HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 8:28 PM

Zang Triangle,new mixed use project across from Downtown Dallas in the North Oak Cliff Gateway

Rendering provided by Lang Partners

Under construction as seen on 06-27-11

Under construction as seen on 07-21-11

Under construction as seen on 08-25-11

The Zang Triangle is a 260 unit multifamily residential building currently under development located in the Oak Cliff Gateway area of Dallas and immediately across the street from the Lake Cliff Tower condo tower.

Tenants on the upper floors of the four and five story building will enjoy panoramic views of the Downtown Dallas skyline, less than 3 minutes away by car or bus. In the not too distant future, streetcar access to Downtown Dallas will happen at the future streetcar stop at Zang and Oakenwald (streetcar service seen in rendering will be part of the amenities of the area).

Standing four and five stories tall, the triangular complex will reshape the landscape along a major Oak Cliff entry and exitway.

It will include potential retail space and sculptures commissioned through DeCorazon Gallery, said Dirik Oudt, a principle in Lang Partners, along with Kyle Oudt, Matt Johnson and John Ausburn.

The Zang Triangle will contain all of the modern amenities found in current generation urban residential properties.

Pre-leasing started in September with the first units scheduled to open this month, November, 2011.

Last edited by skys the limit; Nov 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 1:00 AM

Shamburger apartment and mixed use development underway near DART Mockingbird Rail Station and SMU in Dallas

A joint venture between Prescott Realty Group, Northwestern Mutual and AREA Property is currently constructing a $45 million mixed-use development on the old Shamburger Lumberyard site near Southern Methodist University (SMU) in Dallas.

Within walking distance of the DART Mockingbird rail station and a quarter mile from SMU, the development consists of 417 apartments and 9,100 square feet of retail space and is the final phase in the revitalization of the University Crossing neighborhood.

Humphreys & Partners designed the mixed-use development, consisting of two levels of podium parking, street-facing retail space and three five-story buildings.

The five-story project at the Prescott-owned site near SMU Boulevard and Greenville Avenue kicks off the third phase of the broader revitalization of the University Crossing neighborhood.

The first phases of the revitalization were comprised of a parking garage at 6060 N. Central Expressway and construction of The Shelby, which opened in October 2009. That development includes 55 residential lofts and 3,700 square feet of retail on SMU Boulevard.

Combined, the three phases have a projected taxable value of about $65 million.

Prescott designed the project to meet LEED requirements and sustainable guidelines put forth by the City of Dallas. Upon completion of construction, the project will be LEED certified.

The Prescott project will be a major catalyst for a city tax-increment financing district designed to spur development along Dallas Area Rapid Transit rail lines, said Prescott CEO Jud Pankey. That will provide financing for southern-sector redevelopment along DART rail lines, he said.

The development will generate revenue for the city’s transit-oriented, tax-increment financing district, but is being built with private financing and will not use TIF or other City of Dallas incentives, Pankey said.

The purpose of the transit-oriented TIF, adopted by the Dallas City Council in April, is to encourage high-density, pedestrian-friendly developments around existing DART rail stations. The district stretches from the Lovers Lane area in the north to the Lancaster/Veterans Administration Medical Center area in southern Dallas.

The idea is to create “a string of pearls” along the rail line, while accelerating southern-sector development, said Pankey, who worked with the city and DART on creation of the TIF.

“The project will anchor a true urban neighborhood that includes a developing retail scene and interesting streetscapes in the area, “said Taylor Stone, Managing Director of Prescott Realty Group’s multifamily division. “It also will allow the residents easy access to many areas throughout the city via DART and encourage non-residents to visit for entertainment and shopping.”

The apartments will rent for $850 to $2,500 a month and cater to young professionals, SMU students and researchers on long-term assignment at the George W. Bush presidential library, Stone said. It will also attract residents who want easy access to the nearby Mockingbird DART rail station and the Katy Trail, he said.

Apartment preleasing will begin in early 2012 and the units will be ready for move-in by the summer of 2012, Stone said.

Full articles here: http://www.studenthousingbusiness.co...t-housing.html, http://neighborsgo.com/stories/66016, http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:24 AM

Greystar Begins Construction on New Apartment Complex at White Rock Lake in East Dallas

Downtown Dallas Skyline from White Rock Lake
by crescent hill designs, on Flickr

Dallas, TX, October 12, 2011 --(PR.com)-- Greystar is pleased to announce that construction has started on Lakewood Apartments, a three-story, 435-unit Class A garden-style residence in the Lakewood district of Dallas, Texas.

The community sits on approximately 13.5 acres and will feature craftsman-style architecture, with a combination of masonry and Hardi siding, pitched roofs, and composition shingles. The unit mix is weighted toward 1-bedroom with an overall average of 776 square feet. Commensurate with other Greystar developments, the community will offer a full range of amenities.

“It’s a desirable location for prospective tenants surrounded by several of the most dynamic neighborhoods in Dallas. Lakewood is traditionally a high barrier to entry submarket, and this will be the first new development there since the late ‘90s. We expect that the total package of location, amenities and in-unit features will make Lakewood Apartments a highly sought after community” said Scott Wise, Executive Director of Greystar.

An additional benefit is the site’s proximity to White Rock Lake, which is within walking distance. This 1,015-acre lake serves as the setting for a variety of outdoor activities. Lakewood Apartments is also adjacent to the Santa Fe Trail, which feeds into the White Rock Lake Hike & Bike Trail. Residents will enjoy easy access to this 9.3 mile waterfront trail that loops around the lake that hosts thousands of runners, bikers and hikers each day.

Links: http://www.pr.com/press-release/360095, http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ion=reregister, http://www.rogershealy.com/node/1070

Last edited by skys the limit; Nov 8, 2011 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:49 AM

City of Dallas approves Billingsley for 1.4 million sf development in Far North Dallas, with four 16 story office towers and apartments

Developer Billingsley Co. has gotten approval from the City of Dallas to build a mixed-use development on four corners of the Dallas North Tollway and State Highway 190 within the city limits of Dallas.

The project will include four 16-story office towers and apartments. The buildings will contain 1.4 million square feet of office space and possibly a hotel. Each of the office buildings will include retail and restaurant space on the ground floor.

“These buildings will be a gateway between Dallas and Plano with incredible access and visibility from multiple thoroughfares," Lucy Burns, partner in Billingsley Co., said in a statement.

She called the planned project the company's "next significant development."

The developer has been working on plans for the new development in Collin County for several months. Billingsley has owned the land that will be used for the development for many years.

Billingsley developed Downtown Dallas' 24 story One Arts Plaza building and is also building the Austin Ranch mixed-use project in Plano and the Colony.

Full article here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...y-and-190.ece#

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:56 AM

Union At Carrollton Square Construction Begins

Quote:
Sept. 1. 2011

Construction has begun on Union at Carrollton Square, a mixed-use retail and residential development project near downtown Carrollton. Union at Carrollton Square was designed to be a catalyst for the downtown Carrollton area by bringing an updated residential and commercial image to downtown. The Union at Carrollton Square is located at the corner of South Main Street and Carroll Avenue in downtown Carrollton near Belt Line Road. This is the first major transit-oriented residential development with the location specifically chosen because of its proximity to 635, I35, George Bush Toll Road, and the DART Green Line station.

Union at Carrollton Square is a 2 phase project that will contain 172 apartments, seven live/work units, and 4,611 square feet of retail space. The Union at Carrollton Square will feature a grilling area for entertaining, pool, outdoor fireplace, WIFI cyber cafe and lounge, and a fitness facility. Parking should not be an issue with a 5 level parking garage with over 150,000 square feet of parking area in addition to 80 on-street parking spaces.
http://carrolltonhomesforsale.co/uni...uction-begins/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:44 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
City of Dallas approves Billingsley for 1.4 million sf development in Far North Dallas, with four 16 story office towers and apartments

Developer Billingsley Co. has gotten approval from the City of Dallas to build a mixed-use development on four corners of the Dallas North Tollway and State Highway 190 within the city limits of Dallas.

The project will include four 16-story office towers and apartments. The buildings will contain 1.4 million square feet of office space and possibly a hotel. Each of the office buildings will include retail and restaurant space on the ground floor.

“These buildings will be a gateway between Dallas and Plano with incredible access and visibility from multiple thoroughfares," Lucy Burns, partner in Billingsley Co., said in a statement.

She called the planned project the company's "next significant development."

The developer has been working on plans for the new development in Collin County for several months. Billingsley has owned the land that will be used for the development for many years.

Billingsley developed Downtown Dallas' 24 story One Arts Plaza building and is also building the Austin Ranch mixed-use project in Plano and the Colony.

Full article here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...y-and-190.ece#
Eh. I don't really care for this development What's the point on having four identical buildings on each interchange. But the Zang Triangle looks nice.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Eh. I don't really care for this development What's the point on having four identical buildings on each interchange. But the Zang Triangle looks nice.
I think it's kinda cool, and the point (besides what was already stated in the article) would probably be that it's fairly unique to have a development span four corners of a major intersection and that this uniqueness is going to provide it with extra awareness, notoriety, etc, potentially making it more desirable to tenants.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:16 PM

"Notoreity" would be earned by a development that bridged four corners of a freeway interchange. Now that would be cool, the spans of the building echoing the interlocking freeway lanes they arch over...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropius View Post
"Notoreity" would be earned by a development that bridged four corners of a freeway interchange. Now that would be cool, the spans of the building echoing the interlocking freeway lanes they arch over...
hahaha - yes, that would be something!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:48 AM

Warren Buffett company to build $1.5 billion dollar mixed use complex in the Dallas suburb of The Colony

by Candace Carlisle, Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal
Wednesday, November 9, 2011, 5:38pm CST

Nebraska Furniture Mart Inc.'s planned $1.5 billion, 433-acre complex in The Colony has the furniture retailer seeking developing partners for a theme park, hotels, and additional retail and restaurants.

The Omaha-based furniture retailer, which is owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK), also is looking for partners, such as Dallas-Fort Worth area construction companies and architects.

The complex, which is planned south of State Highway 121 between Plano Parkway and West Spring Creek Parkway, would be anchored by a 1.8 million-square-foot retail and distribution center for the retailer.

The 1.8 million-square-foot retail and distribution center would include 1.2 million square feet of warehouse space, a 546,000-square-foot showroom, and 25,000 square feet of regional corporate office space.

If plans move forward, construction could finish by the end of 2015. By that time, Nebraska Furniture Mart plans to hire 1,700 employees.

"We will be the mainstay of the whole development," said Bob Batt, executive vice president of Nebraska Furniture Mart. "The development will include other retail shops, hotels, convention centers, restaurants...it's going to be a brand new design."

He has studied the area for years for a Nebraska Furniture Mart location and was struck by North Texas' ease of highway systems that could aid ease of access to The Colony and help the retailer gain visibility.

The city is in the growth pattern of the Dallas-Fort Worth area and is an outstanding location for a retail-anchored development, Batt said.

Nebraska Furniture Mart expects to bring in 8 million customers a year and $600 million in sales from throughout the southwest region.

The Colony City Council is considering a plan to form a tax increment reinvestment zone. Although Batt would not say the development could hinge on the approval of the plan, he said the development would be a partnership between the city and the company.

The retailer has three other locations in the United States, including Omaha, Neb., Kansas City, Kan., and Des Moines, Iowa.

In Kansas City, the retailer's development spurred further development, including a NASCAR racetrack, a minor league baseball park, nine hotels, a million square feet of office space and other major retailers, Batt said.

Batt says he feels similar synergies could happen in North Texas.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I concur, but I would be really surprised if this is how the project is developed in its final form. This looks like a typical profit driven project / masterplan. Draw one building and mirror it to reduce the documentation costs / construction costs. History has shown that rarely do all buildngs simoutaneously develop, and over time the program for the additional towers changes resulting in different designs. I don't mind 4 buildings at each corner, but I would rather them differ from one another. I'm also interested as to what the site plan looks like. The land around clover leaf interchanges is typically difficult to access. Great signage opportunities though...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
I concur, but I would be really surprised if this is how the project is developed in its final form. This looks like a typical profit driven project / masterplan. Draw one building and mirror it to reduce the documentation costs / construction costs. History has shown that rarely do all buildngs simoutaneously develop, and over time the program for the additional towers changes resulting in different designs. I don't mind 4 buildings at each corner, but I would rather them differ from one another. I'm also interested as to what the site plan looks like. The land around clover leaf interchanges is typically difficult to access. Great signage opportunities though...
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. One of these...maybe two tops...will actually get built.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
I fully expect all four buildings in this project to be built .... not all at once, but organically over time. This area is one of the hottest office sub-markets in Dallas so the old adage "location, location, location" is more than apropos.

I also don't expect that all four will look alike .... I think the rendering shows them the same simply as "placeholders" and what ends up being constructed will probably be four unique towers of 16 stories each.

Also, with the massive $2.9 billion dollar reconstruction and widening of LBJ Freeway (I-635) stretching from I-35 on the west to past U.S. 75/Central Expressway on the east that just started this year, there are office tenants who are moving either further north to this area or further south to Downtown/Uptown to avoid the huge traffic snarls that will become the daily norm on LBJ for the next four or five years until it is finished.

In fact, FedEx/Kinko's just announced they're looking for a new 250,000 square foot national headquarters building in this very area as they are planning to vacate at the end of 2012 their Galleria office on LBJ Freeway where they've been for a significant amount of time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see FedEx/Kinko's as the launch tenant for the Billingsley project.

Last edited by skys the limit; Nov 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
I fully expect all four buildings to be built in this project .... not all at once, but organically over time. This area is one of the hottest office sub-markets in Dallas so the old adage "location, location, location" is more than apropos.

I also don't expect that all four will look alike .... I think the rendering shows them the same simply as "placeholders" and what ends up being constructed will probably be four unique towers of 16 stories each..
Restated the point of my post..... Just look at Granite Park at 121 / tollway for a current example. It had a number of buildings that looked identical to each other in its original scheme. Tower I and II look similar but there are some changes. The next phase is under review and has a different height and foot print to the current towers. Its really only the generic suburban office park settings that have the identical buildings built (usually 2 - 4 story tilt wall buildings).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:14 PM

"Kings Way" mixed use development planned for West Davis at Vernon in Dallas' Oak Cliff district

by: Rachel Stone on November 2nd, 2011, Oak Cliff Advocate

Oak Cliff resident Rick Garza detailed his plans for a mixed-use development he calls Kings Way at a Kings Highway Conservation District neighborhood association meeting Tuesday.

Garza, an architect who owns several rental properties in the neighborhood, bought the 1.75-acre tract on West Davis at Vernon, across the street from Sweet 200, in 2008.

“I live here, and I wanted to see something good happen to it,” Garza says.

He is planning Kings Way as three five-story buildings with 43,000 square feet of retail space on the ground level. The second story would comprise 43,000 square feet of office space. And the top three stories would contain 145 apartments. Garza also wants to build a two-level underground parking garage that would hold 400 cars.

There would be a driveway through two of the buildings, from West Davis to Fouraker, with a few parking spaces. In another space between the buildings, Garza is planning a green space with wider, shaded sidewalks and no driveway.

Garza was a leader in the Bishop Davis Land Use Study, which resulted in a major rezoning of the West Davis corridor last year.

Full article: http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2011...vis-at-vernon/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:31 AM

"Alta-Henderson" luxury apartment complex under construction in the Knox-Henderson District of Dallas

I shot these on 10-08-11 of the new Alta Henderson apartments under construction located immediately across the street from the newly opened Jake's Hamburgers, Belmont at North Henderson.

Alta-Henderson (http://altahenderson.com/alta-henderson/), a unique combination of Craftsman style and contemporary finishes, sets on 2.52 acres at the southeast corner of Belmont and Henderson avenues in Dallas. The three story complex contains 106 rental units.

Since these images were taken the developers have installed very nice landscaping and poured nice wide, walkable sidewalks which is really good to see that on Henderson...kuddos to the architects (Good Fulton & Farrell: http://www.gff.com/?p=1243) and the developers for bringing something more than just density-thank you!

I like the last image below .... it clearly shows the 42 story Cityplace East Tower looming about 9 blocks to the south of the new apartment complex as the northern border of Uptown is not far away from the booming Henderson/Knox area.

What is happening is that these various booming inner city neighborhoods in Dallas are beginning to grow towards each other and will begin to touch to create huge swaths of re-gentrified and dense development that will stretch for miles in all directions.

Already, the significant growth of new dense apartment complexes in the Henderson district runs for several blocks to the south of Henderson, basically reaching about halfway to Uptown. If no one has driven or walked through this area to see it firsthand, it is mind-boggling as to the enormous amount of new dense development that has occurred there.

Last edited by skys the limit; Nov 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:39 AM

20+ story residential tower to be built in Dallas' Cityplace

Forest City Residential plans to build 385 apartment units in a building of more than 20 stories located at McKinney Avenue and Blackburn Street
on Cityplace Development's tract 7A, just immediately behind and slightly to the left of where this image was taken in the West Village.
Tract 7A can be clearly seen in the aerial photograph at the top.

by Steve Brown, Dallas Morning News
Published: Nov 14, 2011 7:01 AM

Developer Forest City Residential plans to build a high-rise residential building on one of the last empty blocks in Dallas' Cityplace complex.

The more than 20-story building will have 385 apartments and will be constructed at McKinney Avenue and Blackburn Street, according to filings with the City of Dallas.

Retail space is also planned in the mixed-use development that will replace the former Hank Haney Golf Center, which is located just west of North Central Expressway.

The tower will be just across the street from the popular West Village complex.

Forest City Residential – a unit of Cleveland-based developer Forest City Enterprises – has been working on the project for several months.

Officials with Cityplace Co. say the sale is scheduled to close before the end of the year.

Forest City is the same company that is currently redeveloping Downtown's Mercantile Continental Building into 203 apartments.

Forest City also restored the landmark Mercantile National Bank Tower on Main Street and has built a new apartment high-rise called The Element next door.

The Cityplace tract Forest City is building on is one of the five last undeveloped blocks in the project, tract 7A.

Article here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...ion=reregister

Aerial image courtesy of Cityplace Development: http://www.cityplace.org/Files/image...calAerial.aspx

Last edited by skys the limit; Nov 24, 2011 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:20 AM

This is yet another large scale luxury residential project being constructed in Dallas' Cityplace neighborhood. The five story complex will be located just to the west of Cityplace's tract 8B as seen in the aerial overview in my post immediately above this one.

Cityplace is absolutely booming as this is now the fifth large scale residential project in the neighborhood for a total of 1,756 luxury units being constructed within just a few blocks of each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lemmon Avenue apartment community in the works in Dallas' Cityplace

Construction crews have demolished old medical buildings on Lemmon Avenue at Oak Grove
to make way for a new apartment community.

By STEVE BROWN
Real Estate Editor
Published: 21 November 2011

Two experienced developers are teaming up to do an Uptown apartment project.

California-based CWS Capital Partners and Dallas' JLB Partners hope to begin construction before the end of the year on the luxury rental project in Dallas' Cityplace neighborhood.

Site work is under way on the block at Lemmon and Oak Grove avenues just west of North Central Expressway. Demolition crews have removed several old medical buildings on the property, which is between Lemmon Avenue and Lemmon Avenue East.

"We are planning to build a 321-unit, five-story mid-rise luxury apartment community," JLB Partners' Scott Sherwood said Monday. "We will start construction shortly after receiving city approvals."

The project should be completed in 2013.

CWS has owned the Lemmon Avenue property since 2005 and originally considered building a residential high-rise.

The Newport Beach-based apartment developer and investor owns the apartments at the nearby West Village complex and developed the Marquis apartment building on McKinney Avenue.

JLB Partners is currently the Dallas area's busiest apartment builder with a handful of projects under way in central Dallas and the suburbs.

JLB is building a 300-unit rental complex at Blackburn Street and North Central Expressway, just two blocks from the planned Lemmon Avenue project.

There are more than 7,000 apartments under construction in the D-FW area, and starts are expected to total close to 9,000 units by the end of the year.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...-the-works.ece

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:25 AM

Gearbox lease kick starts $60M Frisco Square mixed-square project

Quote:
Dallas Business Journal by Candace Carlisle, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, November 18, 2011

Plano-based Gearbox Software .. LLC has signed a lease for 61,000-square-foot of space that will kick-start a $60 million mixed-use project at Frisco Square off Main Street near the Dallas North Tollway.

The three-building project includes 100,000 square feet of office space, 220 apartments, 50,000 square feet of retail space and an 800-space parking garage. Frisco Square Development is developing the roughly five-acre project.

The architect on the project is O'Brien Associates.

Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2012, with scheduled completion in late spring 2013.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...co-square.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 9:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
It does look cool, but man, I wonder what a company would do that had space in multiple buildings when they need to commute to the other one. It could have been a 64-story skyscraper in downtown instead.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations