HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 11:15 PM

Calgary Furniture Building / Herald Building Historic Value?

Photos from Space4Lease and the Glenbow Archives

I know this has been discussed here briefly...but does anyone know how badly the original facade of the Calgary Furniture Building was butchered when it was recovered and renamed the Herald Building? This building is across 7th Ave from the Bay...and might still be relatively intact underneath.

I am a bit concerned that its value (if indeed it is restorable) may be overlooked and the building may come down as part of a new development, as Brookfield now owns the half block, including this parcel. As you can see by its original appearance, it is far more elaborate than many of the old buildings in our city that are protected and saved. If it can be restored...any new development should be encouraged to incorporate it into its podium. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 11:18 PM
Round Head

If there actually is intact original facade underneath, it is definitely worth the effort to incorporate it into the development.

I wouldn't count on it though. I doubt brookfield even knows about the original appearance. It might be worth suggesting it to them.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 11:20 PM

wow they should really restore it to the way it was, that used to be a beautiful building, and of course they wanted to fix it up as fast and as cheap as possible and now it looks like a piece of shit what a joke

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 11:47 PM

I shudder every time I walk past that building, someone should send an email to brookfield properties letting them know about the hidden jewel they just bought. I would absolutely oppose any new developement that would result in the loss of such a great building (given that the original facade is intact).

Last edited by Calgarian; Jul 25, 2007 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 1:51 PM

It amazes me that they would cover that up, what year was that done?

I would bet that they destroyed the old facade, just because "hey it's Calgary" and thats what we do.

Also why do they always have to make buildings uglier?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 7:40 PM
Snarkotron

I personally like this building, it is one of only four examples of this architectural style that I can think of in the city; of the other three, two are being torn down and the third is a two storey lowrise building. While not beautiful by today's architectural standards, it is certainly unique in the urban fabric, providing counterpoint to the hudsons bay building across the street through the simplicity of its' detailng, as well as complimenting it through the use of like materials and colors.

I don't agree with the statement that it is a cheap building either: Stone facades cost quite a bit more than the aluminum / glass curtainwall that is being used today, and I think they add to the interest and detail of a building. The finishing of this building was far superior in its' time to that of many of the new crop of developments here, in both its' incarnations.

The building has a lot of history, both in its' current and former incarnations. I would strongly oppose redevelopment resulting in demolition.

I think that there is a reasonable possibility that the brick remains intact beneath the new facade(it may be structural), and it would certainly be worth it to find out.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
wow they should really restore it to the way it was, that used to be a beautiful building, and of course they wanted to fix it up as fast and as cheap as possible and now it looks like a piece of shit what a joke
Well I believe the cladding isn't actually cheap at all, but it was a case of the original facade being 'out of date', and so they reclad it to be all 'modern' and such. I'm really not sure how much of the original facade would be destroyed, since the windows and recesses of the new facade seems to match the old one, and not much of the original facade really stuck out that would have needed to be chipped away.

I quite like it as it was like the baby brother to the taller southam building across the street.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:25 AM

I've put in an inquiry to the heritage powers-that-be. Will let you know if I learn anything. In the meantime, I wonder if there are any records on the renovation to be found in the Cdn. Architectural Archives or Glenbow archives.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 12:33 PM

^Sounds good, Zilla. I posted a question about it on the forums at calgaryheritage.org prior to posting it here.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:03 PM

The heritage gurus respond:

"I have known about the old building for some time and have been asking around. I haven't been able to discover any details but in my experience, in these situations the damage is usually pretty severe... I expect they went in with jackhammers and installed the new facade as easily and quickly as possible."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:49 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
The heritage gurus respond:

"I have known about the old building for some time and have been asking around. I haven't been able to discover any details but in my experience, in these situations the damage is usually pretty severe... I expect they went in with jackhammers and installed the new facade as easily and quickly as possible."
Still, seems like a lot of speculation. Just the fact that the new facade seems to stick out away from the window panes more than the photos of the original facade does, makes it seem like metal hardware might have just been drilled into the old facade and the new stuff just placed on top.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:53 PM

The building looks very cold to me, it would have been nice to have that ornate facade instead of what we have now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 2:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

[QUOTE=Plus15;2970237]

Photos from Space4Lease and the Glenbow Archives
QUOTE]

Wow - I had no idea that is what the building looked like, it really has a Louis Sullivan feel to it. Now I know why people want to "save the Herald Building", I didn't understand looking at it's current form. I hope the original facade isn't butchered too badly. Maybe it will work out for the best as the "new" cladding has protected the original underneath. This definitely must be preserved and incorporated into the new 75 storey tower (hopeful thinking on the last part ). It would be a crime to destroy the original facade. As someone mentioned, I consider this site "center ice" in downtown calgary and it's tremendously underutilized presently. C'mon Brookfield, buy the whole block and - BLOWUP THE PARKADE !

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 8:09 PM
Dr Morgan, AME

The renovation of this building isn't even that bad, considering the butchering that befell its neighbour to the east.

Last edited by Grendel; Aug 29, 2007 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 8:34 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
If there actually is intact original facade underneath, it is definitely worth the effort to incorporate it into the development.

I wouldn't count on it though. I doubt brookfield even knows about the original appearance. It might be worth suggesting it to them.
A professor of mine told me about a year or so ago that the original facade is supposedly fairly intact, and I wouldn't doubt it. Looking at the pictures reinforces my belief that the facade is intact due to the excessive amounts of material used to cover the antique. It seems to me that they didn't strip the building down to the structure, rather they just covered it over.
Dizzy, I just noticed you said basically exactly the same thing.

And to me it looks nothing like a Sullivan, unless you consider ALL late 19th/early 20th century commercial structures similar. I adore the Old Herald building, but don't think its up to old Louis' standards in all honesty.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 8:35 PM
What we play is life.

DP

PS, I wish the FIRST BMO building had not been destroyed and replaced with the 1930's revivalist piece.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 8:53 PM
Hypnotized

Tear it down. Build something new.

How many people did I just piss off with that remark?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 9:00 PM
Construction Enthusiast

If the orignal Facade is still there, restore it. If not, restore and clean up the existing facade, that building still would look great. 30 years from now, we'll be crying about how we tore all the 60s/70s era buildings down.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy