HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 1:34 AM

Sadly, it seems the East Bayfront proposal's come along too late in the game
That design however, looks hot! I hope it isn't changed, it's perfect!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 3:38 AM
I am the law!

I don't know. Corus, George Brown College and Sherbourne Park eat up a lot of real estate. We can expect a significant amount of non-market as well. I also think this slowdown will benefit medium density sites such as the West Donlands and East Bayfront as I don't expect new construction to ceased altogether. It didn't happen 15 years ago when we were facing a similar fate as our friends to the south.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 1:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafunk View Post
Toronto does look fantastic in the rendering, and I would say it definitely looks more like New York. I however, dont see any similarities between that rendering and "Copenhagen", Paris, or Amsterdam. I dont think any North American city can ever look like a European city, as the majority of them lack high rises, with the obvious exceptions of Frankfurt and Rotterdam.
As monkeyronin stated, this type of re-development style is very common in Europe, I'm glad Toronto is making a go of it. The contrast in style to the existing downtown areas (which are already very popular and vibrant) and probably have more in common with New York than this new project. This redevelopment will really up the cache on the Toronto brand around the world, within Canada, and inside the city itself.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 3:58 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
I'm glad Toronto is making a go of it. The contrast in style to the existing downtown areas

This plan is very Crombie era St Lawrence and, to a lesser extent, the more recent Sherbourne/King area (would also be the Entertainment District were it not for the OMB) Sometimes I wonder sometimes if we live in the same Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:05 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
This plan is very Crombie era St Lawrence and, to a lesser extent, the more recent Sherbourne/King area (would also be the Entertainment District were it not for the OMB) Sometimes I wonder sometimes if we live in the same Toronto.
Yes, and the Entertainment Districts, St. Lawerence, and Sherbourne King are all built on the water.

This is something very new with respect to this style of building. And yes much more in the mold of European extreme makeovers, than it is with what goes on in Canada and the United States.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:25 PM
I am the law!

Oh I see. Something as superficial as facing water opposed to something like medium rise, perimeter block buildings facing internal courtyards. You really are quite the character.

You wanna talk extreme makeover ... take a walk down the heavily polluted, heavily industrialized Esplanade circa 1970.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:49 PM

I love the renderings of East Bayfront, nice high streetwalls and great density. Reminds me of Athletes Village in that respect, which was designed with the same densities as many of the high rise developments, just with shorter and more closely spaced buildings, creating nice narrow streets with imposing streetwalls.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 4:52 PM
gettin' rich!

Ok, this has the potential to be something even better than St. Lawerence Market (i.e Market Square) and all of that, "because" it is built close to the water. - This is what will mark this development from the neighbourhood on the other side of the highway.

btw: the Entertainment district was not built for urban living, it was built to be a warehouse and clothing factory for the city. - So it's design is "imperfect" to say the least. Even though "visually" it is very appealling.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
If you have something to say to Malek, you ought to come in a place he is allowed to respond....

Mtlurb.com, we are waiting you !
Ha ha I always wondered why montreal had it's own forum. Not that it is that interesting, nothing happens in montreal. Projects get proposed, and nothing ever, ever, ever happens. I miss living in Vancouver. Vancouver can build an entire skytrain line in less time than it takes montreal to fix the escalator at my metro station. I have been living here 4.5 years, one side is FINALLY fixed, the other one they are just starting.

Anyways, I went on mtlurb.com, and if I made a post like this one, it would be deleted, by malek. Actually he deleted a bunch of my posts. Any analysis of why montreal is in decline, from high taxes to language laws would be considered "disrespectful to the quebec nationalist viewpoint" . I am for one his forum has "separated" from ours.

Calgary's skyline and vancouver's future renders look AMAZING. Toronto is mindblowing. I wonder sometimes why I have moved to a city that not only is shrinking in population, and is falling apart, but that refuses to admit that there is a problem. We have not had a new office tower since the 70's. If you point this out to a local, they just get defensive and mad. i guess there is no solution in sight.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 3:46 PM
video et taceo

montreal's two tallest buildings were built in the 1990s, and CCE1 was built in like 2004. you're exaggerating.

the city is also growing by about 37,000 people per year.

i find your globe and mail/maclean's "montreal is a dying city due to separatist commies" thing to be very 90s and tiresome.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 12:15 AM

I always loved Montreal's two tallest and find them quite appealing. Montreal doesn't do much and certainly missed out on the most recent boom, but the good thing, is we wont see that much of a difference compared to other cities as things continue to decline since it never really got going.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 1:14 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by randito View Post
Ha ha I always wondered why montreal had it's own forum. Not that it is that interesting, nothing happens in montreal. Projects get proposed, and nothing ever, ever, ever happens. I miss living in Vancouver. Vancouver can build an entire skytrain line in less time than it takes montreal to fix the escalator at my metro station. I have been living here 4.5 years, one side is FINALLY fixed, the other one they are just starting.

Anyways, I went on mtlurb.com, and if I made a post like this one, it would be deleted, by malek. Actually he deleted a bunch of my posts. Any analysis of why montreal is in decline, from high taxes to language laws would be considered "disrespectful to the quebec nationalist viewpoint" . I am for one his forum has "separated" from ours.

Calgary's skyline and vancouver's future renders look AMAZING. Toronto is mindblowing. I wonder sometimes why I have moved to a city that not only is shrinking in population, and is falling apart, but that refuses to admit that there is a problem. We have not had a new office tower since the 70's. If you point this out to a local, they just get defensive and mad. i guess there is no solution in sight.
- I get in fights all the time with Malek because we don't agree at all. I don't remember any posts getting deleted.

- Why don't you go back to Vancouver if you don't like it ? What did you expect?? Montreal is an old, bohemian, city. It is not the clean, hightech heaven you miss. Everyone knows that.

- Our tallest and second tallest buildings were built in 1992. Our most recent office towers, the CGI&IBM buildings, were built in 2004 and 2005, respectively. They are 35 and 20-something floors.

- Language laws are overated by people like you.

- I can really understand Montreal women not enjoying you

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:11 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:

Huh ? Uh...you don't keep up with this stuff do you ? You should check your sources again. They usually get updated so if you're still reading the stuff from 1980 you should probably check it again. Some stuff has happened since then.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 4:56 PM
Riki beach

Quote:

That's right smart guy! I can prove it:

Tour Québécor - 19 floors - 2008
CCE II - 18 floors - 2005
CCE I - 27 floors -2003
Le complexe FTQ phase II - 13 floors - 2003
CDP Capital Centre - 13 floors - 2003
Place de la Cité Internationale I - 17 floors - 1995
Le 1000 de la Gauchetière - 51 floors - 1992 - city's tallest
1250 René-Lévesque - 47 floors - 1992
Le 1501 McGill College - 36 floors - 1992
Le complexe FTQ phase I - 15 floors - 1992
Centre de Commerce Mondial de Montréal - 18 floors - 1991
Tour Scotia - 28 floors - 1990
Tour la Maritime - 18 floors - 1990
Place Montréal Trust - 30 floors - 1988
Tour KPMG - 34 floors - 1987
Tour SNC - Lavalin - 22 floors - 1987
1100 René-Lévesque - 27 floors - 1986
Tour l'Industrielle-vie - 23 floors - 1986
Tour de la Banque Nationale - 28 floors - 1983
Tour Bell - 28 floors - 1983
500 René-Lévesque Ouest - 26 floors - 1983
Place Mercantile - 23 floors - 1983
Place Alexis-Nihon II - 24 floors - 1983
Le 425 de Maisonneuve Ouest - 18 floors -1983
500 Sherbrooke Ouest - 23 floors - 1982
Tour BNP - 20 floors - 1982
Centre Manuvie - 18 floors - 1982
etc...

Not bad considering its following the great boom of the 60s and 70s...
What about Vancouver, im just curious?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:08 PM
Dérive-r

Vancouver:

Bentall V - 35 floors - 2007
Shaw Tower - 18 of 41 floors - 2004
PricewaterhouseCoopers Place - 20 floors - 2002
401 Burrard - 19 floors - 2002
1138 Melville - 18 floors - 2000
The Granville - 17 floors - 1999
Library Square Tower - 21 floors - 1995
Bower Building - 17 floors - 1995
VanCity Centre - 14 floors - 1995
Terasen Centre - 24 floors - 1992
BC Hydro Centre - 19 floors - 1992
888 Dunsmuir - 15 floors - 1992
Cathedral Place - 23 floors - 1991
Waterfront Centre - 22 floors - 1991
777 Dunsmuir - 19 floors - 1990
Manulife Place - 21 floors - 1989
Vancouver House - 16 floors - 1989
HSBC Building - 23 floors - 1987
401 W Georgia - 22 floors - 1986
The Grosvenor Building - 23 floors - 1985
Commerce Place - 21 floors - 1985
Grant Thornton Place - 17 floors - 1985
601 W Hastings - 17 floors - 1985
1125 Howe - 14 floors - 1985
Scotia Trust Centre - 14 floors - 1985
Park Place - 35 floors - 1984
Clarica Building - 18 floors - 1984
1185 W Georgia - 16 floors - 1984
Sun Life Plaza - 17 floors - 1984
Government House - 19 floors - 1983
Nelson Square - 25 floors - 1982
Bentall IV - 35 floors - 1981
Canaccord Place - 24 floors - 1981
AXA Centre - 19 floors - 1981
Georgia Place - 20 floors - 1980
1166 Alberni - 16 floors - 1980
1130 W Pender - 16 floors - 1980
Broadway Plaza - 15 floors - 1980
etc...

Suburbs:

Central City - 26 floors - 2003
Central Park Plaza - 18 floors - 2000
Station Tower - 19 floors - 1994
London Plaza - 16 floors - 1994
BC Hydro Tower - 18 floors - 1992
Metrotower II - 30 floors - 1991
Rogers Cantel Tower - 28 floors - 1989
Metrotower Place I - 19 floors - 1984
etc...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

You must live at Radisson metro or something, and never come downtown.
Montreal metro has never shrunk in population. And if the inner city has, so has that of almost every city in North America. Find me a city in North America that is more vibrant after dark than downtown Montreal. Not Vancouver, thats fer shure! (I love Vancouver, and lived there for years, but the downtown nightlife does not hold a candle, nor a firefly, to that of Mtl's, malek or no malek.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:51 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Oh boy! Another regional pissing match!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 8:58 PM
Riki beach

Thanks raggedy13, appreciate your work! Vancouver did pretty well too.

So in the real world, there is close to 30 office towers built since 1980 in Mtl and more to come, despite the city is "shrinking, crumbling, falling appart, dying, whatever". Not to bad, is it?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:04 PM
video et taceo

everyone knows vancouver is building more than montreal... the point is, montreal is not quite so moribund as our buddy here claimed.

everybody knows that we can't match vancouver on glass towers (or vegan potlucks, or morning hikes...) but this is montreal and we do what we do well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post

everybody knows that we can't match vancouver on glass towers (or vegan potlucks, or morning hikes...) but this is montreal and we do what we do well.
Ha ha. Classic line there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada