HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 1:14 AM

Pittsburgh's US Steel Tower outside columns...

I recently saw online a picture of some of the individual pices that make up the outside supporting columns of the US Steel Tower in Pittsburgh. they are in a steel mill yard somewhere, with a picture of a steel working next to them.
Most descriptions of the US Steel Tower say that the outside columns are "hollow" and have the aniti-freze like fluid in them, but in fact from the picture I saw, the columns in fact are not hollow per say, but in fact are solid steel, with 2 open "slits" in them, and thay are around a half inch to three-quarters of an inch thick, in that ballpark. So the columns have much more steel in them than i thought before. (One can see the inside structure of the columns since one can see the sides of the columns when they are lying down.)
I saved the picture to my hard drive, but I can not post it in the found pic section since i do not know who took the pic, and it would not be posted as a result. If anyopne though is dying to see the pic, maybe you can email me a request, and i can send it to you. My email is the same name as my handle here at that "y a h o o" web site thingy. I had to find someway to get it out there, since its such an interesting picture for anyopne to see that has an interest in the US Steel Tower in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 1:11 AM
Senior Slacker

Tube columns are not "solid" but may appear to be because there are often intermediate plates that help prevent thin (vertical) plate elements from buckling.

A solid column of this size would be hard to fabricate (in fact I can't think of any producer that would be capable of building such a piece of steel), difficult to handle, expensive to build, and be fantastically over-capacity. Most steel sections are limited to about 3" thickness - after which the material becomes too thick to cool evenly and large deformations and internal stresses can occur.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture