HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 6:27 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
^^^

WORD!

I wore a pink shirt today It blew my mind how many others did.
Right on!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 6:31 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Glad to hear you admit some fun

But, also, despite many of us growing up with the Stampede as being no big thing, and definitely couldn't be a "cultural" experience - it most definitely is. I absolutely love watching various folks being interviewed during the parade from Britian, Australia - even the U.S....and yesterday, one guy from Nigeria (I believe), and they're all fully into the Stampede mood/experience. Or, the many celebrities, and Hollywood productions that even make mention of the Stampede. The dressing up in cowboy fashions is really just to show support for the culture - and honestly makes it more fun (IMO)...adding the "tough enough to wear pink" is the icing though. Even most of the rodeo contestants were tough enough.
Last night down at Stephen ave there were plenty of out of towners, lots of foreign languages being spoken. I saw large group Brits all dressed up in their cowboy gear and were quite hammered. It was great.

I was surprised by how many French speaking people were out and about in their cowboy hats and stuff. That's the kind of thing I like about Stampede. It's Canada's biggest festival, and a good excuse to do some partying.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Open my mind? There's no subtle and elusive subtext or enlightenment to be gained from Stampede. We're not talking about a mind-expanding and transformative cultural exhibition that tests the limits of our tolerance and understanding. We're talking about a ten-day boozefest with free hamsteaks and the occasional decorative haybale. I'm pretty sure I have a grip on the scope and philosophy of this event. It's an opportunity for a city that is normally glued to the status quo to yell "hooooo-ey!" and then see how many hotwings it can fit in its mouth at once. Sounds fun, but I tried it once and woke up the next day naked and covered in bruises.

But hey, I left work at noon today and got drunk. That was fun. So maybe there's something to this
Sorry bad choice of words, I meant to say 'open up a little', I didn't mean to say open your mind. All in all my message was more or less to accept the Stampede for what it is, a week long party. I don't have any connection to western heritage (I'm actually of Chinese origin), but last night I put on a cowboy hat and went out Stampeding, it's all in good fun.

Quote:
^^^

WORD!

I wore a pink shirt today It blew my mind how many others did.
That's awesome! Sadly, I was too chicken to wear a pink shirt, but my girlfriend had a pink cowboy hat

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 2:49 PM

Where are these Tequila breakfasts at?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 4:18 PM

^I'm not sure if there's others...but as I mentioned earlier, one of the "notorious" ones attended by many execs is the Bullshooter Breakfast at the Westin. Great buffet, along with special orange juice. Actually, the juice comes right away at 7am sharp from what I recall.

You stumble out of there around 11am-ish.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 4:32 PM

^Those wacky execs are out of control.

I don't think companies actually see partying during stampede as a problem, otherwise they wouldn't be paying to set up parties and offering open bars. It's a pretty slow time of year for a lot of companies anyways.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 4:40 PM
Majestic

I'm almost lamenting the fact that I don't own a single pink shirt now...

Oh well, over the weekend I was helping out by attending a parking lot, while wearing my funny cowboy hat. It is one of those Alberta Beef ones from a few years back, so I don't feel too bad about not having supported a cause.

Still haven't hit up any parties though...

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
Just out of curiosity what is it you find so funny and awesome out of that?
hes from edmonton and is jealous so he wants to try and bring us down

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
Just out of curiosity what is it you find so funny and awesome out of that?
My thoughts exactly. When the whole city gets into something and is enjoying it, you have to feel pity for the person not enjoying it. Although later Dubiousmike was out wearing a pink shirt and partying.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

So it's only Monday, and what a start to the week. This morning's breakfasts were universally ruined by some nasty rain and (seemingly) tornado-force winds blowing through the downtown. Everyone was in a somewhat pissy mood heading out for lunches, when suddenly, the sun comes out and it turned into a pretty gorgeous day. I think the sudden nice weather got to people, because they sure started partying hard.

Now my thoughts lead me to think this could be the craziest Stampede week ever, or certainly for a long time. With the city finally becoming unaffordable for the 20-somethings that were moving here jobless and homeless in years past, I think we'll see a lot fewer risk-takers and thrill-seekers from here on in. But this year? Everyone is young, out to have fun, and out to blow a serious amount of cash. I think we're going to see some very interesting headlines by Sunday, which leads me to ask:

Would it be too tasteless to start a deadpool here? I honestly think we could venture into double-digit territory from drunken morons falling in front of the C-Train this year.

Seriously though, it's gonna be a wild week. If you hate partying, get out of the city, and if you can't, avoid downtown at all costs. The sheer crowd volume (both numbers of people on the street and loudness factor) today was insane, considering this is just Monday and most people haven't even begun to drink yet.

Oh, and another drunken breakfast: I've heard it called the Buckaroo Breakfast. Apparently it's invite-only, but it's not just a liquid breakfast, it's an open bar. Now that's a way to start your day. Most people don't last 2 hours there, from what I hear.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 1:33 AM
Reach for the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
So it's only Monday, and what a start to the week. This morning's breakfasts were universally ruined by some nasty rain and (seemingly) tornado-force winds blowing through the downtown. Everyone was in a somewhat pissy mood heading out for lunches, when suddenly, the sun comes out and it turned into a pretty gorgeous day. I think the sudden nice weather got to people, because they sure started partying hard.

Now my thoughts lead me to think this could be the craziest Stampede week ever, or certainly for a long time. With the city finally becoming unaffordable for the 20-somethings that were moving here jobless and homeless in years past, I think we'll see a lot fewer risk-takers and thrill-seekers from here on in. But this year? Everyone is young, out to have fun, and out to blow a serious amount of cash. I think we're going to see some very interesting headlines by Sunday, which leads me to ask:

Would it be too tasteless to start a deadpool here? I honestly think we could venture into double-digit territory from drunken morons falling in front of the C-Train this year.

Seriously though, it's gonna be a wild week. If you hate partying, get out of the city, and if you can't, avoid downtown at all costs. The sheer crowd volume (both numbers of people on the street and loudness factor) today was insane, considering this is just Monday and most people haven't even begun to drink yet.

Oh, and another drunken breakfast: I've heard it called the Buckaroo Breakfast. Apparently it's invite-only, but it's not just a liquid breakfast, it's an open bar. Now that's a way to start your day. Most people don't last 2 hours there, from what I hear.
The party action has been high this years. I've been out a few times and people everywhere seem to be drinking hard and having a good time.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 2:48 AM
Community Guy

La dolce vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Quote:
Yeah, our company party is at Cowboys. 4 drink tickets. pffft. I'll stay for 20 minutes, slam all four, say hello, and get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible.

Fuck the Stampede.

It's like Mardi Gras for rednecks.

hahaha awesome"

---------------
"Just out of curiosity what is it you find so funny and awesome out of that?"

---------------

redneck martigras...not so much a slag as a reality...i still laugh when i read it...thank you mike.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:20 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck
It's just about people and conviviality, for me.
same for me. when i lived in calgary i didn't even go to the stampede grounds --- but i would appreciate the stampede simply because it meant that calgary suddenly morphed into what felt like a much larger, busier city.

does the c-train still run 24 hours during stampede?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:42 AM

Yep, 24 hour service (5-8 min frequency until midnight, then 30 min from midnight to 5am, although around midnight-1 its generally a lot higher since there are quite a few trains outbound from stampede park)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
same for me. when i lived in calgary i didn't even go to the stampede grounds --- but i would appreciate the stampede simply because it meant that calgary suddenly morphed into what felt like a much larger, busier city.

It does indeed. Last year I took it in the wee hours and it was full of drunken partygoers, it was louder than it is at rush hour. It was quite comical actually.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Same for me here as well. I haven't been to the grounds in a few years, what I like about the Stampede is the rest of the stuff that goes on in the city, and that's really what makes it Canada's biggest festival. The CNE actually draws more people 1.6 million over 16 days, compared to the Stampede's 1.2 million over 10 days), but the events outside of the exhibition grounds draw something like 2-3 million over the whole week. Not to mention that all bars downtown are busy all of the time.

I won't be going to the grounds this year, but I have a half dozen events to go to including 3 this Friday. Should be fun.

BTW, did anyone see that CBS America morning show was broadcasting live from the Stampede today. It was seen by over 3 million viewers in the US. Gotta like that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:35 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
La dolce vita

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, our company party is at Cowboys. 4 drink tickets. pffft. I'll stay for 20 minutes, slam all four, say hello, and get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible.

Fuck the Stampede.

hahaha awesome"

---------------

---------------

redneck martigras...not so much a slag as a reality.[/B]..i still laugh when i read it...thank you mike.

You might want to check out the Stampede a bit more before deciding what's reality and what's a slag. These days I see as many non-whites wearing cowboy hats etc as white anglo saxon types.

Maybe check through this photo thread as well.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=134320

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:35 PM
That's what she said

dp

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:36 PM
That's what she said

dp

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:41 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
La dolce vita

Quote:
Quote:

Fuck the Stampede.

hahaha awesome"

---------------

---------------

redneck martigras...not so much a slag as a reality...i still laugh when i read it...thank you mike.
I take it you haven't been down to the Stampede recently. These days I see as many non-whites wearing cowboy hats etc as white anglo saxon types.

Some aspects of it still may come across as a red-neck mardi-gras, but the reality is that overall it isn't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy