HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 9:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Now there is some chatter in Moncton about doing the same thing in Moncton.
I'd go. Once.
But I don't think it's sustainable as a regular thing.
They're school day games. Most teams do them in the CHL as a once-a-year thing. They're solely to fill the rink with buses of kids from local schools.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:19 PM

Always looking for a good reason to call in sick

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Latest CHL top 10 rankings still show five Q league teams on the list.

The Wildcats however have dropped out of the top 10 rankings, to be replaced by the Charlottetown Islanders.

Not a surprise really, especially given our two recent losses to the Islanders.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
They're school day games. Most teams do them in the CHL as a once-a-year thing. They're solely to fill the rink with buses of kids from local schools.
As a season ticket holder who would need to take a vacation day in the middle of the week to attend I'm not a huge fan of these games. Moncton already has very good attendance. I see them being more useful for teams that are struggling to get over the 2000 attendance mark.

I get that they see it as a way to "grow the game" or to maybe to get some young fans addicted to the product. I just don't see that actually happening. There is already so many freebies throughout the year that get kids in free or for almost free. I would think most parents whos kid has any interest in hockey is aware of the league.

Personally my idea would be to use the last game of the preseason which is usually mid September. From a safety & weather standpoint theres no concern around bussing the kids to the game or school being cancelled. They could also test out all the graphics/videos to get ready for the season etc & most kids aren't gonna know the difference that its a preseason game. By then they are also getting the full lineups.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:42 PM

FYI the Charlottetown Guardian reported the attendance for the day game well north of 3500. 90% or more were probably school kids/teachers. The Summerside Capitals usually schedule a Monday day game on the provincial holiday in February. Most of the Island (minus Fed employees "me") has the day off that day making it easier to attract fans.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And the trading sweepstakes have begun:

1) - as anticipated, Anderson MacDonald has been traded by the Wildcats to Acadie-Bathurst for a 2019 Rd. 3 pick, and a 2020 Rd. 2 pick.
2) - Moncton has acquired 19 year old LW Charles-Antoine Giguere from Blainville for a 2020 Rd. 2 pick (effectively the Rd. 2 pick from Bathurst).

Giguere will obviously be Anderson's replacement in the line-up, but he will join our glut of 19 year-olds on the team, and likely will be traded again in the summertime.

It will be interesting to see what other transactions might transpire during the Christmas trading period.

The Wildcats enter the Christmas break still #4 in the league, despite a lacklustre December. The team is 4-5-0-1 in the last ten games.

Jeremy McKenna is still #2 in league scoring at 25-34-59 after 36 games. Pelletier is #7 with 49 pts.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And the trading sweepstakes have begun:

1) - as anticipated, Anderson MacDonald has been traded by the Wildcats to Acadie-Bathurst for a 2019 Rd. 3 pick, and a 2020 Rd. 2 pick.
2) - Moncton has acquired 19 year old LW Charles-Antoine Giguere from Blainville for a 2020 Rd. 2 pick (effectively the Rd. 2 pick from Bathurst).

Giguere will obviously be Anderson's replacement in the line-up, but he will join our glut of 19 year-olds on the team, and likely will be traded again in the summertime.

It will be interesting to see what other transactions might transpire during the Christmas trading period.

The Wildcats enter the Christmas break still #4 in the league, despite a lacklustre December. The team is 4-5-0-1 in the last ten games.

Jeremy McKenna is still #2 in league scoring at 25-34-59 after 36 games. Pelletier is #7 with 49 pts.

In terms of the draft picks the 2020 pick that was received belongs to Quebec, which likely ends up being in the 20-25 range as I don't see them being strong next season. The 2020 pick that was traded was a Cats pick so that has a strong likelihood of being 30-35th pick given that the Cats likely target next season to go "all in".

The Gigure trade seems like overpayment, but I believe is also a sign of the prices to expect due to it being a Memorial Cup year. I would have been much happier with a 4th or a 5th for a guy whos a .5ppgm player but theres been lots of comments online saying hes much better than just whats on the stats sheet. I was disappointed that we weren't adding a defenseman for a major asset, but I will wait to see the final picture after the trade deadline. Best case scenario for Gigure is he turns into a ppgm player the rest of the season who they can trade for a 3rd round pick in the summer to recoup most of the cost.

I'd be very curious what assets could be on the table for Seitz if the Gigure cost was that high. Seitz is a more known commodity than Gigure especially since he was the shadow for Lafreniere last season. He also had an NHL camp invite. A team within the division may want to pick him up just for that purpose. There's been some rumors Rimouski may even be making offers to keep him away from other teams.

Perhaps they could get a 2nd rounder back for him + an additional asset and come out ahead.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Why are you bringing up Seitz??? Do you anticipate him being traded over Christmas?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Why are you bringing up Seitz??? Do you anticipate him being traded over Christmas?
There's been several rumors over the past month or so that the Cats would be looking to move any 19 year old not in the plans for next season, and Seitz is exactly the type of role player that contenders tend to gravitate towards since he has that rare combo of toughness & skill, along with being very responsible defensively. One of the best pk guys in the Q.

Most believe they would also be shopping Cyr since he would likely bring 2 or 3 major assets back compared to Capannelli.

Q Rumors are always interesting to follow, certain reporters like Mikael Lalancette from TVA is very in the know. Only posts things that have a solid source and often is the first one to break trade news. For example today he leaked that Noah Dobson will be going to RN once he returns from the world juniors. |Other reporters (or just fans who know someone) seem like they just throw things out with no actual information or perhaps a team was only discussing a potential trade and all the sudden its posted as gospel. This 2 week period and the QMJHL draft are some of the funnest times to be a nerdy junior hockey fan.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There's been several rumors over the past month or so that the Cats would be looking to move any 19 year old not in the plans for next season, and Seitz is exactly the type of role player that contenders tend to gravitate towards since he has that rare combo of toughness & skill, along with being very responsible defensively. One of the best pk guys in the Q.
Interesting. There's no question that the Cats have a surplus of talented 19 year olds this year. They can only keep three next year. I have been assuming we would keep McKenna, Cyr & Aspirot, but you're right, we have enough depth in this cohort that we could deal one of these top three for better assets and still not really cripple the team, especially if the plan is to go "all in" next year.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wildcats acquire 19 yo defenceman Christian Huntley from the Quebec Remparts for 16 yo Nicolas Kingsbury-Fournier and a 2nd round pick in the 2020 draft.

Nicolas has been seeing only intermittent service so far this year, being in and out of the fourth line on the team. I thought he had been playing well however and will likely have a good future in the league.

Huntley will bolster our defence (sorely needed) but he is yet another 19 yo, which will really complicate things for next year. The Wildcats will have to be very active in the upcoming trade periods, but with so many quality 19 yo players on the block, we should be able to get some good assets in return.

So far, I would say the Wildcats have been slightly bolstering their team for the second half. They obviously want to remain competitive, and likely plan on a deep playoff run, but at the same time not going "all in".

Next year should be the year.........

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 11:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

video of Conor Garland's first NHL goal (he now has two in his first 10 games).

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/ga...4903?q=garland

and goal #2 (a pretty one to boot).

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/video/ga...3003?q=garland

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:59 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Took in this afternoon's game at Harbour Station. I'm not too familiar with the team rosters these days but the game was fast-paced and entertaining.

Saint John pulled off a 1-0 win over the Wildcats but they were lucky to do so, having been outshot 34-11. The Sea Dogs goalie stood on his head and was pretty much the only reason they eked out a win, as Moncton applied a tremendous amount of offensive pressure throughout the game. The Wildcats' late game momentum was slowed, however, by a game misconduct + 5 minute major taken by a player who dropped his gloves and went after a Sea Dogs player for no apparent reason (I can only assume words had been exchanged on the ice?) partway through the 3rd.

Looking forward to attending the rematch Thursday night in Moncton!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cats continue to struggle. The previous evening they blew a three goal lead in the third period, losing to CB 4-3 in a shootout.

Regarding the SJ game, sometimes a hot goalie can steal a game no matter how lopsided the game play is. Kudos to the Sea Dogs goalie.

Finally, the Cats have dealt another player during the trade period:

D-man Jack Tucker (18) to Acadie Bathurst for a 2020 round 3 draft pick. Apparently the rationale was that the team only wanted to carry seven defencemen and Tucker was the odd man out.

Cats now have five picks in the top four rounds in both 2019 & 2020, including two first round picks and four second round picks. This augurs well for the future.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:00 PM

Should be a big crowd today and hopefully a fun atmosphere with it being NYE. I'll be curious how many people will be down at the ice bar

This would be a perfect opportunity to run some promotions on beer....but...SMG

All tickets have been made available on ticketmaster so looks like it should be 6500+

Hopefully the Cats turn things around to put on a show as I'm sure theres some people seeing their first game today.

There's no reason they shouldn't win in convincing fashion playing against the worst roster in the Q.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good game, but the score should have been 6-1 rather than 6-3. Lavallee still has problems giving up too many rebounds and with puck control in general. I give him the benefit of the doubt primarily because he is a 16 year old rookie. He will get better with more seasoning.

The Bathurst defence was pretty porous (57 shots on goal for the Cats). The Bathurst goalie however played well despite the score, and kept them in the game. It could (should) have been 8-1 or 10-1 rather than 6-3. For most of the game, the Cats played with only a one goal lead. The game literally could have gone either way. We should be doing better, especially against arguably the worst team in the league. The Cats need to step it up, especially since the schedule will be much more competitive in the second half of the season.

Good crowd of 6203.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 3:09 AM

Overall for the first half of the year, attendance were up by about 1000/games

This year
4854 (18 games)

Last year
3963 (19 games)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 11:45 PM

I’m currently at the cats game , on the 1st intermission.

The score is 4-2 St. John so far, like whats going on with this team .

The cats have not been the same since hometown hockey weekend. They need to wake the f up before the playoffs

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:17 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

it ended up being 6-5 for the Sea Dogs. Cats scored 3 unanswered goals in the second but took some penalties in the third that Saint John was able to capitalize on.

Overall I felt it was a more evenly matched game than Sunday's, when the Sea Dogs were badly outplayed but still pulled off a win.

I was very impressed with the Avenir Centre and will have more to say on that in the appropriate thread after I return to SJ

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:02 PM

I'd say its time for a new look behind the Wildcats bench.

I was fine to give Rumble another look given the upset of Rimouski last season but we are seeing the same regular season song & dance once again. Too many inconsistent efforts against weak teams in the standings.

Defenseman making the same mistakes over and over & seemingly not seeing any change in ice time or change in behavior. Khovanov was benched last night in the final 2 minutes of a 1 goal game and I honestly don't even know why. He had been going at it with the Sea Dogs Robbie Burt all night and hit him hard into the boards and received a penalty, but Burt also received an embellishment resulting in 4 on 4 play.

The hit was not bad and it was not the usual type of undisciplined play we see from Khovanov. He had made terrific passes all night and may have been the difference maker in tying it up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces