HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:50 PM

Yeah there is definitely a lot going on out in the suburbs. Way more than I've ever seen chronicled together in one place actually.

Westminster is doing site grading for the Westminster Mall redevelopment. Broomfield is building out their Arista development with new residential on the south end. New apartments are going in in Golden across the pedestrian bridge from the Jeffco Govt. Center as well. Plus there is a ton going on in the dtc/I-25/SE Light Rail corridor. And I'm sure plenty else in other parts of town where I haven't been looking. Everyone keep the updates coming! I, for one, am actually interested in suburban infill when done right.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Now that the Denver Suburban thread has been officially closed - a fine idea I might add - this thread is designated as being inclusive of the Denver Suburbs. Delighted for the clarification; thank you seventwenty.

I started out earlier to figure out how much new apartment construction was going on in the Denver suburbs. I wasn't interested in Boulder County or Douglas County but rather everything in between. So far I've found is the 300 unit Alta Cherry Hills at 3650 So. Broadway which is in the completion phase and the 250 unit Meadows at Platte Canyon under construction.

In Lakewood there's The Zephyr Line Apartments near the Wadsworth light-rail stop which is to be 95 affordable apartment. There's also the 267 unit Union West apartments near the Federal light-rail station. In Arvada there's the 153 unit Park Place Olde Town project.

Centennial had a 300 unit apartment recently completed at 7700 E. Peakview. In Aurora there's.... crickets.

I could have missed some and I know there's TOD plans in Adams County but clearly there's few apartments being built outside of the City of Denver at this time.
Also in Lakewood:

* Holland Partner Group is constructing Trif3cta in Belmar (220 units).
* Metro West Housing Solutions is constructing Cityscape at Belmar (130 unit senior, mixed-income apartments).
* David Weekley homes is constructing 34 townhomes at various locations in Belmar.
* Lennar Multifamily should start construction on 85 South Union Apartment soon (343 units).
* Prospect Real Estate is constructing the Village at Oak Street apartments (244 units).
* There is also a proposal for 288 apartment units at 1420 Oak Street, adjacent to the West Line Oak Street station.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Also in Lakewood:

* Holland Partner Group is constructing Trif3cta in Belmar (220 units).
* Metro West Housing Solutions is constructing Cityscape at Belmar (130 unit senior, mixed-income apartments).
* David Weekley homes is constructing 34 townhomes at various locations in Belmar.
* Lennar Multifamily should start construction on 85 South Union Apartment soon (343 units).
* Prospect Real Estate is constructing the Village at Oak Street apartments (244 units).
* There is also a proposal for 288 apartment units at 1420 Oak Street, adjacent to the West Line Oak Street station.
Thanks rds for the help. I had seen something relative to the Village at Oak Street but thought they might have already been completed. It looks like Trifecta is now leasing whether done or in completion phase. Regardless, I appreciate the rundown.

I suspect as mr1138 alluded to that we'll see much more activity in the suburbs soon and going forward. Better to have "infill" in the suburbs than lots of expansion in the exurbs.

Just for grins I found this definition of "exurbs" on Urban Dictionary:
Quote:
Master Planned Communities that lay outside the ring of city suburbs. Exurbs are where people can live in big, crappily built houses on the cheap, pretend to be rich yet shop at Walmart, while they spend 2 hours a day commuting to and from their highly mortgaged cribs

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 6:01 PM

There is a ton going on around town, it just doesn't get posted up very much, so people assume there is not a lot going on. As of right now there really isn't a ton of sprawl going on, but that could change soon if the developments at Sterling Ranch in DougCo and Watkins get going. As far as single family new developments, a vast majority is focused in western Arvada (Old Rocky Flats area....I sure wouldn't live there) and up in Erie/North Broomfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Yeah there is definitely a lot going on out in the suburbs. Way more than I've ever seen chronicled together in one place actually.

Westminster is doing site grading for the Westminster Mall redevelopment. Broomfield is building out their Arista development with new residential on the south end. New apartments are going in in Golden across the pedestrian bridge from the Jeffco Govt. Center as well. Plus there is a ton going on in the dtc/I-25/SE Light Rail corridor. And I'm sure plenty else in other parts of town where I haven't been looking. Everyone keep the updates coming! I, for one, am actually interested in suburban infill when done right.
There was some good ones posted at the end of the previous Front Range thread, but I will dig up the one I posted and put it here:

This one is well underway at 7901 Belleview Avenue on the NW corner of Belleview and Ulster in the DTC, but has not been mentioned on here, 285 apartment units over 5 levels. I don't have photos, but you can spot it on Google Earth:

http://www.hines.com/region/sw/prope...l.aspx?id=2439
http://www.meekspartners.com/helios?...hlLUJvYXJkcw==

I'm sure a few people have seen this 11 story office building along the west side of I-25 (CoBank Center) between Arapahoe and Orchard.

http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/...er/workzonecam

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...ng-in-dtc.html
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by EngiNerd; Feb 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:09 PM

Thanks EngiNerd... Admittedly I was barely aware of the previous thread so I'm delighted that my ignorance has brought some good updates.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post

I'm sure a few people have seen this 13 story office building along the west side of I-25 (CoBank Center) between Arapahoe and Orchard.

http://www.workzonecam.com/projects/...er/workzonecam

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...ng-in-dtc.html
Uhmmmm..... just for clarification..... unless a change has been announced and/or this project hasn't finished topping out yet..... this is supposed to be an 11-story building........

Ooooops..... those darn typos, eh?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denconyny View Post
Uhmmmm..... just for clarification..... unless a change has been announced and/or this project hasn't finished topping out yet..... this is supposed to be an 11-story building........

Ooooops..... those darn typos, eh?

Fixed, yes, 11 stories
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Fixed, yes, 11 stories
Just an imho.... I do think that this is a Kool building!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 4:25 PM

I have always kinda liked what they're doing around that Village Center Station, and that is a decent looking building. I am kinda curious what the actual site plan looks like though. Seems like an awful lot of auto-oriented infrastructure right in front of the building. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though until I see it. Phase one with the Light Rail plaza actually turned out quite nice.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:35 AM

Hats off to the Governors Task Force. DBJ's Cathy Proctor has the good coverage HERE.

"Hickenlooper's oil and gas task force advances 9 recommendations"
Quote:
The 21-member group spent most of the day Tuesday at the Colorado Convention Center doing a final review of more than 30 proposals its members submitted.

"I believe a lot of the issues can be avoided by engaging early," said Dan Kelly, vice president of Noble Energy Inc.'s (NYSE: NBL) Wattenberg operations. "I'm excited, worn out, and I think we delivered," Kelly said

Each recommendation needed at least 14 votes, two-thirds of the group, to move forward. Proposals that didn't meet that 14-vote threshold will be included in a minority report to the governor.
I can recall being on an investment blog where conservatives would make fun of anal/liberal Colorado with respect to O&G E&P. But I think they often find a happy medium. It appears that the Governor has ably gotten the opposing sides to work towards common ground. Exploration and production can be a very good economic engine. Colorado's northeastern counties can use the help I'm sure.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:43 PM

Front Range Extended?
Everybody like noteworthy architecture.
Snow or no snow, Aspen came in at #6.

"Gallery: 10 most-stunning architectural designs since 2009"
Click Here

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:16 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Hats off to the Governors Task Force.
Meh. I feel like former petroleum geologist Governor John Hickenlooper is in the pockets of the oil and natural gas industry.

read the other day that the number of days that Denver metro has failed to meet federal clean air standards has nearly doubled since fracking began booming in Colorado, and that fracking is now the number one source of volatile organic compounds released into the air in Colorado.

I realize that this has to happen somewhere, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 10:35 PM

I've been on my ranting horse of late (hehe). DBJ's Ed Sealover has the full scoop HERE.

"Plan to give tax breaks to Colorado data centers faces many hurdles"
Quote:
That skepticism comes not only from its traditional liberal opponents, but from some Republicans who question whether more industry-specific tax credits are appropriate.
Stupid liberals.

OK, it's true that data centers don't employ a lot of people. On top of that they are energy hogs. Many though, like Apple will use renewable sources.

Quote:
Data centers have become hot properties in the economic-development world, as companies investing in them tend to spend near $100 million on the equipment used to store cloud date needed by major companies in varying industries.

Seventeen states have enacted tax breaks to attract them so far.... Mitisek noted that data centers create five jobs outside of the facilities for every job inside them...

A number of companies have opened data centers here in recent years without the extra perk, and real estate giant CBRE recently ranked Colorado Springs as the fifth-best city in the country to open a data center, she noted

Mitisek remains optimistic that reports of large data centers choosing neighboring states like Wyoming and Arizona over Colorado in the past year will help the bill this year
There are good sound arguments on both sides, as you might guess.

True bad sad story.
Arizona lost out in the first round of Apple expansion including R&D to Austin. As a consolation prize Apple bought a former 1st class quality building from First Solar to put in sapphire glass manufacturing to be run by GTAT. Apple even financed the equipment that GTAT needed. Unfortunately GTAT could not perform up to Apple's standards. Hello bankruptcy, bye bye 700 jobs.

Life after death.
Apple recently proposed to put a data center in the building. No ordinary data center this would be a $2 billion Command Control Center. The City of Mesa and especially the state bent over and prostituted themselves. The Arizona legislature quickly passed a bill that defined what Apple was doing as qualifying for certain things. The specific incentive package is undisclosed although pieces are known or presumed. That's the way Apple does business. Austin/Texas weren't bothered.

The point is:
I wouldn't suggest that Colorado should bend over but to take the arrogant approach seems folly to me. If you're a company looking to expand would you remember the state that eagerly solicited your data center business?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:16 PM

i think that these kind of tax incentives should be made illegal at the federal level so, that states don't feel like they have to subsidize big successful companies with taxpayer money just to compete.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
i think that these kind of tax incentives should be made illegal at the federal level so, that states don't feel like they have to subsidize big successful companies with taxpayer money just to compete.
I would wholeheartedly agree. In fact Richard Florida at CityLab has run a number of compelling articles concerning the folly and scam that states seem all too eager to participate in.

Fat chance of that happening though with a now Republican dominated Congress.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:57 PM

Boulder wants developers to keep it down (when it comes to height)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:53 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Ugh.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 4:59 PM

LOL, aren't most of the trees in Boulder taller than 35'? Are they going to cut all of those down to comply with the height restrictions?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:07 PM
cities|transit|croissants

lol. Existing non-conforming trees will be grandfathered in, no problem, but what happens when a new tree grows to exceed 35'?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:24 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
lol. Existing non-conforming trees will be grandfathered in, no problem, but what happens when a new tree grows to exceed 35'?
All new trees are bioengineered to only grow to 35'. This IS Boulder we're talking about.

----------------------------------------------

I can only thank Boulder for their continued investment in the economy of Denver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West