HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
National Capital Region

NCC peddles new bike lane for Wellington St.
Friday, 18 February 2011
By Polly Leger
http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index...164&Itemid=127
Views : 398
Favoured : None
Published in : Centretown News, Front Page

A National Capital Commission pilot project will see a segregated bike lane on Wellington Street as early as this summer, Centretown News has learned.

The NCC plan follows the city’s recent approval of a highly controversial segregated lane for cyclists along Laurier Avenue, which was strenuously opposed by the Bank Street Promenade BIA before it was given a green light earlier this month.

The NCC’s planned Wellington Street route for its segregated lane stretches from Bay Street to the Portage Bridge. The protected lane is to run westbound along Wellington Street, with a non-segregated, eastbound lane marked in paint on the southside of the street.

NCC spokeswoman Jasmine Leduc called the northside route a “temporary segregated bike lane” that will be closely studied before officials determine whether it will become a permanent part of the downtown streetscape – and possibly whether it would be extended further east along Wellington.

“The rest of Wellington will be part of the study, and only after the conclusion of the study will plans be made jointly between the city and the NCC for the type of cycling infrastructure that will be appropriate for Wellington Street,” she said in an email.

Robin Bennett, co-ordinator of cycling facilities for the city, says the NCC is “increasingly focused” on road cycling, and not just along multi-use recreational pathways.

Leduc says the federal agency has joined forces with city officials in Ottawa and Gatineau to upgrade cycling infrastructure.

She says the agency’s key aim is to improve the “cycling experience” for commuters.

Segregated lanes, touted by cycling advocates as more rider-friendly because they used barriers to physically separate cyclists from cars, are often more costly and controversial than simple painted lanes.

Plans for the segregated bike lane on Laurier Avenue turned into a heated debate between cycling advocates and critics, including Bank Street Promenade executive director Gerry LePage, who raised concerns about cyclist safety, parking problems and increased traffic congestion under the plan.

However, Robert Dekker of the Centretown Citizens Community Association says the Wellington project should roll forward without contention.

“Based on the designs, I do not expect any outrage on the project,” he says. Dekker has met with the federal agency and says the project will be a “great resource for commuters and tourists alike.”

According to Dekker, the Wellington Street project was initiated in response to a wave of requests from cyclists for a safer route along the Ottawa River Parkway.

The long-missing link to the Portage Bridge will mean cyclists using other NCC pathways will no longer have to risk darting out into traffic to reach the bridge.

The city is slowly shifting gears towards becoming a more bike-friendly capital, and joint projects with the NCC are part of that roadmap. According to the city’s 2008 cycling plan, available online, the city still has another 20 years before its cycling infrastructure will be completed.

Bennett explains that although there are hundreds of bike lanes in the works, action depends heavily on the schedules of other infrastructure projects – including sewer upgrades and road widenings.

Due to the sporadic nature of plans to implement cycling infrastructure, community associations often have a slew of bike-related projects up their sleeves.

Dalhousie Community Association president Eric Darwin says his group is ready with proposals as soon as an opportunity arises.

“You have to be prepared, It’s like having a shopping list, even if you have no money.”

Currently, the DCA is proposing an upgrade to the Percy Street bike lane, making it bi-directional.

Much like the plan for Laurier Avenue, the segregated lane on Wellington Street will be maintained for 12 months before a final verdict is reached on whether it would become permanent.

Last update : 18-02-2011 07:21

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:53 AM
National Capital Region

I wonder when the NCC will remove the requirement for pathway users to stop at NCC-owned driveways to picnic sites, lookouts, beaches, etc., and switch it so that cars on the driveways have to yield to pathway users?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:37 PM

This is great news, it's about damn time that the NCC look at how cyclists get from the Ottawa River Pathway into the centre of the City. I hope it's a typo that the eastbound lane only goes to Bay (a one-way northbound street) it should go to Lyon!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
This is great news, it's about damn time that the NCC look at how cyclists get from the Ottawa River Pathway into the centre of the City. I hope it's a typo that the eastbound lane only goes to Bay (a one-way northbound street) it should go to Lyon!
I had the exact same thought. We need an eastbound segregated lane along Wellington to Lyon, then up Lyon to Queen. That has always been the worst part of my bike commute, and it seems to be the last place anyone wants to put a bike lane.

A westbound lane on Wellington would be nice but not necessary, and may tempt a lot of wrong-way bikers trying to get east to downtown. Even now, bike salmon are an issue when you're heading north onto the Portage Bridge.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
bike salmon
???
Ha! never heard that before, but I love it! (begs the question of who or what are the bears, though)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I had the exact same thought. We need an eastbound segregated lane along Wellington to Lyon, then up Lyon to Queen. That has always been the worst part of my bike commute, and it seems to be the last place anyone wants to put a bike lane.

A westbound lane on Wellington would be nice but not necessary, and may tempt a lot of wrong-way bikers trying to get east to downtown. Even now, bike salmon are an issue when you're heading north onto the Portage Bridge.
err while I realise it's not segregated, there is http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/onthe...letter_en.html
Quote:
The City has opened its newest bike lane, stretching 1.5km along Lyon Street from Wellington Street to Arlington Street. This facility includes a section with sharrows (see article on sharrows below) from Wellington Street to Queen Street - after which a dedicated bike lane of 1.5m width is provided to Arlington Street. Cyclists will appreciate the newly paved surface, and the gentle downhill slope!

For the section of Lyon Street between Wellington Street and Sparks Street, the centreline was adjusted slightly to provide more room for cyclists riding beside the curb. Sharrows have been added to guide cyclists and to encourage drivers to look out for cyclists and leave space where practical. Please note that sharrows do not imply exclusive use by cyclists (as a reserved bike lane would). Further along Lyon Street, sharrows are used to provide a ‘track’ to guide cyclists to the outside of the right-turn lane at Albert Street.
and even a specific city email address for the bike lane: lyonstreetbikelane@ottawa.ca

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
err while I realise it's not segregated, there is http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/onthe...letter_en.html

and even a specific city email address for the bike lane: lyonstreetbikelane@ottawa.ca
Oh, Robin the feedback guy has heard from me. Diane Holmes actually came to my door personally to request feedback on the Lyon street lane before the city put it in. I must have made their consultation list due to my frequent whining.

Anyway, that lane is fine, but it only starts at Lyon and Queen. North of Queen there's nothing but some sharrows, and on Wellington, there's nothing at all. This year, I might just cut through the Garden of the Provinces and then head down Sparks to avoid the whole situation.

The "bike salmon" phrase comes from this cycling blog in New York... I thought it was hilarious too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, Robin the feedback guy has heard from me. Diane Holmes actually came to my door personally to request feedback on the Lyon street lane before the city put it in. I must have made their consultation list due to my frequent whining.

Anyway, that lane is fine, but it only starts at Lyon and Queen. North of Queen there's nothing but some sharrows, and on Wellington, there's nothing at all. This year, I might just cut through the Garden of the Provinces and then head down Sparks to avoid the whole situation.

The "bike salmon" phrase comes from this cycling blog in New York... I thought it was hilarious too.
I usually cut through the Garden of the Provinces; only downsides to that route are that the NCC closes it for a good chunk of the year (there's usually a pretty big gap between then end of snow and when they take down the chain link blocking the ramps), and whenever there is any work being done in the area, they have a tendency to park their trucks to block the lower ramp.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:29 PM

BIXI returning to Ottawa-Gatineau in May!

http://www.bixi.com/news/full/gatineau-ottawa/

Also, City of Ottawa is considering a tunnel under Somerset, though I am having trouble seeing where exactly this tunnel would be...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...haring958.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:57 PM
From the Planning Paradox

Beater bikes or bike lockers?

I'm wondering if you believe most cyclists in Ottawa have a 'beater-bike' that they would use to commute (and lock-up) or if not, whether bike lockers rather than the visible bike racks at major destinations (brt stations, office plazas, etc) would increase the attractiveness for people to commute with their bikes?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 8:43 PM

From what I understand it would pass underneath somerset, parallel to the o train tracks, on the east side. The corridor for the future MUP there is basically totally free of other obstacles, cutting brush and laying pavement should be the only major expenses after the tunnel is built. I assume there would be bike access to somerset itself from the path?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:50 PM
National Capital Region

NCC's proposed rules on electric bicycles

http://canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc...&lang=1&bhcp=1

Power-assisted bicycles: Description

A power-assisted bicycle is equipped with an electric motor whose power output does not exceed 500 watts and which is incapable of providing further assistance once the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground. Definitions for power-assisted bicycles are provided in regulations published by the federal government and by the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Electric bikes can be similar to conventional bicycles, scooters or motorcycles.

Proposed rules

For the Capital Pathway network
Electric-powered vehicles are prohibited on pathways. Power-assisted bicycles that are physically similar to conventional bicycles are allowed.

For bike lanes
Electric-powered vehicles are prohibited in bike lanes. Power-assisted bicycles (of any type) are allowed.

For Sunday Bikedays and Saturday Short Loops programs
Electric-powered vehicles are prohibited on parkways closed to motor vehicles for the Sunday Bikedays and Saturday Short Loops programs. Power-assisted bicycles that are physically similar to conventional bicycles are allowed.

For the multi-use trails in Gatineau Park
Electric-powered vehicles are prohibited on natural surface trails intended for hiking and mountain biking.

Exceptions
These rules do not apply to motorized mobility aids (wheelchairs, three-wheel electric scooters and four-wheel electric scooters).

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:07 AM

The permanent BIXI program was unveiled yesterday. It's looking good! The bikes themselves are distinctive, certainly much nicer than the dull grey of 2009's pilot program.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 4:41 PM

Via a David Reevely tweet, an animated map showing Ottawa bixi bike usage patterns over time:

http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/timeline.php?city=ottawa

(click "Start Animation" in the lower right corner).

Montreal's map is a bit more lively:

http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/timeline.php?city=montreal

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 4:59 PM

Why oh why do we have to get our red and white (again) with those horrible logos with the maple leaf? When are we going to stop being a huge flag?

Anyways... the Paris map is really impressive. I'm surprised how little there is in places such as Chicago. Rio and Rome.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 3:33 PM

I forgot about the bike lane project on Laurier, so I searched for news today, and was happy to read that construction is well underway, and all seems on track for the August launch date!
NCC, or the City, should perhaps pony up a bit more cash to get a few more BIXI stations and bikes purchased, to be placed on Laurier....between U of Ottawa and Elgin.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Why oh why do we have to get our red and white (again) with those horrible logos with the maple leaf? When are we going to stop being a huge flag?
I think it's cheerful

Old Posted Jun 3, 2011, 9:13 PM
National Capital Region

Not exactly well publicised, but Mikael Colville-Andersen of Copenhagenize was in town today. He delivered a presentation, mainly on the cultural and marketing of urban cycling rather than a more technical presentation on cycling infrastructure. There was quite a bit of a discussion about helmets. Councillor Chernuschenko was there as well.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 PM
National Capital Region

segregated lane opens officially on Sunday at 1 pm
http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/publi.../index_en.html
The City has an updated website with a video, brochure, and other info.. There's also bike counter data which is pretty neat

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jul 8, 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 6:28 PM
Citizen-at-large

Segregated Bike Lane Opens!

I rode down it this morning, after it had been opened to traffic, but before the official opening ceremony. It was a really nice ride - while I did already bike downtown, I've never felt this safe while doing it. The biggest problem was contending with the other cyclists (the lane is so new that people haven't quite worked out how to be courteous in passing & waiting at intersections). It's a real shame that the city will not install more segregated lanes before the pilot project ends in two years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation