HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
AGRICOLA & BILBY

WelcometoHalifax.ca
I don't mind the ground floor, though I'm not sure how much it's going to reflect reality, but I dislike the 'McMain Street" aspect of this one. Website says it's going up in two phases, so why not go with one consistent upper level for P1 and a different one for P2?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I don't mind the ground floor, though I'm not sure how much it's going to reflect reality, but I dislike the 'McMain Street" aspect of this one. Website says it's going up in two phases, so why not go with one consistent upper level for P1 and a different one for P2?
I like that the facade is broken up--that's an element of urban design we've lost as we develop block-sized parcels with one monolithic frontage. A city feels much richer and more interesting with multiple styles and frontages, I think.

That said, I too am wary of the fakey olde-tyme appearance of the rendering. But it's apparently by Urban Renewable, who have always done really good work, so I'l cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I like that the facade is broken up--that's an element of urban design we've lost as we develop block-sized parcels with one monolithic frontage. A city feels much richer and more interesting with multiple styles and frontages, I think.

That said, I too am wary of the fakey olde-tyme appearance of the rendering. But it's apparently by Urban Renewable, who have always done really good work, so I'l cautiously optimistic.
Not to say I don't like the broken-up facade -- I'm glad it's something developers are looking at vs a monolithic wall of brick. The Vic on Hollis is one of my favourite examples of a broken-up facade that is still very much one building. The best way of doing that is with multiple buildings, though. I think it would work better if the ground level matched up with the different designs. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have two great-looking buildings than one pretending to be two. I saw their Instagram linked to Urban Renewable as well and have hopes that the renderings are more of a concept than an actual plan.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Not to say I don't like the broken-up facade -- I'm glad it's something developers are looking at vs a monolithic wall of brick. The Vic on Hollis is one of my favourite examples of a broken-up facade that is still very much one building. The best way of doing that is with multiple buildings, though. I think it would work better if the ground level matched up with the different designs. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have two great-looking buildings than one pretending to be two. I saw their Instagram linked to Urban Renewable as well and have hopes that the renderings are more of a concept than an actual plan.
This one is under construction now, so I suspect the design has been developed sufficiently to start work. If this is what is being built, Phase 1 is in the lot at the corner of Bilby and Agricola that's been an exposed foundation wall only for many years. I walked past, and it looks like the house immediately to the north, on Agricola, is being used as some sort of site office/lay down area/storage, so suspect it will be the location for Phase 2.

I like Urban Renewables' work. They seem to do nice modern stuff that's historically inspired, but current and not overwrought.

I have high hopes, here.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:06 PM
hi

Work has started on the new Lion's Head development.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:37 PM
Steven Courchene

can someone post a rendering of the new lions head?

Steven Courchene

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 10:42 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 2:44 AM

This is the new Lion's Head.

[SIZE="1"]http://lionshead.ca/[/SIZE

- DJ

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Do you know what the new Lion's Head site will be?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a view from 2165 Gottingen:

Source

It is great to see these small infill projects.

Looks like the old building on the Velo 2 site is gone.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Do you know what the new Lion's Head site will be?
From the article posted above by teddifax:
Quote:
The plan is to move the Lions Head, a fixture of North End Halifax, to what is currently its parking lot at the corner of Robie and Demone streets. Saleh said Hage has a development permit and is currently in the process of applying for a building permit to build a new two-storey tavern on that lot.

“I look forward to the time where we can sit in the new restaurant that’s going to be built, the Lions Head next to this project, and admire the building next door,” Saleh said.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:07 AM

Looks like HRM has bought 3 properties in preparation for re-alignment of Alderney Drive in conjunction with the 2010 expansion of Sawmill River :
134 & 136 Portland and 2 Dundas for $1.35 million. Assessed values were $826,400

Belmont House on Alderney Drive sold for $8.55 million May 23
Apartment & Commercial property on Rainmaker & Seapoint in Burnside sold April 4 for $21.75 million - 50% over assessed value.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Looks like HRM has bought 3 properties in preparation for re-alignment of Alderney Drive in conjunction with the 2010 expansion of Sawmill River :
134 & 136 Portland and 2 Dundas for $1.35 million. Assessed values were $826,400

Belmont House on Alderney Drive sold for $8.55 million May 23
Apartment & Commercial property on Rainmaker & Seapoint in Burnside sold April 4 for $21.75 million - 50% over assessed value.

The first purchase is the large, presumably affordable housing building on the corner and also apparently the May Garden building:

https://goo.gl/maps/fV3RjoC4aHwv1YAM9

This is the Dundas St property:

https://goo.gl/maps/3nRBaHd9V6KSN6eR7

The Portland st purchases are somewhat baffling to me. Austin wants Alderney to become mostly a cycling path and a single-lane low-speed street so who knows how badly this will get messed up.

The last property is apparently this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/WYwgrMGZtUEyZ5RV6

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:41 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
From the article posted above by teddifax:
Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but what are the plans for the site that Lion's Head currently occupies (ie. "admire the building next door")?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but what are the plans for the site that Lion's Head currently occupies (ie. "admire the building next door")?
It's this one: https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...y-council.html

There's also a tower approved a couple blocks south on Robie.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 PM

Government of Canada invests in transportation infrastructure at the Port of Halifax and Windsor Street Exchange upgrades

Quote:
The quality of Canada’s transportation infrastructure and the efficiency of the country’s trade corridors are key to the success of Canadian companies in the global marketplace. The Government of Canada invests in infrastructure projects that create quality, middle-class jobs and support economic growth.

Today, the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, and Andy Fillmore, Member of Parliament for Halifax, announced a major investment of $47.5 million for two projects that will increase capacity at the Port of Halifax to move Canadian goods to international markets.

The first project will increase storage capacity at the Port of Halifax by connecting the South End Container Terminal to the Fairview Cove Container Terminal by rail. Among other improvements, the Port will add rail tracks within its existing footprint and acquire four new rail-mounted cranes to load and unload containers faster and more efficiently at both terminals. As a result of this project, there will be an increase in the transportation of goods by rail between the two terminals in downtown Halifax, and a reduction in traffic congestion.

The second project will upgrade the Windsor Street Exchange, which is the main access road to the Port of Halifax. This work includes realigning the Bedford Highway, upgrading Lady Hammond Road and installing new traffic signals to improve traffic flow. These upgrades will reduce traffic congestion, improve safety and increase the reliability and efficiency of freight movements.

These investments are expected to have important economic and employment benefits for the region by creating an estimated 880 jobs during construction.

The Government of Canada is supporting infrastructure projects that contribute most to Canada’s success in international trade. Trade diversification is a key component of the National Trade Corridors Fund, funding projects that:

improve the fluidity and performance of the transportation system to increase the value and volume of goods exported from Canada to overseas markets; and
increase new overseas trade as a result of the investment.
Quotes
“Our government is investing in Canada’s economy by making improvements to our trade and transportation corridors. We are supporting projects to efficiently move goods to market and people to their destinations, stimulate economic growth, create quality middle-class jobs, and ensure that Canada’s transportation networks remain competitive and efficient.”

The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

“As someone who has been involved with our city’s growth and economic development for a long time, I know the importance of the Port to the economy of Atlantic Canada. And as a city planner and Halifax resident, getting trucks off the downtown streets has long been a priority for me and for most Haligonians. This investment demonstrates the Government of Canada’s commitment to Halifax and our important port infrastructure”

Andy Fillmore
Member of Parliament for Halifax
Source

There's a thread on Waye Mason's twitter of him explaining this in some more detail. What jumped out to me most is this project is aiming to take 75% of port related truck traffic out of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 8:53 PM

[QUOTE=RoshanMcG;8592569][B]Government of Canada invests in transportation infrastructure at the Port of Halifax and Windsor Street Exchange upgrades[/]
Next up, Darren Fisher announces millions for Sawmill River.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 9:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It'll be interesting to see the detailed plans for these projects. It sounds like expanding rail infrastructure was the right solution, instead of building, say, the truck-specific route along the rail cut. And people should think of this in terms of noise and traffic reduction, not all-or-nothing "get trucks out of downtown" solutions. It's possible to reduce noise a lot by requiring that trucks be newer, repaving roads so they're less bumpy, etc. That plus redirecting 75% of the traffic could work out to a 90% reduction in noise.

In the long run it seems like the 102 should connect up to 111. Crosstown traffic shouldn't be funneled along Bayers Road and Connaught.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It'll be interesting to see the detailed plans for these projects. It sounds like expanding rail infrastructure was the right solution, instead of building, say, the truck-specific route along the rail cut. And people should think of this in terms of noise and traffic reduction, not all-or-nothing "get trucks out of downtown" solutions. It's possible to reduce noise a lot by requiring that trucks be newer, repaving roads so they're less bumpy, etc. That plus redirecting 75% of the traffic could work out to a 90% reduction in noise.

In the long run it seems like the 102 should connect up to 111. Crosstown traffic shouldn't be funneled along Bayers Road and Connaught.
I too have many questions. I'm concerned about "upgrading" the Windsor Street exchange where the focus is on making it easier for trucks to get to the 102. Additionally, how will this rail shuttle affect the planned commuter rail project, or indeed the future of commuter rail in Halifax?

Anxiously awaiting more detail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth