HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:15 AM

Thanks for all of the updates Turn1. The COTA website has initiated a hotel reservation feature. They have a very extensive list of hotel options around both Austin and San Antonio. The Austin area hotels are going for ridiculous rates. We're talking hundreds of dollars for very mediocre hotels. The San Antonio hotel options are still going for reasonable rates. You can get a decent hotel near the River Walk in S.A. much cheaper than a dump in in Round Rock. And the distance from both locations to COTA isn't that much different.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:17 AM

Is that a bridge in the middle of the straightway?

Last edited by JoninATX; May 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Is that a bridge in the middle of the straightway?
If you are referring to the back straight (Longhorn Straight), then it's one of the two tunnels. The other one is buried, but this one is not yet for some reason. That has always puzzled me, but they did wait a long time to bury the first tunnel, so maybe it's something that can be done quickly as a final step in the surface prep of that area.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
the back straight (Longhorn Straight)
Heh, nice to see that's catching on. I started referring to the Longhorn Straight by that name repeatedly on my FB page & the SPEED TV F1 forum, wayyyy back, immediately after the release of the layout. I do so every time I discuss it.

Hope it sticks!!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
If you are referring to the back straight (Longhorn Straight), then it's one of the two tunnels. The other one is buried, but this one is not yet for some reason. That has always puzzled me, but they did wait a long time to bury the first tunnel, so maybe it's something that can be done quickly as a final step in the surface prep of that area.
I edit the picture up above.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I edit the picture up above.
Jon, that's the tunnel, then just above that appears to be a construction road crossing the track. I haven't been able to see any bridge down there in my recent visits to Turn 11. If there is one, it should be visible from there, as I can see all the way to the Turn 12 flag.

Here's a photo I shot on the 23rd. Still looked like that when I was there Tuesday. You can see the tunnel crossing.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:02 AM
Meh

Cool. Thanks for the updates. I tried squinting towards the track today from a parking garage in downtown, but there was too much smoke in the air.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Jon, that's the tunnel, then just above that appears to be a construction road crossing the track. I haven't been able to see any bridge down there in my recent visits to Turn 11. If there is one, it should be visible from there, as I can see all the way to the Turn 12 flag.

Here's a photo I shot on the 23rd. Still looked like that when I was there Tuesday. You can see the tunnel crossing.
Ok, thanks turn1 from afar it looked like a bridge so it was hard to tell.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:23 PM

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4...alt_goes_down/

Quote:
The Circuit of the Americas in Austin is beginning to take shape following the application of the first layer of asphalt on Tuesday.

Whilst it's believed construction remains behind schedule following heavy rainfall during the tail-end of 2011, application of the first of three layers of asphalt is promising.

The unique formula has been developed especially for the climate and region, according to Dr. Rainer Hart of Hart Consult International which has worked with Hermann Tilke on various F1 circuits.

The final layer won't be laid until a month before the event takes place in November to avoid damage from construction machinery.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
Wait, a month before the event?? I thought they had to inspect it in September. 4 months to go. It's going to be close.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Wait, a month before the event?? I thought they had to inspect it in September. 4 months to go. It's going to be close.
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. But I take all media reports with a grain of salt, very few ever get the facts right. If you look at the article, they just quote the Circuit of America's website, they didn't seem to actually talk to or interview anyone. The "one month before November" thing isn't sourced to anyone, it isn't on the CoTA website they pulled their info from, so I'm guessing the author just heard it somewhere or read it on a forum or something.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:17 PM

Yeah, that's why I posted it. Seemed weird. Thought I'd run it by y'all.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:34 PM

Here's the latest flyby aerial photo, just tweeted by @mazzydan. I think I know that guy.

ETA: My bad. It's not the latest, It's from the 29th. But it gives another look.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:12 PM

AutoWeek: Austin F1 group is marching to a different drummer

By Steven Cole Smith

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120504/F1/120509920

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:43 PM

From the Smith/AutoWeek article:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120504/F1/120509920

Quote:
Indeed, judging from the executive staff, Circuit of the Americas is convinced that a major event is a major event, be it auto racing or horse racing

Racing experience? None. It’s not needed, apparently.
Quote:

That plan presumably included the ouster of the man who did have motorsports experience, Tavo Hellmund, who undeniably did the heavy lifting in bringing F1 to Texas. He cut the deal with longtime family friend Ecclestone; he designed, engineered and named the track; he signed both Australian V8 Supercars as well as MotoGP motorcycle racing to race at the facility, and he was the voice, and the face, of F1 in Texas.

Then, a year ago, friction developed between Hellmund, chief investor Bobby Epstein and McCombs, which has never been explained entirely. Epstein and partners let the deal with Ecclestone lapse, again for no thus-far-explained reason, and Epstein then managed a last-minute, Hail Mary deal with Ecclestone, by all accounts at a less favorable rate than Hellmund’s original contract. There may be some reason for this other than squeezing Hellmund out of the deal he created, and perhaps it will come out in the lawsuit Hellmund has filed. But Ecclestone himself has said that he trusts Hellmund, who “picked the wrong partners,” so it seems unlikely Epstein wants Ecclestone testifying on his behalf.
Quote:
Another fallout from the management mess is the apparent loss of the $25 million Circuit of the Americas would have received in advance of the race from a state fund that gives a subsidy to promoters of a one-time annual event, such as the Super Bowl. Hellmund cut that deal personally, but it became so tainted and such a political football during the clash between Epstein and Hellmund that the state of Texas now says it might pay Circuit of the Americas some money from the fund, but only after the race—and the amount would be tied directly to the tax revenue the event generates.
Quote:
To say Circuit of the Americas is ambitious in pricing its tickets and PSLs is an understatement. The most expensive seat at the Monaco Grand Prix (not including the Paddock Club for serious high-rollers) is in the premium “gold” section—and costs $657. The top seat in the only permanent grandstand at Circuit of the Americas, on the front straight, is $1,250, and that does not include the $5,500 PSL or parking. The least expensive seat at Monaco, in the “bronze” section, is $303. At Circuit of the Americas, it’s $375 in the turn 15 grandstand, and that does not include the $1,500 PSL.

Selling a personal seat license for a spot on an aluminum bench on a temporary grandstand is unprecedented in motorsports, but if it works, the Circuit of the Americas staff will look like a bunch of geniuses.

And granted, while the “season pass” includes the Australian supercars, you have to wonder how many fans would come back for that race to get some value out of their PSL and ticket. According to the Circuit of the Americas projection for economic impact: “The Circuit of the Americas-hosted Formula One United States Grand Prix will attract as many as 300,000 people each Grand Prix weekend, with an estimated 80 percent of attendees coming from outside Texas.”

If 80 percent are coming from outside Texas, how many will want to board a plane or make the drive to return for Australian supercars? It’s a complete wildcard and could depend on scheduling. If the race is run during an off weekend for NASCAR Sprint Cup, some stars from that series could come to race. Or would they? NASCAR owns Grand-Am, and Grand-Am is working on a tie-in with Germany’s DTM touring-car series. So would it be interested in having its Cup drivers race in a competing series?

Also, the 80-percent-from-outside-Texas for the F1 race is an eyebrow-raiser for another reason: Reportedly, for the last few Grands Prix at Indianapolis, more than 50 percent of the attendees came from within 300 miles of Indy. I won’t even address the 300,000 people-per-weekend projection, again assuming that Circuit of the Americas knows its business. The permanent grandstand at Circuit of the Americas, by the way, is expected to hold maybe 8,500, with temporary-grandstand seating bringing the total to maybe 55,000 to 60,000.
Quote:
Additionally, the MotoGP schedule still holds a place for a race in Texas in 2013, but there is no mention of it on the Circuit of the Americas Web site. In fact, there have been suggestions that Circuit of the Americas may be looking to the AMA to fill the date, apparently reasoning that a motorcycle is a motorcycle. MotoGP is regarded as one of the most profitable forms of racing from a promoter standpoint, so it seems odd that Circuit of the Americas hasn’t figured out how to close that deal, especially because that series actually has American superstars competing in it.
Quote:

An additional concern is the fact that, with barely six months to go, Circuit of the Americas has no “official car of the race” lined up, and the only major sponsor deal announced is a co-promotion with Pirelli, which would be there anyway, because the tire company has a deal with Formula 1. Circuit of the Americas seems to be promoting the fact that it is building a track far more than it is promoting the actual racing. The planned Grand Prix in New Jersey, while more than a year away, has already scheduled F1 champ Sebastian Vettel to come drive the circuit next month as a publicity event. That’s the sort of thing you’d think Circuit of the Americas would be doing.

And while the track construction was undeniably behind schedule, work continues at a frenzied pace, and we are past the point of wondering whether or not it will be ready in November. Remember that Ecclestone needs three things to race: A track, fences and a garage. He does not care much about the rest. He has, after all, called the race attendees the “studio audience”—his money is made through sponsorships and television. It isn’t his problem if all the planned track facilities aren’t finished or how well the parking plan works—presently it calls for almost all parking at remote lots miles away, with fans bused in on official shuttles, which apparently won’t be free. This despite the fact that Circuit of the Americas is certifiably In The Middle Of Nowhere, surrounded by prairie that looks, to me, like a pretty good place to park. A rental car, anyway.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:40 PM

Here are few pixs from their facebook as of today.

http://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAmericas

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:43 PM
Meh

So are there any new details or renderings for the planned observation tower? I remember an article saying it would be "23 stories" which suggests 230 feet, but BevoLJ has it listed at 280 feet on his compilation page. Has anything changed with the height?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:53 PM
~Hook'em~

That was my mistake. When I first put up the new thread in the compilations section I added COTA to it and the only height I found was 280 feet. Then a few days later later I saw this article. http://www.statesman.com/sports/form...k-2099095.html

That article is about Miró Rivera Architects who are doing the tower and the grandstands and it says it is 250 feet. So I changed the compilations section thread from 280 to 250 and forgot to change the thread in the Austin section. Sorry about that.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:21 PM
Meh

Interesting. That would be taller than the control tower at the airport.

They have something on their website showing a tower.

http://www.mirorivera.com/commercial.html

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Interesting. That would be taller than the control tower at the airport.

They have something on their website showing a tower.

http://www.mirorivera.com/commercial.html
Check out that link further and you have a very early rendering of the W Hotel. It is interesting how they planned a large plaza to face City Hall. I think this proposal was back when the Children's Museum was supposed to be part of the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin