HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks guys. I didn't notice St. Mary's back there. Makes sense now.
For some reason I missed FourOneFive's post saying almost the same, but that's okay. You're welcome. It must have been that nice Rincon Hill 'poster' that FourOneFive made that threw me off.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 6:19 PM
BANNED

More new infill:

1645 Pacific

to replace this:

Source for both images: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:14 PM
North Beach

I noticed this sign on the overgrown lot on Broadway between Battery and Sansome:

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

Not much detail to offer in my picture, but here's how the Jewish Museum is coming along. If only that wall was not there ... oh well.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice shot, Rem. That's not an easy one to shoot because of the lighting (shadow from the Marriott) and the dark blue color. You captured it well.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 1:27 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Nice shot, Rem. That's not an easy one to shoot because of the lighting (shadow from the Marriott) and the dark blue color. You captured it well.
Thanks a lot. In addition to what you mentioned, theres not much space to stand back and get the whole project in one shot. As a result, it came up really close. Looks nice in person though

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:36 AM
BANNED

More infill:

1650 Broadway (between Van Ness and Franklin: now a parking lot)

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

It sure seems like 8 or 9 floors is the new 3 or 4 which is as it should be: Double the density, double the fun!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:34 AM

Slightly off-topic, but I really wish they would redevelop the Tenderloin district. I lived in the TL for over 2 years and let me tell you, it is not a pleasant neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 12:17 PM

Could someone post a few pics of how Infinity is looking these days? That second tower must be getting up there by now?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 5:43 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsayh1 View Post
Could someone post a few pics of how Infinity is looking these days? That second tower must be getting up there by now?
y dont u try looking at the thread on infinity? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=67546

downtown dave gives us updates like almost everyday it seems!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobohimself View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I really wish they would redevelop the Tenderloin district. I lived in the TL for over 2 years and let me tell you, it is not a pleasant neighborhood.
They are continuously redeveloping the Tenderloin. Most of what is going up are "affordable" or other subsidized projects, many for families, but there are plenty of them. The Tenderloin has a 9-story height limit so that's what most of them are. Currently there are projects at Polk & Geary, on Eddy between Polk and Larkin, on Mason between Eddy and Ellis, on Turk and a new one just announced on Golden Gate (I believe--can't recall exactly but it's in this thread).

When did you live there and where? There's some variability between the "hard core" Tenderloin (say, south of Geary) and what some call "Baja Nob Hill"--north of Geary. It's all intensely urban, but upslope from Geary it's a liveable urban neighborhood IMHO. On and south of Geary, you do have to dodge the hookers and druggies when out for a walk.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:24 PM

I lived in student housing on the third floor of the Embassy Hotel on Polk and Turk. I worked graveyards at one of the busiest Starbucks in the nation; on 201 Powell street... let me tell you, those 12 AM walks past the Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist were pretty sketchy.

It's just a shame that the area is so run down since there is so much potential there.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:48 PM
urbanphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Most of what is going up are "affordable" or other subsidized projects...
I wouldn't call that redeveloping that area in a good way. The TL has already reached what I would call a max capacity for "affordable" housing and anymore is not helping out the area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 9:55 PM

Correct. The low(er)-cost housing does little to gentrify the area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:04 PM
California goth

I don't know if its because I'm acquainted with worse hoods, especially down here in LA but the tenderloin doesn't seem bad to me at all. Especially with all the activity around Geary and O'Farrell. I thought this hood already had its share of gentrification ever since the dot com boom. The TL is one of my fav hoods if not my favorite hood in SF.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:05 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Correct. The low(er)-cost housing does little to gentrify the area.
since when is gentrification good? (not that i like the tenderloin as is but it shouldnt be "gentrified")

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
I wouldn't call that redeveloping that area in a good way. The TL has already reached what I would call a max capacity for "affordable" housing and anymore is not helping out the area.
I think you are confusing "affordable" housing with "public housing". Most of the people going into these units are working families (or single moms) with kids making around $30-40K which doesn't allow you to rent a market rate apartment big enough for kids in SF. But it does help the Tenderloin to put hardworking families there in new, modern buildings that are not government owned or managed but owned by various non-profits who manage them well and keep them nice.

I agree with you that the 'loin has enough substance abuse services, free clinics, soup kitchens and so on. But working families?? I think the more the better.

Without such buildings, by the way, there'd be no place in SF for the people who provide services we all depend on. And the city long ago decreed that the heights in the T-loin could not go higher than 9 stories for the express purpose of stopping the replacement of lower-cost housing with highrise hotels for tourists and such. They also decreed that the SRO (single room occupancy hotels--renting by the month) could not be converted to tourist hotels renting by the night. So the Tenderloin is what it is and the only likely change is replacing the older, trashy buildings with new modern ones full of families. I'll take it.

Last edited by BTinSF; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I lived in student housing on the third floor of the Embassy Hotel on Polk and Turk. I worked graveyards at one of the busiest Starbucks in the nation; on 201 Powell street... let me tell you, those 12 AM walks past the Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist were pretty sketchy.

It's just a shame that the area is so run down since there is so much potential there.
Actually, I live at Turk & Van Ness, a block away and I don't think the neighborhood is bad at all. As a matter of fact, I love being a block from the Opera, and City Hall, 2 blocks from the symphony, the Main Library or the Asian Art Museum, 3 blocks from BART and on about 4 Muni bus lines (47, 49, 5 and 31). Admittedly, if you walk down Turk late at night, it's a little dubious but not actually at the corner where you lived. I assume you went to the Culinary Academy?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
since when is gentrification good? (not that i like the tenderloin as is but it shouldnt be "gentrified")
I am sure that you would say and think differently living in the TL. It definitely should be gentrified. They are doing some good things with sleazy parts of Market, and they should do the same for places like Jones street/100 block of Turk, IMO the worst, dirtiest, most impoverished part of The City.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 10:16 PM

You are right, BTinSF (although in retrospect, I don't like to say so). The good thing about going to CCA, though, was the fact that I got to live and work in the best city on the West Coast for over 2 years...San Francisco is responsible for my newfound love of architecture and photography, Vietnamese food (Turtle Towers) and the neverending streams of attractive Asian women.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations