HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
What are the seats like at NMS when at full capacity? Are the stands raked steeply enough to see over the people in front of you? Are they wide enough sideways to sit comfortably when you are surrounded by others? Can people pass by you in your row easily if you stand up? I was at the last game at old Mosaic and was literally crammed into the upper deck of the southwest stands. There was no room sideways, forwards or backwards.

THF is indeed a barebones stadium, but a massive improvement over tiny Ivor Wynne. While Ivor Wynne could hold more people, they were crammed into bench seating with little room. While holding fewer people even though physically far larger, THF actually has quite comfortable seating even when the place is full.
Seats are more than wide enough for the average guy. Standing up with the seat folded gives plenty of room to pass, though the cup holders do get in the way slightly... And yes, the seats are raked well. The endzone and corners are actually a steeper rake than the sidelines as well to give a better viewing angle.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
I was there to see the blue and gold win , fantastic game and stadium is great ! Good that Bombers and Riders have first class facilities ! I had only 2 minor complaints , signage for concessions and sections and washrooms need improving tough to find stuff using the signs , the other one is most of concessions under the stands so you can't watch game in line like you can at IGF! Great experience makes CFL look first class.
Yes but that's good stadium design. You free up more concourse space, and make use of more dead space when you do that. TV screens let you see the game in line. It also allows you have more facings of seats, and protects the concourse from the elements in winter games.

Looking at things like that, concourse design, even just the seating layout on the map - it's so blatantly obvious that way more thought was put into the design of Mosaic than IGF. It's clear IGF was a lazy/inexperienced design. It's a single bowl that's identical all around, with two loges. No thought was put into where people or vendors would go.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:24 AM

New Mosaic

Not to debate ,( but I will ,lol ) concessions are against outer wall away from the stands and the lineups were going straight back and it was gridlock ! No room barely to walk by , at least in lower concourse which we were at . That may improve over time as it was first game , went to 600 level , top sections at Mosaic and I think IGF upper bowl is closer to action than Mosaic is , The end zones are steep and with upper bowl in the one end zone the viewing is better than IGF because you are up higher and can see field better !

Last edited by pegcityboy; Jul 5, 2017 at 4:29 AM. Reason: Needed to something

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:35 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Not to debate ,( but I will ,lol ) concessions are against outer wall away from the stands and the lineups were going straight back and it was gridlock ! No room barely to walk by , at least in lower concourse which we were at . That may improve over time as it was first game , went to 600 level , top sections at Mosaic and I think IGF upper bowl is closer to action than Mosaic is , The end zones are steep and with upper bowl in the one end zone the viewing is better than IGF because you are up higher and can see field better !
Yup, a better line-snaking kind of thing would help with congestion. It was most noticable for me in the North East part of the stadium, elsewhere it was pretty minimal (at least on the East side).

As for the upper tier, it seems like Mosaic's lower tiers might be larger? So it would likely make sense that IGF's upper tier is a bit closer to the field.

For those that were at the game, the drum line's spot on a ledge in the upper tier was pretty awesome.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:39 AM

New Mosaic

Yes perfect spot for the drum line , I agree , great that the CFL s two most loyal and passionate fan bases have top notch stadiums !

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:35 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Yes perfect spot for the drum line , I agree , great that the CFL s two most loyal and passionate fan bases have top notch stadiums !
Cheers to that.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:12 PM

In the upper far corners of the stadium there is 4 large patios. The Drum Line is located in the NE patio. The other 3 are open for anyone to stand around and watch the game. It gives a great vantage point from that spot. And a great meeting spot. This is in addition to the 2 main patios in the endzones on the main level.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 11:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:52 PM

I just noticed in my phone that Google created this pano for me out 3 photos I took on July 1.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:52 PM

That's a great photo Stormer. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:13 AM

Fantastic news for New Mosaic Stadium
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...195/story.html

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Haha I love the ancient picture of BMO it doesn't look anything like that anymore. Also how can McMahon possibly be on the list. Easily the worst stadium in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 4:10 PM

Some nice shots on the architect's Twitter feed. Hopefully some nice shots of Sundays concert will be posted. GnR is supposed to have a massive 20 semi trailer set.

https://twitter.com/HKSArchitects/st...09058652057602

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
It's funny how their was huge uproar when Winnipeg hosted Women's World Cup about them playing on artificial turf. It was said any stadium with artificial turf would never host a Men's World Cup.

And here we are. That's the reason I thought Winnipeg was held off the list (which I didn't even look at until now to be honest). But I guess not. How does crappy McMahon get in there?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's funny how their was huge uproar when Winnipeg hosted Women's World Cup about them playing on artificial turf. It was said any stadium with artificial turf would never host a Men's World Cup.

And here we are. That's the reason I thought Winnipeg was held off the list (which I didn't even look at until now to be honest). But I guess not. How does crappy McMahon get in there?
Regina has specifically said they would put in real grass temporarily if the ever got World Cup games. It is actually not terribly difficult, I am told. If the artificial turf is in good shape. it can be reinstalled.

Totally agree about McMahon.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 6:46 PM

This may be a stupid question, or a topic beaten to death so my apologies... But I was wondering if the New Mosaic has the ability to build a retractable roof in the future? If so, is there ideas or plans on how it could be built?

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler19944 View Post
This may be a stupid question, or a topic beaten to death so my apologies... But I was wondering if the New Mosaic has the ability to build a retractable roof in the future? If so, is there ideas or plans on how it could be built?

Thanks!
It is officially 'roof ready', but practically speaking, there will never be a complete roof put on it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:19 PM

It's settled. Mosaic is a great venue for major concerts. It is large but still feels very intimate. The two-tier north endzone works great. It is so sheltered I think they would so just fine with Oct and early May concerts. Sound is great also. You can see the Louvers below the roof were opened to cool thing off on a warm evening.

Credit: Gareth Dillistone‏ @CTVGareth Twitter

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:22 PM

I heard the sound was really good in some areas and muffled in other areas.

Great photo! Is it yours, Stormer?

Curious how the buses were for the concert? Did you drive or hop transit?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
It is officially 'roof ready', but practically speaking, there will never be a complete roof put on it.
That's what I figured, I just never kept up with the roof news thinking it wouldn't happen. I just wanted to confirm.

Here's hoping it happens one day!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan