HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 11:58 PM

Did the Whitecaps need another forward?

Hopefully they'll be able to translate their glut of strikers into some help in the midfield.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 2:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Hey guys,

just wanted to post a link, for the 2012 SuperDraft. 'Caps took Darren Mattocks of Akron University. Unfortunate we didn't get Andrew Wenger (most complete, and best overall player in my opinion). But Mattocks, from all accounts, isn't a bad player. We'll see if he contributes more than Wenger does this year (doubt it).

It'll be interesting that the opening game of MLS season is 'Caps vs. Impact, hopefully, the two draft picks can showcase their stuff in that game. Exciting!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...685/story.html
I'm sure Bobby is planning the parade already, Woohoo top 25 here we come.

I agree we need help in the midfield and even in the back field. Guess they think offense will sell more tickets then victories will.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I'm sure Bobby is planning the parade already, Woohoo top 25 here we come.

I agree we need help in the midfield and even in the back field. Guess they think offense will sell more tickets then victories will.
Haha. I don't think they're planning the parade just yet. We have a long way to go. But it's a start.

Midfield needs a lot of help. We have a ton of forwards, and strikers now (I suppose that's good for depth, and when players are being called to their national teams, etc). I thought for defense, we're pretty good: Demerit, Lee, Rochat, Bonjour, Boxall, Harvey, and Mitchell.

For Midfield, we have the following: Alderson, Chiumiento, Davies, Harris, Nanchoff, Ngyuen, Koffie, Tiebert, Thorrington, Watson. Out of that bunch, I'd take Tiebert, Koffie, and maybe Alderson (if he can prove himself). Maybe Chiumiento, although, that guy's pretty up and down (look at last season).

To be honest, it looks like we have a better team already, than we did last year. Hopefully, Rennie hasn't stopped signing some players. We need a dominant Midfielder to come and play for us.

March 10th can't come soon enough..excited for season #2!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Whitecaps where giving away Fifa 12 for XBox and PS3 this afternoon at Waterfront Station, managed to pick up the 2nd last copy. Certainly drew a crowd.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:44 AM
Mac User

I have the iPhone version of FIFA12 it's awesome! Hard to believe such a complex game with great graphics and almost every team in the world can now be played on a phone.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Whitecaps where giving away Fifa 12 for XBox and PS3 this afternoon at Waterfront Station, managed to pick up the 2nd last copy. Certainly drew a crowd.
I have a copy of fifa12 for ps3. good game

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:17 AM
Cheers!

I've had the pleasure of working on FIFA titles in past years... FIFA12 is the best one yet. For one thing, you can play games in BC Place!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 2:08 PM
Reason and Freedom

Did the Whitecaps ever publish their season tickets renewal numbers in the end?

I hope the Whitecaps manage to grow or at least maintain their fan base. I was looking forward to the energy of having two franchises playing their first full season in the heart of downtown together. In the four regular season games played in the newly refurbished BC Place Stadium last season, the BC Lions' average attendance was 37,000. After the sensational finish to the season and winning the Grey Cup, attendance is likely to continue to be strong for the Lions this year. For the sake of downtown energy and sporting dynamism in the city, it would be nice if the Whitecaps could draw good crowds too.

Last edited by Prometheus; Feb 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:55 PM
scared of rain

The sense I get is that the renewals aren't going as well this season, which is understandable given the results last season combined with reduction in the novalty factor. I think they will still pull solid numbers though.

We all know the best way to sell tickets is to win games, regardless of the sport. I think the signing of Le Toux gives them a much better chance to do that this season.

I think we will be looking at a much better product on the field. They have managed to keep all of the very best players and add some really high quality pieces (Le Toux, Lee) and some great depth (Bonjour, Barbara, Watson) plus a new Manager (thank god).

For me seasons tickets don't make sense this year, but I am definately going to pick up a couple of the five game packs.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:02 PM
Reason and Freedom

It will be interesting to see whether the signing of that famous Korean player succeeds in drawing a meaningful number of new fans from the Korean community to come to the games.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:17 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Did the Whitecaps ever publish their season tickets renewal numbers in the end?

I hope the Whitecaps manage to grow or at least maintain their fan base. I was looking forward to the energy of having two franchises playing their first full season in the heart of downtown together. In the four regular season games played in the newly refurbished BC Place Stadium last season, the BC Lions' average attendance was 37,000. After the sensational finish to the seasaon and winning the Grey Cup, attendance is likely to continue to be strong for the Lions this year. For the sake of downtown energy and sporting dynamism in the city, it would be nice if the Whitecaps could draw good crowds too.
I do not think anything has been published yet but the new season is still a little ways off. I renewed and I'm excited. With all the acquisitions, the vw are going to win all their games 7-6.

does the 37,000 include the playoffs and grey cup? If it does, that number is not that impressive.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
does the 37,000 include the playoffs and grey cup? If it does, that number is not that impressive.
"four regular season games"

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:37 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
With all the acquisitions, the vw are going to win all their games 7-6.
Well, if we could get Chuimiento some of those new shoes that can run back as well as forward...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:52 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

does the 37,000 include the playoffs and grey cup?
Of course it doesn't. That figure includes only the last four regular season games.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Of course it doesn't. That figure includes only the last four regular season games.
I was actually disappointed in the Lions' attendance for the last 3 regular season games. I attended one of those games. Given that there were about 52,000 in attendance on opening night, the other 3 games must have averaged about 33,000. It's certainly an improvement on what they were getting at Empire, but I had hoped that the way the team was playing at the end of the year would have given them an even bigger boost. Let's hope that the Grey Cup victory provides some momentum for next year.

As for the 'Caps, a terrible year all-round, except in the stands. I'm afraid that the novelty has already worn off and the 'Caps are in trouble this year. If they don't start quickly, it could get ugly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

I've been getting multiple calls from a Whitecaps tickets salesman on my cell phone (despite being on the do not call list) because I bought one set of tickets in the first season. If I wanted to buy season tickets, I'd buy season tickets. They're lucky I don't report them.

Last edited by Pinion; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:49 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Do-not call list doesn't cover that, exisiting customers are exempt as are marketing firms and I think something else.

We renewed our 4 tickets but I'm not sure if we'll do the same next year. My dislike for Bobby is almost greater then my love of the game.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 1:04 AM
victory in near

Quote:
My dislike for Bobby is almost greater then my love of the game.
really? will you say the same if they put a winning team on the field?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 1:14 AM
Cheers!

Yea, a lot of the novelty type fans won't be back, which is fine with me. If it doesn't happen now, it would happen next year...
And yes, to gain new fans, the team will need to start winning. I believe the caps can only have a much better season. How much better, who knows? The new coach, Martin Rennie, seems like he has a good grasp of things. I.e., the shoring up of the defence, getting rid of some useless baggage... Adding yet more depth up front. It'll be interesting to see how Rennie will juggle the forward positions... Two key new signings to watch for ->> Young-Pyo Lee (defence) and Sébastien Le Toux (forward/midfield). These guys basically replacing Jonathan Leathers and the failed designated player we signed late last season. Another thing... Hassli won't get as many reds, and hopefully Jay DeMerit will be injury free. Haha!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 2:03 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
really? will you say the same if they put a winning team on the field?
Yes. I'd be more likely to support a team 5 games under .500 w/o Bob then one 5 games over .500 with Bob. That's just me and my 4 tickets though. Unfortunately I don't seem to be the only one that isn't his fan. Even a large portion of the Southsiders dislike him, but they don't makes waves about it so that the team doesn't take it out on them again.

I think this year's team is better on paper then last years, but we need to be honest the teams problems were not Barber nor Teitur. I think we've actually taken a step backwards off the pitch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation