HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 11:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It's nice to see her in her new permanent home in the eastern extension and not a janky stinger gate.

What a beautiful shot.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:25 AM
Closed account

Interesting article celebrating the 5 year anniversary of the launch of BA at AUS. Article states that discussions on a London flight began back in 2005, and American was on the verge of launching the route with a 767, but the merger put the brakes on it.

http://airlinegeeks.com/2019/03/18/a...antic-flights/

Man, it's hard to believe how people actually thought this was going to be a failure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
Interesting article celebrating the 5 year anniversary of the launch of BA at AUS. Article states that discussions on a London flight began back in 2005, and American was on the verge of launching the route with a 767, but the merger put the brakes on it.

http://airlinegeeks.com/2019/03/18/a...antic-flights/

Man, it's hard to believe how people actually thought this was going to be a failure.
That's a nice article, and boy am I glad the service did well. If it hadn't we might not even have a TATL today let alone Lufthansa.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
That's a nice article, and boy am I glad the service did well. If it hadn't we might not even have a TATL today let alone Lufthansa.
True, but what I don’t understand is why people thought it would fail. As we all know, people tend to underestimate Austin and the region. They only look at the Austin MSA proper and fail to realize that the Austin catchment area is much larger. In a lot of ways, ABIA serves San Antonio as well, plus Waco and even as far east as College Station. And this is what separates Austin from its peers such as Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, Indianapolis, etc. The market is really an anchor to a much larger booming metropolis that will one day rival Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston. It also helps that Austin is the seat of government for the 11th largest economy in the world.

It should be no surprise that British Airways has had runaway success. I expect Lufthansa to do well too (maybe not quite as well, but successful enough where it will be daily eventually). I also expect Delta/SkyTeam to do well when they inevitably launch both CDG and AMS. Bottom line, demand is there. AUS isn’t likely going to match the connectivity and level of service DFW/IAH has, but it will be a strong third international airport with all major European hubs covered and eventually, an Asian hub or two.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
True, but what I don’t understand is why people thought it would fail. As we all know, people tend to underestimate Austin and the region. They only look at the Austin MSA proper and fail to realize that the Austin catchment area is much larger. In a lot of ways, ABIA serves San Antonio as well, plus Waco and even as far east as College Station. And this is what separates Austin from its peers such as Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, Indianapolis, etc. The market is really an anchor to a much larger booming metropolis that will one day rival Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston. It also helps that Austin is the seat of government for the 11th largest economy in the world.

It should be no surprise that British Airways has had runaway success. I expect Lufthansa to do well too (maybe not quite as well, but successful enough where it will be daily eventually). I also expect Delta/SkyTeam to do well when they inevitably launch both CDG and AMS. Bottom line, demand is there. AUS isn’t likely going to match the connectivity and level of service DFW/IAH has, but it will be a strong third international airport with all major European hubs covered and eventually, an Asian hub or two.
Well, you have to put yourself in the mindset of five years ago. AUS was the first non-hub second tier city to get a transatlantic flight. It just hadn’t been tried before. It wasn’t the largest city in the US without TATL, nor was it the busiest airport without it. And the available PDEW numbers made it look marginal. Plus, the annual traffic numbers then were much smaller.

Granted, there was a lot of unnecessary naysaying too (ahem*a.net). But statements like “the demand is there” weren’t self-evident at the time. I really *wanted* the service to do well, but I was afraid it wouldn’t.

We had also seen Air Canada come and leave around 2000/2001; AUS-MEX had been tried by both Mexicana and AeroMexico, both of whom threw in the towel and left. VivaAerobus had come, built the South Terminal, and spectacularly failed (admittedly the big Swine Flu panic of 2009 played a big role, but they were struggling to fill planes before then). We didn’t even have reliable connections to east coast connection hubs like JFK (except on JetBlue). AUS was not tried-and-proven on int’l traffic. If anything, it was proven that demand was fairly weak.

So, yeah, we can look at it five years on when BA operates the flight 8 months out of the year with the second biggest bird in its flight and say “duh,” but we’ve got a lot of hindsight here. BA took a gamble and it paid off. Tbqh, the reason we know many of the things you say in your post is because of the BA service.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 10:16 PM

Here are some close up shots of the apron work being done to the southern gates on the eastern extension.

Click to enlarge:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Here are some close up shots of the apron work being done to the southern gates on the eastern extension.

Click to enlarge:
I love the jetways sitting out there on their own. So surreal!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
I love the jetways sitting out there on their own. So surreal!
I love that the Queen visits Austin regularly. We are so lucky to see her before she retires! She is currently 21.9 years old and was delivered in June of 1997. Well, if the Lufthansa service does insanely well we could see the 747-8 here! I can dream

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:06 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I love that the Queen visits Austin regularly. We are so lucky to see her before she retires! She is currently 21.9 years old and was delivered in June of 1997. Well, if the Lufthansa service does insanely well we could see the 747-8 here! I can dream
So is that her name? I just figured that's what everyone was calling any of the BA planes. I know specific plans are named just didn't realize that this BA 747 is specifically named the Queen.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So is that her name? I just figured that's what everyone was calling any of the BA planes. I know specific plans are named just didn't realize that this BA 747 is specifically named the Queen.
The 747 in general is called the Queen of the skies. The specific callsign for BA is Speedbird and this 747 G-IVM is unnamed by BA.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 4:15 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Click to enlarge:
Interesting...Let the speculation begin.

I know AUS has received some of these types of equipment before on charters and/or diversions. However, why place them on the tarmac if they were not expecting a greater possibility of receiving these types of planes in the near future?

A330-200
A340-200, 300, 500 & 600
A350-900 & 1000

I know you can add them later. But, I don't see B764 (DL flies these a lot), B748 (LH) or the you-know-what...A388.

Just thought it was interesting that those lines of equipment were labeled.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:23 AM

I wouldn’t read too much into those markings. There’s E190 markings all over the Delta system that were painted in anticipation of receiving them in 2016.

If they need another type it’s just a simple stencil.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Interesting...Let the speculation begin.

I know AUS has received some of these types of equipment before on charters and/or diversions. However, why place them on the tarmac if they were not expecting a greater possibility of receiving these types of planes in the near future?

A330-200
A340-200, 300, 500 & 600
A350-900 & 1000
I know you can add them later. But, I don't see B764 (DL flies these a lot), B748 (LH) or the you-know-what...A388.

Just thought it was interesting that those lines of equipment were labeled.
It makes life easier if there’s a diversion or charter. UA has run the 764 down to Brazil and back for formula 1. And you never know if someone will bring them in in the future!

I think they don’t list some of the subtypes because they’re redundant with others (at least as far as where to park for the jetway to connect with the door). There’s a manual out there I’m sure!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:18 PM

Casual flyer update — I’m headed out on business this morning and checked out the extension. Delta club still not open, most food outlets still not open. Only four gates were active and every one was a Delta flight. A layman’s data point, but a data point nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Casual flyer update — I’m headed out on business this morning and checked out the extension. Delta club still not open, most food outlets still not open. Only four gates were active and every one was a Delta flight. A layman’s data point, but a data point nonetheless.
If I had to guess, based on this, Delta will take the 4 southern gates and the 4 dual bridge jets will become common use along with Delta’s 3 old gates (or those may go to Southwest).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 9:24 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
If I had to guess, based on this, Delta will take the 4 southern gates and the 4 dual bridge jets will become common use along with Delta’s 3 old gates (or those may go to Southwest).
Delta's old gates appear to be 2 full time SW and one full time Spirit.

I fly Delta about 3x monthly. It feels like it'll be a while before the amenities in the extension are opened. I'm hoping Summer bc the 45-60 minutes to get food at the Hutts is real annoying.

I'm gonna guess Delta is taking the whole extension along with international.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Delta's old gates appear to be 2 full time SW and one full time Spirit.

I fly Delta about 3x monthly. It feels like it'll be a while before the amenities in the extension are opened. I'm hoping Summer bc the 45-60 minutes to get food at the Hutts is real annoying.

I'm gonna guess Delta is taking the whole extension along with international.
I think the international dual jet bridges will be common use, but Delta will use them more often than not.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I think the international dual jet bridges will be common use, but Delta will use them more often than not.
That’s also my understanding. DL does ground handling for AM, so that kind of works out too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:16 PM

Another question probably expressing my complete ignorance of college athletics: Via Air is operating a flight from Williston, ND today.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/i...924347-0-2-123

Any idea why?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Another question probably expressing my complete ignorance of college athletics: Via Air is operating a flight from Williston, ND today.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/i...924347-0-2-123

Any idea why?
Not to be rude to you by any means but I just could care less about ViaAir, all they have done for us is give false promises (Austin's hometown airline, a couple routes that started months late) and no refunds for cancelled flights. It's sad to say but I hope they get the boot and in return Allegiant and Frontier can boost ops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin