyway, and both of these facilitate cheaper LRT extension.

Now I understand that you can 'build' demand in the southeast by building the LRT there earlier, but if it has to be at the expense of the other lines, I would say no... for now.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 9:59 PM
Calgreedian

More from mayoral candidate Jeremy Zhao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJau-8JBvwA
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
More from mayoral candidate Jeremy Zhao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJau-8JBvwA
Screw Zhao, I'm voting for the deep-voiced guy in the background.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:33 PM
Majestic

Residents turn on alderman
Larocque calls criticism sour grapes
Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald
Published: Monday, September 24, 2007

It happens so rarely, a cash-strapped organization rejecting money.

But the Martindale community association board returned $500 to the city this summer, stating it didn't want Helene Larocque, the alderman for the area, to interfere with a movie night in the park.

The event went ahead. Larocque passed out campaign literature nearby. And relations between the incumbent and a number of her constituents hit what some would consider a new low.

For her part, Larocque dismisses the criticism, saying it's simply politics.

While there has been bad blood between Larocque and pockets of the ward for her entire first term, it's starting to spill over into open hostility as the campaign heats up.

"She is the incumbent in the most trouble in the city, at the most risk of losing her seat," said Naheed Nenshi, with the Better Calgary Campaign, which advocates for better municipal government and will be making a group decision around endorsements at the beginning of October.

Nenshi, who ran fourth against Larocque in the 2004 election, said the fight for Ward 3 will likely be the most interesting race in the city.

"You have a situation where you have an incumbent, who won by a very narrow margin, who is not universally loved in the neighbourhood, but certainly does have pockets of support," Nenshi said, "competing against someone who pretty much started campaigning the day he lost last time and has a lot of endorsements, representing the traditional parts of the community, the community associations and so on.

"And then you have this third candidate who may not be as well known in those traditional parts of the community, but is exceptionally well known in the more ethnically diverse parts of the community."

Trying to unseat Larocque on Oct. 15 are businessman Jim Stevenson, who also ran in 2004, and George Chahal, a vice-president of Oxford Homes, who has a degree in planning.

Many community leaders are supporting Stevenson and -- while stressing they speak for themselves, not their associations -- are happy to document at length what they see as Larocque's failings.

Those include an abrasive manner, not returning phone calls and inflating her role in area projects, including the proposed northeast recreation centre and the extension of the LRT line to near Westwinds park.

Her decision to vote against the 2007 city budget -- which included money for fire and EMS and for planning work on the recreation centre -- has drawn criticism from constituents and some of her council colleagues.

"I'm really sick of her taking the credit for all the work the volunteers have done. She's never once said we're responsible," said Grant Galpin, who's involved with both the Saddleridge community association and the North East Centre of Community Society.

"We've done more without her than we've done with her," said Kelly Jones, who's with the Martindale community association, where Larocque was once the president.

Khalil Karbani, who lives in Taradale and is involved with the recreation centre, says organizers often feel they need to take it upon themselves to convince other aldermen to support their projects.

"We've had to go to every alderman separately and do her work," he said.

Larocque calls it sour grapes; a few unhappy people who supported other candidates when she won the hotly contested 2004 race.

"I think there are a few key people in the community who have personally allowed their opinions to cross over into their community work and I think that's very unfortunate," she said. "And they haven't attempted to try to mend the relationship.

"I've tried, but I think that they've publicly had some hostility towards me."

However, it's evident the dislike runs deep on both sides. For example, in correspondence, the president of the Martindale community association, Terry-lyn Martin, and Larocque don't refer to each other by name, just titles.

While Stevenson, who lives just outside the ward, hosted a barbecue in Martindale last weekend, Larocque knocked on doors directly across the street.

Larocque believes she has support in the larger ward and argues the community associations don't necessarily represent the wider area.

In an interview this week, the incumbent alderman wouldn't commit to public forums during the campaign, saying it depends on her schedule.

Her critics say it's another example of her attitude.

The Northern Hills Community Association said it tried to reach her team numerous times before setting a date for their Oct. 1 forum, but received no response.

Ghosts of the 2004 race hang heavy over this battle. Three years ago, Ward 3 was wide open after longtime alderman John Schmal retired.

Thirteen people vied to replace him, with Larocque edging her closest opponent by 154 ballots. Many felt the number of candidates split the vote, allowing Larocque to win.

Stevenson, finishing third, was 181 votes behind Larocque. At least two of his opponents in 2004 now support his bid to unseat the first-term alderman.

Nenshi, who is not personally endorsing any candidate, said the introduction of Chahal, the only fresh name on the ballot, adds an interesting element.

The 32-year-old father lives on the west side of Deerfoot -- the other candidates live to the east. He is a Calgary-born member of an ethnic group in the most diverse ward in the city, and is apart from the Larocque-Stevenson fray.

He won't comment on the other candidates and posts their newsletters in his campaign office. He and Stevenson have also sat down for a quick chat.

At the same time, he's not as well known as the other two candidates.

As the campaign enters its second week, the pieces are falling into place for an intriguing battle, ensuring that for the second election in a row, political watchers will be keeping a close eye on Ward 3.

kguttormson@theherald.canwest.com

===========================================================================================================

So, sounds like Larocque is not popular with her own constituents. Anyone going to put down money on her getting the punt?

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 9:51 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Oh, shucky darn....

Quote:
O'Malley Voluntarily Steps Aside From Election
Sep, 24 2007 - 3:10 PM

CALGARY/AM770CHQR - Embattled former cathlic school trustee Michael O'Malley has thrown in the towel.
The city's returning officer confirms O'Malley has voluntarily withdrawn candidacy from the school board election.
Barb Clifford says his name is still on the ballot because they were printed before a judge ruled last week O'Malley couldn't run in the next two elections.
But there will be disclaimers at polling stations telling voters O'Malley is not an eligible candidate, and if he's elected, he's not eligible to serve his term.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 3:52 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Couple of quick hits about Silly Season from today's rags...

First off--corblimey, guv, but 'ere's a real surprise from the Scum's favourite palaeocon, oi wot?

Quote:
Tue, September 25, 2007

'Dr. No' needs reinforcements

By PAUL JACKSON

I sit down with Ald. Ric McIver and start off in hearty fashion by telling him in my book he represents the best of city council.

To which, he does not entirely disagree, though he does suggest some of his high profile is not due entirely his own diligent work.

The Ward 12 representative blames it squarely on our own caustic columnist, Rick Bell. It was Bell who coined the monicker "Dr. No" for McIver and Rick's take on Ric has stuck.

But McIver insists he does not give the thumbs down to just about everything that comes before him.

"I vote yes 75 percent of the time, and on the other 25 percent I think about it very deeply before I vote no."

One presumes he also thinks about it just as deeply before he votes yes 75 percent of the time.

Says McIver, "we are a big city and it takes a lot of money to run a big city, but council must be custodians of the taxpayers' money. We can't just spend it willy-nilly."

Ah, if only every other alderman felt the same.

It now takes $2.2 billion to run the city and it's going to take more in future. It doesn't matter where that money comes from -- raised municipally or from the province -- for as McIver frequently points out, there is only one taxpayer.

Whether we send our taxes directly to city coffers or indirectly to provincial coffers, or in an even more roundabout way to federal coffers, it still comes out of one pocket.

So one can't just allow politicians -- municipal, provincial or federal -- to throw money around on pet projects taxpayers neither need nor can afford.

Hence, at the municipal level McIver surely is the taxpayers' best watchdog.

Come the municipal ballot on Oct. 15, we'll see how awake voters are when it comes to who serves them best on council.

Frankly, with the occasional exception -- Ward 5's Ray Jones, Ward 10's Andre Chabot, and Ward 11's Barry Erskine, who is leaving municipal politics -- we aren't served as well as we could be.

In a city that is very much Conservative and entrepreneurial, we have for the most part a liberal-left council with seats held by individuals who have little business sense, if any.

It's bewildering we would vote conservative heavily both provincially and federally, yet let liberal-left types take over our affairs at the local level.

I've spoken to several aldermanic candidates about this, as well as to McIver and Chabot, and they blame both a sad lack of interest in municipal politics, and the fact that since aldermanic candidates do not run under a party label, the liberal-left set can shade political leanings until they are elected.

Once elected, with those already on council having a higher profile -- and generally far more money to spend on a campaign than do new candidates --it's hard to get them out.

That's too bad, because a municipal government is the closest government to the people.

Three top-notch candidates who'd add substance to council are Jim Stevenson, running in Ward 3 against Helene Larocque, Steve Chapman in Ward 8 against Madeleine King, and Al Koenig in Ward 9 against Joe Ceci.

Larocque, King and Ceci are all of the liberal-left, while the three contenders have solid conservative credentials. On top of that, Stevenson and Chapman have entrepreneurial backgrounds, and Koenig is head of the Calgary Police Association.

We really need to give the likes of McIver and Chabot some more muscle on council, and we'll have a chance to do that on Oct. 15. Let's hope we see something of a political earthquake that day.
Also, Don Braid thinks Alnoob's reality check just bounced:

Quote:
Kassam's allegations missing the mark
Don Braid, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mayoral candidate Alnoor Kassam's slam-a-day campaign is tough, lively and certainly well-financed. On billboards and radio, the attacks on Dave Bronconnier are escalating with a fine fury.

In principle, this is good: democracy at work and all that. It would be even better, though, if more of Kassam's allegations had some connection to facts.

We can tolerate a bit of laxity. This is politics, not Bible school. But when the allegations are just wrong, there's really no value to them.

On Monday, for instance, Kassam's team blasted Bronconnier for being in favour of urban sprawl.

The example they used was the new community of Mahogany, which they said will have a density of only seven units per acre (0.4 hectares).

In truth, the community is being planned for a density of 11.2 units per acre. One call to city hall will confirm this; so will a few clicks on the city website.

Seven units is the minimum density for most new development. That used to be the maximum, but a couple of years ago, in a sprawl-fighting mood, council turned this ceiling into the mandatory floor. Now developers voluntarily plan densities higher than seven.

Calgary is often blasted for sprawl by national studies and surveys. It's an easy allegation to make, especially at election time.

But there's something wrong, wouldn't you say, when Toronto seems to have less official sprawl than Calgary?

Calgary is a uni-city that includes every living thing from city hall to the lonely gophers out past Spruce Meadows.

In Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, suburbs and their goat pastures are part of outlying municipalities -- Whitby, Burnaby or Dollard des Ormeaux.

The City of Vancouver itself is a dense central area of about 600,000. This looks great on the surveys. Nobody mentions that the larger metro area, sprawling over vast spaces, is home to more than two million.

Kassam's second blast Monday was a radio ad saying Bronconnier wants new taxes to make your home more expensive, and raise the price of hockey and movie tickets.

The reality is that municipalities proposed such taxes last spring because they were so short of infrastructure money.

The province rejected the proposal, pending further discussion.

Then the cities and the province finally reached a 10-year infrastructure funding deal. Municipalities, including Calgary, have now dropped the demand for new taxes.

Two provincial sources told me Monday that any thought of enabling new municipal taxes is as dead as last week's caucus pizza. It is not an issue at the civic or provincial level.

Finally, Kassam called last week for five-year dog licences because so many people find annual renewals annoying.

Of course, they do. Renewing is easy to forget and if you fail to do it, a bylaw officer will show up on your doorstep. Fido had better not bark while you're claiming he's dead.

But Kassam's scolding for civic inefficiency is misplaced. Bill Bruce, the city bylaw boss, is already preparing to roll out a plan for one-year, five-year or lifetime licences.

Opposition in this election is great. Spending is fine, too. Anybody who hopes to unhorse Bronconnier had better have plenty of cash in his pocket.

Unfortunately, a credible campaign also needs something more -- accuracy.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 5:34 PM
Majestic

I've always liked Don Braid's articles. He has a good head on his shoulders, and it's great when someone uncovers the facts behind the rantings. I don't care much for Bronconnier's position in regards to sprawl (it's more than obvious that he is in somebody's pocket, like all mayoral candidates), but you have to give council credit for what they've done in recent years with suburban densities.

On the other hand, Paul Jackson just reminded me of the various reasons that I don't read the Sun. Anyone who rants nowadays about the "liberal left" clearly isn't worth listening to. Yes, we need to populate council with reactionaries, neoconservatives, and nutbars of all sorts.

Rest assured that if Ric McIver, Steve Chapman, or Al Koenig were in charge of the city, we would see a dramatic shift in spending.

There'd be more emphasis on moving private vehicles around the city than public transit, thus leading to an infrastructure deficit as road infrastructure can't keep up with the increase in demand from private vehicles. Oh noes, we keep building all these wide roads and there are more and more cars! What will we do!? I know why we have an infrastructure deficit, it clearly is the province's fault! Let's whine for more money, it worked for Bronco, right?

There'd be less money spent on affordable housing and more going to the police department increasing the number of homeless and also the amount of police picking up those same homeless people. Wait, did I say they were picking up homeless people? In fact, they are too busy giving people speeding tickets in far-flung suburbs.

There'd also be a halt on the progressive increase in city taxes, causing more projects such as our city attractions to be sacrificed in the name of the people. After all, who cares about the Zoo when little Jimmy (who's parents live in Ward 12) can't get a new X360?

(It's too bad that Jimmy will NEED a car when he hits university, as there will be no LRT either, there's just not enough taxes, all the rest have been spent building an interchange in Shawnessy and it'll have to be put on a study to be approved for a budget 5 years from now, after which it will go through another review process...)

Oh, and that LRT you say you wanted to get to the airport... why should we do that? You should know by now that the government needs to stay out of private business. Let the cab companies handle it. We'll worry about the shortage of cab drivers later.

Flickr

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 6:33 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
On the other hand, Paul Jackson just reminded me of the various reasons that I don't read the Sun. Anyone who rants nowadays about the "liberal left" clearly isn't worth listening to. Yes, we need to populate council with reactionaries, neoconservatives, and nutbars of all sorts.

Rest assured that if Ric McIver, Steve Chapman, or Al Koenig were in charge of the city, we would see a dramatic shift in spending.
Arright, arright, Boris, that's enough preaching to the choir already....

Steve Chapman's fundament will never see the cushions of a City Council chair if I have anything to say about it. Right now, I'm leaning to the candidate who actually answered my mail--Luhnau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Oh, and that LRT you say you wanted to get to the airport... why should we do that? You should know by now that the government needs to stay out of private business. Let the cab companies handle it. We'll worry about the shortage of cab drivers later.
I defy you to watch the nightly Yellow Cab Convention in the parking lot of the Beltline Mac's/Timmy's and tell me we're short of taxi drivers in this burg.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 7:47 PM

Re: the Paul Jackson article, I think he is too quick to paint alderman with an ideological brush. I tend to lean rightward myself, and while I do think we need a few conservatives on Council to provide some balance, but I don't think being left-wing means an alderman is not doing a good job.

Helene Larocque hasn't been a particularly effective alderman, and I think Jim Stevenson would be an excellent replacement. He's been heavily involved in municipal affairs, including sitting on city committees including SDAB. Larocque was a rookie who clearly didn't have the knowledge base to be an effective alderman, but Stevenson is already intimately familiar with the intricacies of City Hall.

Al Koenig is certainly a remarkable individual with some impressive accomplishments in his life, but Joe Ceci is a hardworking, knowledgeable alderman who has done a great job in representing his ward. Another "leftie" who has been a great alderman is Bob Hawkesworth.

I think experience, commitment, some knowledge of urban planning and an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of municipal government are far more important criteria in determining how good a job someone will do as aldermen than what political party they most identify with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy