HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:12 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Really, I think its very clean and modern. No its not flashy, or has this extreme wow factor. But this will be great infill for DTLA.
I agree. But as you know...plenty of people in here will pivot to "its bland"...to "its too busy"...or whatever their current days mood leads them to think of any LA project. Its a sleek much needed tower going up on another parking lot, near shopping and transit. I'm good with that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfiend View Post
Wow, talk about boring and homogenous. The new 40-flr Mitsui Fudosan rendering for 8th is about as generic as you can get.
If DTLA had a few dozen of these buildings, I'd agree. But we don't, so I really like it. Especially the 40 footer by Mitsui, it would be a great addition to the cluster of buildings along Olive. And most importantly, it will add the density we all want to that area.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:06 PM

It looks straight out of Chicago, so honestly I'm in love with it. Simple, clean, and urban, I couldn't have asked for much better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:46 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The materials look similar to Columbia Square, another Johnson Fain design.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Just three blocks? All of Bunker Hill needs redevelopment.
You certainly don't mean those 60's/70's brutalist-looking, with color splotches, 20? story buildings, strung along the hill? Those should be put on the historical register, not torn down, IMO! And those curved all glass towers? You tear those down, and there ends my trip to DTLA!

I all but worship curved glass buildings like that, and if could only have sex with one of those buildings, I'd do it!

By the way, I was museum hopping, on a one day trip, last Wednesday, and after leaving the Last Bookstore on 5th/Spring I took the bus up Broadway to Chinatown, and noticed 2 deep holes on both sides of Broadway, before entering Chinatown. What's going in there? More housing? With the holes so deep, I'm guessing something of a higher nature, no?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:13 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
I agree. But as you know...plenty of people in here will pivot to "its bland"...to "its too busy"...or whatever their current days mood leads them to think of any LA project. Its a sleek much needed tower going up on another parking lot, near shopping and transit. I'm good with that.

This looks like a majority of the residential towers under construction here in Chicago. Which is to say, this is a modern, no frills, contemporary building that I really like. I even like the podium.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
You certainly don't mean those 60's/70's brutalist-looking, with color splotches, 20? story buildings, strung along the hill? Those should be put on the historical register, not torn down, IMO! And those curved all glass towers? You tear those down, and there ends my trip to DTLA!

I all but worship curved glass buildings like that, and if could only have sex with one of those buildings, I'd do it!

By the way, I was museum hopping, on a one day trip, last Wednesday, and after leaving the Last Bookstore on 5th/Spring I took the bus up Broadway to Chinatown, and noticed 2 deep holes on both sides of Broadway, before entering Chinatown. What's going in there? More housing? With the holes so deep, I'm guessing something of a higher nature, no?
I believe the hole on the left side is residential for sure.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:

It's Trammel Crow's La Plaza development on both sides. 355 residential units with pedestrian walkways and a ton of ground floor retail

http://urbanize.la/post/la-plaza-cul...-breaks-ground

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
La Plaza Cultura Village. 355 Residential units, 43,000sf of retail.

http://urbanize.la/post/la-plaza-cul...-goes-vertical

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:11 PM

So, I guess the only major tower (that we know of) left to reveal itself is Crescent Heights, next to ten50. Not counting Angels Knoll, since a developer hasn't bought the property yet.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:29 PM

The tower for 8th actually looks like somewhere I'd want to live - tall, graceful, clean lines. There are no gimmicky color schemes or unnecessary cosmetic flourishes. Agree with those who say this would fit in alongside towers in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:59 AM

Is it me or is the Wilshire Grand's beacon lit up tonight?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Is it me or is the Wilshire Grand's beacon lit up tonight?
The beacon has been lit since it was installed last year. It's required to do so by the FAA. Do you mean the spire? I know it was lit at first but I think it's been dark for the past couple months.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
The beacon has been lit since it was installed last year. It's required to do so by the FAA. Do you mean the spire? I know it was lit at first but I think it's been dark for the past couple months.
The perforated aluminum section of the spire was just lit in blue and gradually turned green. Just confirming if they're LED testing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
La Plaza Cultura Village. 355 Residential units, 43,000sf of retail.

http://urbanize.la/post/la-plaza-cul...-goes-vertical
Thanks for the upload! On my day trips to L.A., I always seem to end the day at The Last Bookstore, and taking a bus up Broadway to Chinatown, so this will make this part of the day trip more interesting, as I love to see construction shows. I just hope they don't destroy some of the seedier parts of Chinatown with new construction. It wouldn't be the same!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:18 AM

So apparently they did test out the LED lights on the spire. Just searched #wilshiregrand on IG.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
So apparently they did test out the LED lights on the spire. Just searched #wilshiregrand on IG.
Yeah, it also looks like they fixed the lighting issue. I saw the entire spire lit up, i'm happy they fixed it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:44 PM

Awesome, can someone get pictures/videos tonight?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Awesome, can someone get pictures/videos tonight?
I'll try and post tonight...but I hate to say, that I'm not impressed. The entire spire really isn't lit. I hope this isn't the final result.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:10 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Found another rendering of City Lights:

http://www.tricalconstruction.com/pr...-lights-hotel/

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations