HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 1:42 PM
Back from the dead

Just need some architect/engineering know-how.

I'm buying a home gym and live in an apartment. Concrete construction. I don't know how thick the concrete is, whether or not it's reinforced, or what the mixture consists of. All I know for sure is that it's in China where I live (ha ha)

Anyway, I know it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm concerned with how much weight my floor can handle. It's a newer building and I'm guessing the total weight of everything will be about 400 kg. 200 Kg of plates and the gym equipment itself is about 160 kg. I'm adding 40 kg just to round things up.

This is still less weight than a water-bed so I know that the concrete could undoubtedly handle the weight. Nevertheless, it would be concentrated within about 6 square meters or so (maybe up to 8) and would be dynamic to some degree.

Can anybody tell me if I really have anything to concern myself about here ? Am I going to wind up going through the floor ? Ha ha...no, I know that probably won't happen but still...I'd like to get a little expert input here.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm buying a home gym and live in an apartment. Concrete construction. I don't know how thick the concrete is, whether or not it's reinforced, or what the mixture consists of. All I know for sure is that it's in China where I live (ha ha)

Anyway, I know it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm concerned with how much weight my floor can handle. It's a newer building and I'm guessing the total weight of everything will be about 400 kg. 200 Kg of plates and the gym equipment itself is about 160 kg. I'm adding 40 kg just to round things up.

This is still less weight than a water-bed so I know that the concrete could undoubtedly handle the weight. Nevertheless, it would be concentrated within about 6 square meters or so (maybe up to 8) and would be dynamic to some degree.

Can anybody tell me if I really have anything to concern myself about here ? Am I going to wind up going through the floor ? Ha ha...no, I know that probably won't happen but still...I'd like to get a little expert input here.
codes vary from place to place but model code standards for multi family buildings are 30 or 40 psf for distributed live load on floors (145/195 kgsm) with concentrated loads of 135kg on a square inch. So your 400kg of equipment needs to touch the ground in at least three spots spread over three square meters to be safe. A dumbbell, which touches the ground in two spots about a meter apart, should be limited to 270kg. My guess is that won't be a problem

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 7:19 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
codes vary from place to place but model code standards for multi family buildings are 30 or 40 psf for distributed live load on floors (145/195 kgsm) with concentrated loads of 135kg on a square inch. So your 400kg of equipment needs to touch the ground in at least three spots spread over three square meters to be safe. A dumbbell, which touches the ground in two spots about a meter apart, should be limited to 270kg. My guess is that won't be a problem
Thank you kindly. Yeah, I should be fine based on what you say. That's one big dumbbell. Ha ha

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:36 AM

Now 'wind up going through the floor' might be too dramatical (and comical too) but yes there is always a chance of the floor cracking up. So the things you must ensure is that the right kind of items are used for making your gym flooring . An also try to find the actual weight of all the gym equipment in your room. If you know what is gonna be the actual weight of all the gym items combined, where they will likely placed then you can always inform your contractor about the same and he/she will take the necessary precautions. Overall, a sufficiently thick strong concrete will be great for you gym room but if you are not happy there is a blog called everything-about-concrete.com that provides all the necessary information on concrete. But I believe you won't be facing any serious problem (certainly not fallin through the floor ) so chill.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering