HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

300 North LaSalle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 1:32 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
The whole south side of the garage facing the river is gone as of this afternoon. This sucker is coming down fast!
FUCK YEAH!

For those of you who mind obsenity, my sincerist apologies. But my job is working me to the bone, and news like this just makes me jizz like a madman

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 1:40 AM

^Pleased to make you happy. I should state that its just the lower 2 levels that jut out toward the river that had its south face riped down. The rear is also being hacked away. The fugly piece of shit is getting raped on both ends.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 1:58 AM
Vertigo City

awesome! at this rate, the entire garage should be completely demolished by next week, if not this weekend. sweet deal!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 2:52 AM

North Side has some knocked off of it too...just saw it from the el platform at Merchandise Mart.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 2:56 AM
Content provider

sorely needed.
I can't believe it stayed up as long as it did at that location.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 8:49 PM

I haven't seen too much in the way of site demolition, but I thought that the way the parking garage has been getting torn up is slightly odd.

Since this building is going for LEED certification, don't they need to re-use materials from the site? I wonder if that's why the garage is coming down like it is.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 9:10 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Any recent pics of the demo? Seems like a lot of you guys walk by the site enough.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b
I haven't seen too much in the way of site demolition, but I thought that the way the parking garage has been getting torn up is slightly odd.

Since this building is going for LEED certification, don't they need to re-use materials from the site? I wonder if that's why the garage is coming down like it is.

No, LEED is a point system, in which many sustainable design features are awarded point values. The total poins earned determines the overall rating of 'certifed', 'silver', 'gold' or 'platinum'. Recycling materials is only one way of earning a LEED point(s). Heneghan's crew is knocking this down like any other job, recycling rebar and other metal is common. Its a way to recapture some cash from an expensive demo job. The only unusual thing about tis job, is the riverfront location, requiring extra care on the south side of the site.

The garage is really being ripped apart now, about 1/5 of it is gone forever; reduced to ruble and rebar. I took some pics, but don't have any time to upload them rigt now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 9:30 PM

^I wonder if they'll earn LEED points for access to public transit. . . seems like easy points for a project anywhere in and around the Loop. . .

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 4:00 PM

Quote:
No, LEED is a point system, in which many sustainable design features are awarded point values. The total poins earned determines the overall rating of 'certifed', 'silver', 'gold' or 'platinum'. Recycling materials is only one way of earning a LEED point(s). Heneghan's crew is knocking this down like any other job, recycling rebar and other metal is common. Its a way to recapture some cash from an expensive demo job. The only unusual thing about tis job, is the riverfront location, requiring extra care on the south side of the site.

The garage is really being ripped apart now, about 1/5 of it is gone forever; reduced to ruble and rebar. I took some pics, but don't have any time to upload them rigt now.
OK, I see. I was just watching it a bit last weekend and on the south side of the structure they were jackhammering it such that the garage floors were coming out in approx 10' x 10' sections. As if they were attempting to keep the pieces large enough to do something with.

In all the other demolition I've seen they just smash it all up and throw it in a dump truck, presumably (hopefully) for recycling at an offsite location.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 5:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that is a bit peculiar because, you're right, they normally just smash parking garages to pieces, pick out the rebar, and truck the concrete rubble off to the recycling plant. perhaps there is some structural reason for the careful 10'x10' dismantling, or perhaps they have to be extra-sensitive due to the river front location (keeping the dust levels extra low?). whatever the reason, i can't think of any practical re-use applications for 10'x10' squares cut out of existing poured in place concrete floor slabs.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 9, 2006 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 1:50 AM

From the North Side this evening 1/3 to 1/2 is gone:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 1:53 AM
THAT Guy

These pictures are awesome, especially with the nicely lit background.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 1:48 PM

Demolition never looked so beautiful.

I imagine the neighboring condo residents in the former Helene Curtis building are jumping for joy. One day your lower floor condo looks out onto a dilapidated parking structure. Then, the next day you open the window and find unobstructed river views and a beautiful plaza which will likely never be redeveloped in our lifetimes. I can see where the owners might have predicted the demise of the garage, but logically predicted a modern tower in its place...not an open riverfront plaza.

This is one occasion where new development enhances neighboring views.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 9:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago
^I wonder if they'll earn LEED points for access to public transit. . . seems like easy points for a project anywhere in and around the Loop. . .
^ I don't know about adding points, but I think being close to transit is considered a criteria for LEED certification

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 10:39 PM
Vertical Polyphony

Wow was that great!! I just spent 20 minutes watching them demolishing the garage. Shock waves rippled through the LaSalle Street bridge and viaduct each time the wrecking ball pounded into the garage. Who else would love to be at the controls of that wrecking ball-crane and take a couple of swings? That's gotta be one of the best jobs inn the world!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Demolition never looked so beautiful.

I imagine the neighboring condo residents in the former Helene Curtis building are jumping for joy. One day your lower floor condo looks out onto a dilapidated parking structure. Then, the next day you open the window and find unobstructed river views and a beautiful plaza which will likely never be redeveloped in our lifetimes. I can see where the owners might have predicted the demise of the garage, but logically predicted a modern tower in its place...not an open riverfront plaza.

This is one occasion where new development enhances neighboring views.
Helen Curtis is still an office building. Most of te space is now taken up by the Chicago School of Socioligy.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
^ I don't know about adding points, but I think being close to transit is considered a criteria for LEED certification
Proximity to transit and how the site is intergrated with the community is just one way of earning LEED points (up to 3 I think), additional points can be earned through providing for alternative means of transport such as bicycle storage and shower facilities.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Helen Curtis is still an office building. Most of te space is now taken up by the Chicago School of Socioligy.
Huh? I thought that building went condo?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2006, 7:54 PM
Because I'm Clever!

More photo fun from the future. (Note: first 3 have an inaccurate crown, the last 3 are fixed)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive