HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:38 PM

I hate the stick family stickers on the back of minivans.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Liar!
Haha!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Canadians like to bring us down! Next referendum and I will stand and vote YES!

Wikipedia

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I hate the stick family stickers on the back of minivans.

http://randomdysfunctions.com/stick-...mily-stickers/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:55 PM
Here and There

Here is an example of hateful people.....Someone show this on the news please!! This makes me sick. I secretly want to tie up a homophobe and make him beg. I dont have the heart to do such a thing but this video shows the people who really want to hurt.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 6:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's been on the news, KW.

They aired clips from that video here last night:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:17 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Here is an example of hateful people [...]

[...]I secretly want to tie up a homophobe and make him beg.

[...]this video shows the people who really want to hurt.
hate, or righteous anger (as it called by the people experiencing it), is intrinsically related to our sense of justice.

the thugs in this video have attitudes that are anathema to canadians, westerners, and most members of modern, individual rights-based societies. this prompts us to want to eliminate them, to punish them, and to coerce them into recognizing the values we hold as central.

they, of course, see themselves as eliminating, punishing, and coercing gay people into recognizing the pre-modern, traditional/peasant order of strict sexual taboos.

hate is an emotion, not a cause. hate is a component of our social evolution, and will be used — to whatever end — whenever we feel both desperate and affronted.

the idea that the emotion of hate is the specific province of criminals and deviants is satisfying but hollow. we may hate god, hate the devil, hate certain groups, or hate hate itself, but even though we don't have to admit any moral equivalence between these stances there will always be one blade on the human machine whose sides are streaked red.

hate cannot realistically be disowned.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I shudder because I keep seeing variations of this in the forum, although more often about how Canadians from one region allegedly behave badly in their interactions with other Canadians.

I think you need to start associating with a better class of people!
I'm generalizing and people I am close with aren't like this, but I have been in circumstances where I seen this happen. At a fishing camp for one, a job site for another, and a few other instances. roughly ten years ago at our table at a bar for sure. It was a young acquaintance being the fool.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I just hate the Leafs.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 7:46 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Canadians are not hateful. We just LOVE to argue. Often just for the sake of arguing.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:43 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Here is an example of hateful people.....Someone show this on the news please!! This makes me sick. I secretly want to tie up a homophobe and make him beg. I dont have the heart to do such a thing but this video shows the people who really want to hurt.
I take it you haven't seen violence committed against natives and Catholics (saw plenty of both in the 90s. A bit harder to see nowadays in regards to Catholics.)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm with you - not because I feel Canada is keeping us down, but just because this federation is too large with too many competing interests to succeed. Right now, I'm closer to Rome, Italy, than Victoria, B.C. It's ridiculous that my federal government has to balance the views in Victoria with mine and everyone's in between. Especially when enough of those voters are choosing a conservative ideology and path for the federation that has little support here.

Quebec's independence will almost certainly expedite the process of finding a less frustrating solution, whatever it may be. I'm not necessarily opposed to some form of surviving political union, but not a federation with so much control over us based in Ottawa. This isn't some battle between good and evil, or some poetic liberation. It's just not working. In the end, there will be things that were better under the federation, and things that improved with its end. But it'll be our own doing, at least.

So, go Quebec!
To be fair, the majority of voters in Canada voted for something other than Conservatives last election.

Personally have no problem with provinces wanting to separate from Canada (I even think the Cascadia movement seems like a neat idea), but I'd have some serious doubts on how economically viable an independent Quebec would be. In the long term probably, but I think in the short term (first decade after independence) would be a rough adjustment period. That, along with losing nearly $8 Billion in transfer payments (for scale that's more than 2% of Quebec's GDP), would be rather difficult. And that's not factoring in a rapidly aging population.

Newfoundland on the other hand would probably do quite well, at least until oil there runs out.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:11 PM
Here and There

You watched the video I posted? Thats all you have to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I take it you haven't seen violence committed against natives and Catholics (saw plenty of both in the 90s. A bit harder to see nowadays in regards to Catholics.)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
how economically viable an independent Quebec would be
''In Canada, Québec collects and manages its own income tax.''

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:23 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
You watched the video I posted? Thats all you have to say?
Yes I have. I remember that violence. The hazing techniques are a bit different, but I remember the bloody lips and swollen eyes.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
''In Canada, Québec collects and manages its own income tax.''
I'm not talking about collecting taxes, I'm talking about actually having a growing, dynamic economy... You can set tax rates to whatever you want, but if the economy isn't doing well, you aren't going to collect enough revenue.
It just seems like a some of the traditional industries in Quebec have been in stagnation or decline for a while. And breaking off from the country isn't exactly going to cause people to flood in with investment.......

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
I'm not talking about collecting taxes, I'm talking about actually having a growing, dynamic economy... You can set tax rates to whatever you want, but if the economy isn't doing well, you aren't going to collect enough revenue.
It just seems like a some of the traditional industries in Quebec have been in stagnation or decline for a while. And breaking off from the country isn't exactly going to cause people to flood in with investment.......
We could reduce services.etc... but Quebec's independence should not be the 1st priority right now. And the ''separation'', it's not about money.

people don't really talk about independence,

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
We could reduce services.etc... but Quebec's independence should not be the 1st priority right now. And the ''separation'', it's not about money.

people don't really talk about independence,
All I'm saying is... Given that Quebec has some of the highest levels of public services in Canada, the necessary reduction in those due to separation would be quite a shock to the system... And from that side of things Quebec is probably better off staying as part of Canada.

But I understand the motive behind separation is more cultural, and on that front, if the majority of the population is behind it, I'd be in support of an independent Quebec.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:48 PM

Canadians are generally not outwardly hateful, but you only have to look as far as the anonymous comments on several Canadian news websites to see deep-seated hate that some Canadians have. Some have openly advocated for Canada's immigration laws to limit immigration only to white English-speaking countries, for no other reason than not wanting Canada to "change". Others want to see immigration eliminated. Here in Kingston, there have been comments on the Whig-Standard website from people saying that they like Kingston because it is "white", and that they don't want immigrants locating in their city unless they're from England.

In rare cases, we do have hate crimes in Canada, but it's not an epidemic.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Canadians are generally not outwardly hateful, but you only have to look as far as the anonymous comments on several Canadian news websites to see deep-seated hate that some Canadians have. Some have openly advocated for Canada's immigration laws to limit immigration only to white English-speaking countries, for no other reason than not wanting Canada to "change". Others want to see immigration eliminated. Here in Kingston, there have been comments on the Whig-Standard website from people saying that they like Kingston because it is "white", and that they don't want immigrants locating in their city unless they're from England.
I think I would describe that less as hate, and more as fear.
Fear that the traditional culture of Canada is being overrun can lead certain groups to make comments or commit acts that are likely described as hateful, but I'd still say that the route cause of anti-immigrant opinions is fear, not hate... At least in modern times.
Similar situation in the States where a fair number of people have relatively strong anti-hispanic views. I'd guess that the majority fear that the culture of the States is being diluted and being "Mexified", with less having to do with people having a random hatred towards hispanics.

I don't necessarily agree with the views above, but I still think they are more fear-based than hate-based.

Edit: From the 1920's to 1950's and 60's, most majority-white, English speaking countries had immigration that restricted it to, from all things, mostly white, English speaking countries. Even then, when racism was more prevalent and accepted, I still think these laws more than anything stemmed more from the fears that arose during the periods of high immigration in the early 20th century, when people had the same fear of culture disappearing that some do today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada