HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Which is why the status quo is always the bad option. If Bowman would just be 'business-as-usual' at City Hall, then it's time to look elsewhere for our next mayor. So far, that person hasn't put his/her name forward.
I can assure you the better option is not somebody who thinks that following in the path of Nenshi and jacking up property taxes across the board is a good idea.

I know we're going to hear that we need that sort of fresh thinking and foresight and everything else because everybody will want to ignore that this is Winnipeg and that is Calgary. This city needs a mayor who is content to balance the books, keep the unions at bay (which keeps service costs in line), and who doesn't set some sort of ridiculous expectation of future development that only ensures it never happens. We're are definitively on the way down. If somebody starts increasing taxation and trying to 'better' development, we're going to be in for a world of hurt.

Just for comparison, the City of Winnipeg's operating budget last year was $921.6MM. Calgary's was $3B! And it isn't directly tied to population, either. Winnipeg's population represents about 61% of Calgary's and yet only brings in about 31% of its tax revenue, which means that Calgary is also far better at creating wealth and consequently, taxation. And why does this matter? Well, I remember seeing how excited everybody was about their bike lanes last week and how Winnipeg is just such a laggard when it comes to this stuff. I also saw all kinds of self-congratulatory hilarity associated with hicks and rednecks and how they aren't supposed to ride bikes. In any case, it costs more to build a road here than it does in Calgary because of labour rates. The actual commodities could be held about equal. But you can fairly easily see why Calgary can throw this sort of bone to its constituents and why Winnipeg has to think twice. Winnipeg also isn't running any sort of surplus, so this is money that has to come from somewhere else.

And, please. Please, whatever you do, please do not tell me that investing in bike lanes by taking money from the existing infrastructure budget will mitigate the problem because of fewer axles on the road over the long term. This is wishful thinking at best.

And while I'm sure everybody would like to think Rapid Transit is the solution in the long run (not that that article this morning helped that case), but this is still a bi-modal model of rapid transit at best because you can't contract an already heavily sprawling city.

Hopefully the new mayor can reign in some of this new precinct development - though the market is likely to take care of that before any politician will - but it's going to have to be slow and steady.

Like I said. It's going to be a tough road to hoe for the next mayor...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Juba unseated incumbent George Sharpe in the mid 50s, but don't think it's happened since then.
You're right! Forgot about that. The whole 'Trained Seal' comment...

First and last time...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
A couple terms as the mayor of a large city, provincial or federal cabinet minister and you are set for life, you can waste away the rest of your life sitting on boards of corporations and do as much or as little as you want.

Pension is pretty sweet too, probably the most lucrative and guaranteed available.

Katz has proved that you can combine your outside work with your politics quite easily, at least in Winnipeg. It's not like you have to sell off all of your business interests when you get elected.
You dont even have to avoid conflicts of interest or blind trust your private business even when you ran on a promise to do so. Winnipeggers will always accept "meh, I changed my mind" as a reasonable excuse.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:22 PM

Now Gordon Warren says he has "the final solution" to Sam Katz. Good lord. I'm so happy this lunatic is running. This is shaping up to be the funniest mayoral election ever.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
... This city needs a mayor who is content to balance the books, keep the unions at bay (which keeps service costs in line), and who doesn't set some sort of ridiculous expectation of future development that only ensures it never happens. ...
Meh, I disagree. This is the standard Winnipeg mayoral model embodied most recently by Katz. Let's have a business friendly Mayor who will hold the line on taxes, trim the fat at city hall, and ensure a healthy climate for business. Then Winnipeg can finally prosper. The reality is that Winnipeg has very little control over its fiscal destiny. The province is where the real power (and money) lies. Katz's antagonistic relationship with Broadway didn't get us anywhere. It's been nice as a homeowner to enjoy a property tax freeze for most of the past decade, but the city's infrastructure is worse now than ever. City services are more lousy than ever -- how's that privatized garbage collection working out? And are we more competitive as a city? I guess you get what you pay for, and right now, I'm not getting much for my low taxes.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Meh, I disagree. This is the standard Winnipeg mayoral model embodied most recently by Katz. Let's have a business friendly Mayor who will hold the line on taxes, trim the fat at city hall, and ensure a healthy climate for business. Then Winnipeg can finally prosper. The reality is that Winnipeg has very little control over its fiscal destiny. The province is where the real power (and money) lies. Katz's antagonistic relationship with Broadway didn't get us anywhere. It's been nice as a homeowner to enjoy a property tax freeze for most of the past decade, but the city's infrastructure is worse now than ever. City services are more lousy than ever -- how's that privatized garbage collection working out? And are we more competitive as a city? I guess you get what you pay for, and right now, I'm not getting much for my low taxes.
Well, you're saying the same things I am even if you disagree with me.

And the province doesn't have any money. They're too busy handing it back to seniors in exchange for votes...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

this bowman guy sounds interesting

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I can assure you the better option is not somebody who thinks that following in the path of Nenshi and jacking up property taxes across the board is a good idea.

I know we're going to hear that we need that sort of fresh thinking and foresight and everything else because everybody will want to ignore that this is Winnipeg and that is Calgary. This city needs a mayor who is content to balance the books, keep the unions at bay (which keeps service costs in line), and who doesn't set some sort of ridiculous expectation of future development that only ensures it never happens. We're are definitively on the way down. If somebody starts increasing taxation and trying to 'better' development, we're going to be in for a world of hurt.
Katz has actually kept most of the city unions at bay, and moved work out of unionized positions (which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you view our current garbage collection and snow clearing).

At the same time he's bent over for the police and fire unions, not only to increase their pay, but increase their membership unnecessarily. In Winnipeg, that's the easiest way to stay in office, buy the senior vote (the majority of voters) with more police and fire fighters. Our current police and fire services are not sustainable, and it's only being addressed minimally. There was a massive audit on the police, and nothing really came out of it to improve efficiency.

The bloated police and fire services are my top non-infrastructure related election issues in Winnipeg. Unlikely it gets addressed in the campaign though, as they are sacred cows which everyone is afraid of commenting on, other than saying "I'll hire 100 more cops the day after I'm elected" type stuff.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
At the same time he's [Katz] bent over for the police and fire unions, not only to increase their pay, but increase their membership unnecessarily. In Winnipeg, that's the easiest way to stay in office, buy the senior vote (the majority of votes) with more police and fire fighters. Our current police and fire services are not sustainable, and it's only being addressed minimally. There was a massive audit on the police, and nothing really came out of it to improve efficiency.
You can gut CUPE and privatize garbage, but don't you dare demand value for the money from the police. Parallel to the city's audit of the police, the Police Union hired its own consultant to prepare a report showing why we need more police. The public is afraid of crime so it's a no win situation for any prospective mayor. It sure didn't help that Katz made public statements about how underpaid he felt the police were. But what mayoral candidate has the guts to take on the police and fire unions?

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bloated?? wtf

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:16 PM

Anyone who has ever had any involvement with the police can attest to how awful the system is.

I dont know how many times we'd make a call, have multiple units arrive and then proceed to stand around (the issue was resolved and no safety issues present) for ages. I remember one call coming in well the police were on scene at our location where the dispatch called for back up to another call - none of the police on scene responded. A few minutes later, the dispatch specifically called a unit at our location and asked that they respond and the unit declined because they 'were already on scene at another call'...doing nothing at all.

Having police spend hours taking statements is also ridiculous. I was assaulted once and a unit took me and my co-worker to the hospital. Waited for us. Took us downtown for pics. Took our statements. And then shrugged off the extra long shift because "Im getting paid OT to sit here all night".

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
City services are more lousy than ever -- how's that privatized garbage collection working out?
I've lived in the same place for 22 years and have always had private garbage collection, with zero complaints.

So to answer your question is, perfectly fine.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
bloated?? wtf

The fire department could easily service the city with half of the staff it has presently.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

How do you know that? Are you an emergency and disaster planner?

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I've lived in the same place for 22 years and have always had private garbage collection, with zero complaints.

The only big problem with the current setup is that Emterra can't make money on their ridiculously low cost service to the city. We could get a rude awakening when this contract is up and we have to pay a real company to do the work.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:

I'm speaking in a rhetorical sense about the high number of complaints Emterra has received since talking over the contract. It's been better in the past 6 months for me, but I have had to complain frequently to 311 for missed pickups, broken carts, carts half emptied, etc. The service hasn't been great for many people.

e.g.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/03/2...-effectiveness

"A crunching of the numbers by the department of water and waste shows the company [Emterra] missed 16,295 garbage pick-ups and 15,269 recycling collections in 2013. In some months, the company missed upwards of 40 homes per 10,000 out of the 145,000 homes it collects from each week.

Eadie questioned the sustainability of a company with such a poor track record and a staggering amount of fines it must pay over missed pick-ups. For example, in November 2012, the company paid almost $400,000 for missed trash pick-ups."

"The city awarded Emterra a five-year contract in October 2012. Since then, criticism has been rampant, with a 1,414% increase in complaints levied in their first month of operation."

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Katz has actually kept most of the city unions at bay, and moved work out of unionized positions (which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you view our current garbage collection and snow clearing).

At the same time he's bent over for the police and fire unions, not only to increase their pay, but increase their membership unnecessarily. In Winnipeg, that's the easiest way to stay in office, buy the senior vote (the majority of voters) with more police and fire fighters. Our current police and fire services are not sustainable, and it's only being addressed minimally. There was a massive audit on the police, and nothing really came out of it to improve efficiency.

The bloated police and fire services are my top non-infrastructure related election issues in Winnipeg. Unlikely it gets addressed in the campaign though, as they are sacred cows which everyone is afraid of commenting on, other than saying "I'll hire 100 more cops the day after I'm elected" type stuff.
Agreed. 100%.

Not enough can be said about this. A "fresh candidate" approach can hopefully solve this issue because it's only solved by increasing the number of people who actually vote. Until then, these guys show up in big numbers and they protect their turf. I feel like they'll probably back Fielding if he ever declares himself. Which might be fine, because I'm not that confident he can win if Bowman can have a strong campaign and we certainly don't need another mayor beholden to that bloated mass...

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Now Gordon Warren says he has "the final solution" to Sam Katz.

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read it but don't want to be searching for "final solution".

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Now Gordon Warren says he has "the final solution" to Sam Katz. Good lord. I'm so happy this lunatic is running. This is shaping up to be the funniest mayoral election ever.
Wow is he allowed to say that?

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read it but don't want to be searching for "final solution".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...robe-1.2633071

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan