HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
(as a side note, I've been considering joining your forum, but what is holding me back is that one can only fight so many battles on so many fronts at the same time).
That's what makes it so much fun...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I also don't think an announcement, if one is going to be made, will be this month, but rather after the season is over. But again, it's all wait and see. I choose not to follow anymore unsubstantiated "my friend of a friend said this" rumors. Concrete evidence please. With that said however, I do believe that we will get a team back in the near future, it's just a question of when.
That makes the most sense. It seems wholly counterproductive to announce an existing team is moving while they're still playing and selling tickets in that city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 10:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
That makes the most sense. It seems wholly counterproductive to announce an existing team is moving while they're still playing and selling tickets in that city.
We knew the Jets were leaving before the end of the 1996 season... it actually helped sell tickets with the "last chance" effect.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
We knew the Jets were leaving before the end of the 1996 season... it actually helped sell tickets with the "last chance" effect.
Remember though, we're talking about a failing US NHL city...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I think the announcement that the Jets were leaving actually hurt them at the box office. In the 1995-96 season, the Jets averaged 11,400, almost 2,000 less than their historical average. Attendance only went up during the last few home games, as people realized it was their last chance at seeing NHL hockey in Winnipeg.

It was hard to get excited about the team knowing they would be gone at the end of the season to US city.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 4:56 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:01 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Five words: thomson chipman richardson coyotes soon.

Very soon.
I think we need to keep quoting this until he explains what the hell he meant by it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:11 PM
BANNED

^ Agreed. However, I'm not sure he'll be posting here in the near future.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i would suspect hes gone and getting himself in some trouble but people are still goin on air saying they seen this guy but no ones got a pic witch u would think with all the camera phones out there blah

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 7:47 PM
BANNED

Five more words: dream, wish, hope, believe, pray

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Five words: trueviking troll Jets rumour false

Very false.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 8:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
^ Agreed. However, I'm not sure he'll be posting here in the near future.

Why, because he heard some information from reliable people. What makes any of what he said untrue? Just because it didn't happen on Mar 4th doesn't make it any less untrue.

The story in the WFP was a humorous mocking of all the rumours - i actually thought that it was pretty witty.

It's funny, because if this would have come out yesterday or next week with out any rumours, everyone and their dog would be saying "oh i knew about that months ago".

There still are some pretty hard facts that make things more realistic about a team returning than ever before - Chipman has a good relationship with the NHL and is doing everything by the book (not like Basilie), he is partners with the richest man in Canada who has a stake in the MTS Centre, Chipman has said publicly he would be prepared to bid on an NHL team should one become available, The NHL owns the Coyotes (not desirable), there are a few southern teams going down the tubes and Chipman just built a $25 million dollar practice facility for an AHL club???

Something is, and will happen - i believe as soon as this season is over. My prediction is Winnipeg will have a new NHL team to start the 2011 season.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:14 PM
BANNED

^ Hope your right, I really like the way Chipman is handling this unlike ol' blackberry mega-bucks.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Five words: trueviking troll Jets rumour false

Very false.
You're out of line. TV actually contributes to this forum. And is better connected in this town than I suspect you are (where do you live again?)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:01 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Ask Hotwired to prove this remark "Five words: thomson chipman richardson coyotes soon." that Viking said was false.

Thompson - co-owner -> True
Chipman - co-owner -> True
Richardson - Rich and a real homer -> Unknown
Coyotes - the league owns them -> Unknown
Soon - could be a relative term -> Unknown

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Ask Hotwired to prove this remark "Five words: thomson chipman richardson coyotes soon." that Viking said was false.

Thompson - co-owner -> True
Chipman - co-owner -> True
Richardson - Rich and a real homer -> Unknown
Coyotes - the league owns them -> Unknown
Soon - could be a relative term -> Unknown
Where is TrueViking since he made that statement ??? Viking, where are you?
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 11:57 PM
visionary

First off Hotwire, TV is not a troll, it was totally not called for.

Even though these rumors spread like wildfire due to the internet and twitter it is not to say nothing is in the works. I believe where there is smoke there is fire. Just like when those denials of Ikea coming but only to turn out to be true.

Although if it is not gonna happen it does boost the moral of this city to some degree.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 12:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
Where is TrueViking since he made that statement ??? Viking, where are you?
probly working

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:52 PM

Phoenix to Winnipeg ?

From Hockeybuzz.com...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...ipeg/119/26818

Peter Tessier
Vancouver Canucks Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT

I just received word of this less than 2 hours ago from people directly connected to the players in this incredible situation.

Now here is the catch-it's not written in stone. I know what I wrote in the title and below certainly proclaims a move. I believe it is almost assured and immanent from what I have been told but it's not official. It is not an official release from some one to me. It is a report from a very close person to the principals who has heard this is in place and ready to happen. The source told me over 90% as their stance of this move happening. If you knew who I was talking to you'd be writing it like I am...

If the old adage of 'where there is smoke there is fire' is true then in no situation has there been more smoke than in Winnipeg. Ever since a local radio station and programming director mentioned that the Thrashers were coming to Winnipeg the city has been abuzz. In the last few days the dailies have picked it up and even made mock articles about what prospective co-owner Mark Chipman didn't say at press conferences- all to infer that something might be up.

Well here it is: the scoop. The one that matters and the one you heard first. The Coyotes are coming not the Thrashers and yes, Mr. David Thomson is involved. The team will be moving to Winnipeg for next season and the thank god. At least this team has a fighting chance versus the previous rumoured option of Atlanta.

The deal is almost in place and there are a few details to be worked out but this is what I know.

First, there is a season ticket provision which Winnipeg will have to meet I don't know the numbers but there is a condition that will have to be met so for Winnipeg folks, get your wallets out.

Second, ownership is part of the True North Umbrella- this is not outside ownership using the Winnipeg location as a loss reducing location- this is full integration into the existing corporate structure of the arena and holdings.

Third, the team will not be called the Jets. Apparently there is a desire (from who I am not sure) that a new fresh start be made with a new name, brand and identity, any guesses?

Now, this is what I do not know but am trying to find out.

I do not know what arrangement has been made with the city of Glendale but I dare say David Thomson probably has enough money to make them happy. Regardless I don't have those key details and will be excited to learn. I have not heard what the details are with current MTS Centre tenant the Manitoba Moose, rumour has it they are going to Saskatoon and the Saskatoon Blades are going to Estavan SK.

There is no current plans for major realignment but it may make sense to take out Phoenix, oops Winnipeg, and add Vancouver to the Pacific division. However there could be other scenarios where great rivalries such as Vancouver and Calgary are not jeopardized, such as moving Colorado to the Pacific and adding Winnipeg to the NW much like it was 15 years ago. This could be fun to think about for awhile.

Regardless of what you think about Winnipeg and it's likelihood of survival as a NHL city, this move should be embraced for all the positives and not looked at as potentially negative. There is no doubt that David Thomson can pay the bills but more importantly it's what it costs to get the team and I imagine it's pretty darn cheap and less debt means the team has a better chance to be profitable. More importantly the city or Winnipeg is a hockey hotbed with nowhere near the ice capacity needed for players. No that does not sell tickets but it speaks of demand for the sport itself and that is something non-existant in Phoenix. Forget the major economic equations and concepts right now, but I have no doubt that even in the darkest days the franchise could have it will never be as bad as what has happened in Glendale.

With the highly aggressive moves made by the Coyotes at the trade deadline it makes me wonder if there is more going on there than we realize, at least operationally. Certainly other owners could not be happy to see a team they are funding being so aggressive with players and salaries, now and in the future, which they would be partially supporting from their own revenues. Could it be that the teams know the Coyotes are on the move and this is the last of the long term pain before they move to a dramatically reduced funding level next year and beyond?

All of these questions, with answers or not, simply lead to more- have enough owners tired of being welfare providers? Was there a coup within the BOG? What has the City of Glendale done that has allowed them to change their position? What else is going on with troubled franchises that we do not know?
Was the court battle this past year with Jim Balsillie, the NHL and Jerry Moyes to assure David Thomson the asset he wanted or is this move totally unrelated?

Did David Thomson wake up one morning and decide he finally wanted to be a NHL team owner? I doubt it. I know without a shred of doubt that friend and business partner Mark Chipman has worked with the NHL to position Winnipeg and his group as an obvious ownership candidate and location. It seems that his patience and tact have paid off as Mark Chipman with David Thomson have done something many thought would never happen again, they have brought the NHL back to Winnipeg!

It looks like all the Gary Bettman sightings in Winnipeg weren't so crazy after all. Mind you if you're not already calling me crazy you will if this doesn't happen, and probably a few more things I'd rather you not say

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...ipeg/119/26818
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Last edited by Pegger5; Mar 8, 2010 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 9:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

you link does not work

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan