HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The thing is the Seaholm building isn't all that big. It's only about 117,000 square feet. That's smaller than most Walmarts. I'm not sure mall is the right word for it. It would be ok as a retail space, but would really be kind of limited and couldn't be expanded without eating up green space on the property. It would work much better as a market place type development if you wanted to do any kind of retail. It would be a decent grocery store or farmer's market. But to use it as generic office space just seems to really be under utilizing it. Can you imagine going there for fresh foods and then sitting outside in the greenspace/public areas enjoying it your food? That space has the potential to be Austin's main public attraction in downtown. Instead it's being privatized and shuttered to the public. Being that it was a power plant, it's always been a public building, even if it was off limits to the general public.
Kevin I hear you loud and clear .... I wish it could have been public space. But the part of the space that would be cool to be in.... the shear scale, would not be utilized as a farmers market would it? It's me trying to have a rational thought of what I would do that would create enough use and revenue to pay for itself. I actually think the missed opportunty was the public library. However, would any use that utilizes the space actually have to infill the building to have "floors and walls" to the point that it would not have the open space that is so cool? There are certainly ways to do it, and personally I would have rather seen a modern library sitting side that space. Libraries are destinations that need lots of specifially indoor space and are destination locations. I feel that could have worked. ( totally armchair opinion of course). It seems like the problem with making that profitlable with retail would also require filling the space in and then all we are really left with is the outer walls. in essence, wouldn't you have to make it a mulitlevel "mall" to get enough stores in there to make $?

It will be interesting to see how the builidng is indeed used. What in volume inside will be like.... how will they deal with the widow spaces.

Moving forard. I do hope they find a modern way to deal with the openings in the building. (the large widow spaces) Repsect the historical, but find a way to contrast modern features. Crossing fingers for that!

Last observation and point of debate: We all have our places in town where we draw the line and want to "protect what was". Does anyone want the view of Seaholm disrupted from the lake? Just curious. Is this the common ground that the big three Laura, Kathy and Jeff ( makes me shudder just to say thouse names togeher) might see things the same way? OK,.. that was so the devils advocate question.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 8:24 AM

Quote:
It would work much better as a market place type development if you wanted to do any kind of retail. It would be a decent grocery store or farmer's market.
Funny you should mention that, Kevin. I saw this in Friday's Austin Business Journal:

Who’s up for building a market?
Report: Idea ripe in Austin
By Robert Grattan
April 19, 2013

Quote:
The latest idea for boosting economic development in Austin has more to do with tacos than technology. The city is considering building a permanent public marketplace that would serve as the heart of an increasingly visible — and valuable — local foods movement.

The idea for a permanent marketplace, similar to Pike Place Market in Seattle or Grand Central Market in Los Angeles, has gained momentum after a city-sponsored economic analysis estimated that local food added $4 billion to Austin’s economy in 2011.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
The thing is the Seaholm building isn't all that big. It's only about 117,000 square feet. That's smaller than most Walmarts. I'm not sure mall is the right word for it. It would be ok as a retail space, but would really be kind of limited and couldn't be expanded without eating up green space on the property. It would work much better as a market place type development if you wanted to do any kind of retail. It would be a decent grocery store or farmer's market. But to use it as generic office space just seems to really be under utilizing it. Can you imagine going there for fresh foods and then sitting outside in the greenspace/public areas enjoying it your food? That space has the potential to be Austin's main public attraction in downtown. Instead it's being privatized and shuttered to the public. Being that it was a power plant, it's always been a public building, even if it was off limits to the general public.
Rumor is that the tenant that CIM found to take all of Seaholm's office space is WeWork. They are basically a high-tech executive suite service on steriods. They rent out individual offices or small groups of offices to small companies, individuals and startups on a short-term basis and provide a super-extensive list of services like shared conference rooms, main receptionist, wifi, group health insurance (?!), zip car service, credit card processing, etc. Their motto is "Get To Work, We'll Take Care Of The Rest."

It is a great idea. The setting is unique and high-end executive suites attract creative thinkers. The overhead on these types of ventures is big and they are successful when they keep them 80%+ occupied, and they tend to cram them in there like a hotel to maximize their profit. I don't know where they are going to park all those people. The increase in parking to accommodate the office portion is mainly coming from the garage that will be built as part of the residential building, and that is proposed to be the last part of the redevelopment. Another company tried something like this in the Scarbrough Building - eSuites - and it failed because there was no parking. Everyone said that eSuites would attract non-car commuters but that just wasn't the reality. Of course, eSuites was before all the condos downtown and the rail line, so hopefully this will be more successful. At least it won't be generic office space.

Here's a link to the WeWork site: https://www.wework.com/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:34 AM
~Hook'em~

That is interesting. Doesn't UT have something like this? Or I think they partnered with someone to do something like that.

Anyway if that is what it going in the office space there, I'd feel a lot better. It might be a good fit.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 9:15 AM

The City of Austin and the Parks and Recreation Department is looking for the public’s ideas on the adaptive reuse of the Seaholm Intake Facility and the surrounding park land. This former pump building, not to be confused with the iconic Seaholm Power Plant across Cesar Chavez Street, appears to float gracefully over the water on the north bank of Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin, Texas. After being in operation since the late 50s, the entire complex was decommissioned in 1996, in preparation for adaptive reuse. Almost twenty years later, as the adjacent Seaholm Redevelopment project breaks ground this month, the time has come for this standalone structure to find its role today’s Austin.

The different organizations sponsoring the event will host a series of Open Houses on Wednesday, April 24th at 11am to 1pm, Friday April 26th from 5pm to 7pm and Saturday April 27th from 11am to 2pm on site where the public can explore the structure, learn about its history and the surrounding projects, as well as give their input on its suggested future use.

For more information on the project, competition handbook, and registration please visit the Parks and Recreation Department project website www.austintexas.gov//department/seaholmintake

For an interactive forum on the subject, visit www.speakupaustin.org

To voice your opinion or share images, tag @AustinCityParks and use #imagineSeaholmIntake

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 6:06 PM

I took these shots yesterday morning. Sorry for the poor (phone) quality.

Seaholm is literally breaking ground.

Heavy machinery is demolishing the concrete lot north of the structure. The areas surrounding the furnace and stacks have been fenced off for what appears to be a remediation and waste elimination operation.

There are actually four active projects in this image.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:14 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the pics, Matt.

I wasn't sure I'd ever see the day that this project broke ground. I'm so glad it finally did.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:27 PM

Looking at that angle (thanks Matt!), I wonder if the train noise is going to get worse for residents because of a "canyon effect" that will form around that part of the track.

Ok, so what's the fourth project? I see 311 Bowie, Gables, and Seaholm active. Are you referring to the Barton Springs rd condos south of the river (is that the crane in the distance on the left)?

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Ok, so what's the fourth project? I see 311 Bowie, Gables, and Seaholm active. Are you referring to the Barton Springs rd condos south of the river (is that the crane in the distance on the left)?
Yup, it looks like the luffing crane over at the Coldwater project.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 10:14 PM

It sure would be nice to see the power lines and electrical transformers and the train track relocated, and even though the 5 stacks are iconic, I personally wouldn't mind seeing them come down.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It sure would be nice to see the power lines and electrical transformers and the train track relocated, and even though the 5 stacks are iconic, I personally wouldn't mind seeing them come down.
Gotta keep the stacks..... but...they are ripe for augmentation! I've
always wanted to do something with them!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:41 AM

I really want to like the stacks, but I don't. They make the area look like it is a factory district. Maybe, just maybe if they are creatively lit at night I will change my mind, but as they stand now I think they are a detractor to the art deco features of the Seaholm.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:55 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinaustin View Post
I really want to like the stacks, but I don't. They make the area look like it is a factory district. Maybe, just maybe if they are creatively lit at night I will change my mind, but as they stand now I think they are a detractor to the art deco features of the Seaholm.
This is Austin. It'll be easy to convince city leaders to utilize them as an art display of some sort.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Gotta keep the stacks..... but...they are ripe for augmentation! I've
always wanted to do something with them!
What exactly would you like to do with them? I love the power plant building, but those stacks are a distraction to me.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:52 PM

I have to agree with those siding against the stacks. They stand out too much. The historically valuable thing there is the building, not the stacks. I wish they'd get rid of them, but they won't. They're included in the final design:

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:17 PM

I like the stacks. One reason may be because when I visited Spokane WA once, they had turned an old steam plant into a office/restaurant center. You can actually walk inside the old stacks and see through the top opening...nothing mind blowing but I thought it was cool. I liked the nostalgia feeling of it. Maybe they could do something similar here.

Found the link

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:17 PM
~Hook'em~

I would very much miss the stacks if they removed them. Like I would really REALLY miss them. Would make me very sad.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:04 PM

The Stacks are wonderful industrail element that adds Contextuaral/Historical/Graphic interest to the site. They become industrial "art" sculpture in and of them selves.. I am sure they will be lit at night. What a great empty palate at night.! That would probalby be the best thing to do because they could constantly change.
I have always seen them as a series of hugh poles to put something on top of. Objects, shapes ( cars, airstreams!) ....etc. Perhaps long term. Or change it out..... not practical I'm sure, but thinkk of them as a larger version of the fork at Hyde Park Grill! How fun would that be? Maybe a once a year competition to have an ever evolving Large public art work porject.
All possibilities.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 7:26 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I want the stacks to stay. Light 'em up, but don't get too crazy with them.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Stacks are wonderful industrail element that adds Contextuaral/Historical/Graphic interest to the site. They become industrial "art" sculpture in and of them selves.. I am sure they will be lit at night. What a great empty palate at night.! That would probalby be the best thing to do because they could constantly change.
This.

I can imagine what cool things could be done on those stacks with lighting! They could project vertical words on them for special occasions, use different colors changing, etc. Or even do something like what they did with the UT tower using 3D projection:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin