HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

    Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:40 AM
Halifax Hillbilly Halifax Hillbilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 708
Convention centre proposed for old Herald properties
Project includes luxury hotel, office towers; will be triple the capacity of current trade centre


By JENNIFER STEWART Staff Reporter
Thu. Jan 29 - 5:34 AM

Out with the old and in with the new, as they say.

The old Chronicle Herald building on Argyle Street and its neighbour, the Midtown Tavern on Grafton Street, will soon make way for Halifax’s new convention centre, CTV News reported Wednesday night.

The convention centre project, expected to be announced in the next week or so, will also feature a 17-storey luxury hotel on the block facing Argyle Street and a 13-storey glass office tower on the site of the popular eatery and adjacent parking lot.

Seating capacity in the new convention centre is expected to be in the 2,500 range, roughly three times the capacity of the current World Trade and Convention Centre, also on Argyle Street.

CTV reported that municipal and provincial politicians, as well as the developer, Argyle Developments Inc., declined to comment on the proposed project.

Indeed, Mayor Peter Kelly, contacted later Wednesday night, was tight-lipped on any proposals, pointing out that the expression of interest process is not yet finished.

"No final decisions have been made yet," he said.

Once that process wraps up, he said, the province will make a formal announcement.

Fred MacGillivray, outgoing CEO of the current convention centre, confirmed that the more than 25-year-old facility is too small for many of the conventions that come to Halifax.

"We are turning away business now that we were getting for many years that have outgrown us," he told CTV.

Joe Ramia of Argyle Developments could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

But in an interview last summer, he told The Chronicle Herald that a new convention centre was one of three possible scenarios for the prime property, one of the largest single pieces of real estate in the downtown core.

Argyle Developments bought the Chronicle Herald property in 2007 from the estate of the late cable TV mogul Charles Keating, which had listed it for $15 million. Mr. Keating purchased the property from the Dennis family, owners of The Halifax Herald Ltd., in 2002.

Last July, Mr. Ramia also bought the nearby Midtown property for $1.5 million after the children of the pub’s former owner, Doug Grant, were involved in a court battle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 1:16 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Ok, the question has to be asked, who goof'd on this one?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:47 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,124
I was reading the comments on the Herald website and so far most of the people are for this. There hasnt been any complaints really about the height yet its just been more about the street activity. This might get through without too much trouble if the HT don't go crazy.

I have a feeling some people from this forum post on the CH website *cough* spaustin *cough* (good job correcting the people about Midtown)
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 9:00 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,657
I have always thought this was the best spot for the convention centre. Cogswell is years away and this is 2 towers... nothing could be worse that the current state of affairs for these lands... I'll have to see the proposal, but I assume they will be smart and have a good plan for the ground floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I have always thought this was the best spot for the convention centre. Cogswell is years away and this is 2 towers... nothing could be worse that the current state of affairs for these lands... I'll have to see the proposal, but I assume they will be smart and have a good plan for the ground floor.
Honestly, from the "artist's conception" on CTV last night, I can't say it looks like they have a good plan for the ground floor. Looked like lots of brick wall at street level going up the hill along Prince, and nothing but a row of glass doors/ plate glass windows (similar to an arena) along the Argyle elevation. The glass in the rendering was somewhat transparent, giving a hint that all that was behind it was lofted convention floor space, maybe 3 or 4 stories. You could make out some large multi-story arches inside that spanned the width. Those were kind of interesting. Didn't see anything to suggest that retail would have any part of it. Overall my impression was mid-to-low. The east tower looked okay, but generally there is too much redbrick and dark green glass giving it a heavy, massive feeling. Looks like it was conceived in the late 80's or early 90's. The current WTCC was/is still a more striking piece of architecture (and sadly that's saying something )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:44 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,909
Allnovascotia.com reported something very different today, that the process is still underway. I give them a lot more credit than Rick Grant of ATV. Near as I can tell, Ramia or someone at that end leaked the story and the renderings to Grant in an attempt to preempt the decision. Maybe his financing for the project he originally planned for the Herald site fell thru, but who knows. Grant then manufactured a piece for the news using an old tape of Fred and the renderings. My contacts downtown tell me that this is not the decision and that the Cogswell site is still the preferred one, but that talks are still going on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I have a feeling some people from this forum post on the CH website *cough* spaustin *cough* (good job correcting the people about Midtown)
And you spotted me through my cleverly disguised alias

I hope Keith is correct and that this isn't quite as done a deal as ATV indicated. The timing for the Cogswell option couldn't be better. The federal money is about to flow and the Cogswell is on the city's wish list. We could knock it down and build a convention centre and have Ottawa carry some of the bill!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 12:51 AM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 932
Wow. I hope so too. There was something fishy about this. Was it in today's article that said Ramia would release his plans in a couple of weeks.. that's just odd if he was chosen already..why the wait..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:49 AM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
but I assume they will be smart and have a good plan for the ground floor.
That's a very strange assumption...considering the way this town usually operates
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:39 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Wow. I hope so too. There was something fishy about this. Was it in today's article that said Ramia would release his plans in a couple of weeks.. that's just odd if he was chosen already..why the wait..
thats the same message we saw months ago, yet nothing has come.

I rather see the convention centre closer to the waterfront. I mean think of the substainable design elements that could be utilized such as sea water
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:51 AM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post

CTV reported that municipal and provincial politicians, as well as the developer, Argyle Developments Inc., declined to comment on the proposed project.

Indeed, Mayor Peter Kelly, contacted later Wednesday night, was tight-lipped on any proposals, pointing out that the expression of interest process is not yet finished.

"No final decisions have been made yet," he said.

Once that process wraps up, he said, the province will make a formal announcement.


Joe Ramia of Argyle Developments could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.
Well duh, there it was up above in black and white. I guess I missed that earlier.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:49 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Honestly, from the "artist's conception" on CTV last night, I can't say it looks like they have a good plan for the ground floor. Looked like lots of brick wall at street level going up the hill along Prince, and nothing but a row of glass doors/ plate glass windows (similar to an arena) along the Argyle elevation. The glass in the rendering was somewhat transparent, giving a hint that all that was behind it was lofted convention floor space, maybe 3 or 4 stories. You could make out some large multi-story arches inside that spanned the width. Those were kind of interesting. Didn't see anything to suggest that retail would have any part of it. Overall my impression was mid-to-low. The east tower looked okay, but generally there is too much redbrick and dark green glass giving it a heavy, massive feeling. Looks like it was conceived in the late 80's or early 90's. The current WTCC was/is still a more striking piece of architecture (and sadly that's saying something )
Yeah, but look at it now.

Something needs to happen on that land.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:23 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
Heritage group worried about new WTCC
PAUL MCLEOD FOR METRO HALIFAX
January 30, 2009 12:12

The former Chronicle Herald building site on Argyle will be the home of the new World Trade and Convention Centre, according to CTV News.

Politicians at both levels of government are staying tight-lipped, and officially no decision has been made yet.

But CTV says the Argyle Street site, which also includes the Midtown Tavern on Grafton Street, has beaten its competition.

Citing anonymous sour­ces, reporter Rick Grant said winning developer Joe Ramia was planning a 13-storey glass office tower on the Midtown Tavern site and a 17-storey hotel where the old Herald building currently stands.

The Herald site would also hold the new convention centre, which would feature 2,500 seats. That’s about three times what the current centre holds.

Diagrams show a pedway connecting the two buildings over Grafton Street.

Despite the details from Grant’s report, politicians and developers have shied away from confirming anything on the record.

“We’ve made no decision yet. We’re working very closely with the city and we’ll have more details in the future,” Premier Rodney MacDonald said.

When asked if Argyle Street would be the new home of the convention centre, he said again, “We haven’t made any final decisions yet, and those details will come out another day.”

Phil Pacey, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, implied his group might fight the development. While the lot is not a heritage site, Pacey pointed out it is near other heritage buildings such as St. Paul’s Church.

“We would want buildings to respect the scale and complement those heritage buildings,” said Pacey.

With files from Jennifer Taplin

paul.mcleod@metronews.ca

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/174356
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:47 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Heritage group worried about new WTCC
PAUL MCLEOD FOR METRO HALIFAX
January 30, 2009 12:12

The former Chronicle Herald building site on Argyle will be the home of the new World Trade and Convention Centre, according to CTV News.

Politicians at both levels of government are staying tight-lipped, and officially no decision has been made yet.

But CTV says the Argyle Street site, which also includes the Midtown Tavern on Grafton Street, has beaten its competition.

Citing anonymous sour­ces, reporter Rick Grant said winning developer Joe Ramia was planning a 13-storey glass office tower on the Midtown Tavern site and a 17-storey hotel where the old Herald building currently stands.

The Herald site would also hold the new convention centre, which would feature 2,500 seats. That’s about three times what the current centre holds.

Diagrams show a pedway connecting the two buildings over Grafton Street.

Despite the details from Grant’s report, politicians and developers have shied away from confirming anything on the record.

“We’ve made no decision yet. We’re working very closely with the city and we’ll have more details in the future,” Premier Rodney MacDonald said.

When asked if Argyle Street would be the new home of the convention centre, he said again, “We haven’t made any final decisions yet, and those details will come out another day.”

Phil Pacey, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, implied his group might fight the development. While the lot is not a heritage site, Pacey pointed out it is near other heritage buildings such as St. Paul’s Church.

“We would want buildings to respect the scale and complement those heritage buildings,” said Pacey.

With files from Jennifer Taplin

paul.mcleod@metronews.ca

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/174356
Surprise.....................

Although i believe their might be issues with rampart views for the site, which is why the Midtown lost its UARB appeal.

Nonetheless, i am not surprised HT is out already on this. I think we should create a thread showing every development and if HT opposes it. I think the data would be shocking.....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:49 PM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 671
Sigh. By opposing projects on vacant lots the Trust is just making it tougher to be taken seriously when there are actual heritage issues to be considered (Roy Building, Waterside Centre). On the plus side, the line about the renderings showing pedways over Grafton is fanatastic news. I still think the Convention Centre would be better placed down at the Cogswell, but at least if it goes on the Herald site they won't obliterate Grafton Street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:16 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I think we should create a thread showing every development and if HT opposes it. I think the data would be shocking.....

...and forward it to the Herald?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 6:15 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,742
I'm slightly more optimistic when they say there will be a pedway over Grafton, but I'm still gonna wait till we get the final renders and announcement to make any final decision on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:42 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm slightly more optimistic when they say there will be a pedway over Grafton, but I'm still gonna wait till we get the final renders and announcement to make any final decision on it.
I am sorry to say its not a pedway. The renderings show its a five storey glass atrium between the buildings at ground level. Therefore Grafton street is no more as it will have this structure built on top of it.

That is where the required convention floors space comes from
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 10:53 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
...and forward it to the Herald?
That's an excellent idea!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Phil Pacey, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, implied his group might fight the development. While the lot is not a heritage site, Pacey pointed out it is near other heritage buildings such as St. Paul’s Church.

“We would want buildings to respect the scale and complement those heritage buildings,” said Pacey.
What... HT protecting holes in the ground again? My word..

But seriously, it's kitty corner to St. Paul's. The current WTC is also next door, and the TD building is across the street. Is the HT seriously claiming that nothing large scale can be built within a 1-2 block radius of a heritage building without their disapproval?

Oh wait, I think I knew that already...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.