HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 1:49 PM

Exclamation Commuting and Parking Strategies Study

From MUN:

Quote:
Memorial University has engaged Dillon Consulting Limited to conduct a Commuting and Parking Strategies Study for the St. John’s campus.

As part of the study, Dillon Consulting Limited is conducting a survey to gain information regarding commuting and parking issues faced by the university community and possible solutions to those issues. The survey will provide valuable information on transportation patterns to and from the university and permit you to provide input. The deadline to complete the survey is Monday, Nov. 30. Students, faculty and staff are invited to take part here.

The purpose of the study is to explore a broad range of solutions to help identify alternative transportation options to reduce the number of cars coming to campus.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 2:53 PM

Foundation work on the new Science building appears to be progressing quite well. The outline of the building is now clearly visible. They next time I'm over that way I'll have to stop and snap a few pics.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Foundation work on the new Science building appears to be progressing quite well. The outline of the building is now clearly visible. They next time I'm over that way I'll have to stop and snap a few pics.
Would love to see!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 11:56 PM

Memorial University is getting ready to demolish the oldest original part of the old Battery Hotel. Some new concept photos here in the link too which look interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...otel-1.3506883

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 3:00 PM
of Canada

I was poking around Youtube and found this. It goes back a couple of years but I thought it was pretty cool.

Video Link
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 9:40 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Lol why would they have a shot that so emphasizes the absence of a clock face on the tower? I must say, though, MUN looks better from the air than from the ground.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:05 PM

http://vocm.com/news/125-million-ann...ence-facility/

Quote:
Another step forward for Memorial University's new Core Science Facility.

$125-million in joint government funding for the project was announced at the university this morning.

University President Gary Kachanoski, Premier Dwight Ball, and federal Minister Judy Foote were on hand for today's announcement.

It's hoped the university's new Core Science Facility will help support student and faculty recruitment and retention along with fostering more inventive scientific thinking.

The total estimated budget is $325-million dollars with $99-million provided by the federal government and $25-million from the province

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 7:27 PM

I don't believe this is new money. MUN promised $125 M but will now pay only $25 M and the Feds will put in $100 M. This frees us $100 M of NL Gov't money, from an offshore settlement.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 12:56 AM

Wonder what will happen with that $100 million. The Dunderdale government received $150 million from Exon which they announced would go towards a number of infrastructure projects so that people here would still benefit from the work Exon was doing elsewhere. Will the current government use that $100 million to help the deficit or invest it elsewhere?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:33 PM

MUN has cancelled the major tender for the Core Science Building. All the bids were higher than expected so they're looking to retender.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:17 PM

New clock faces for the tower at MUN...

Probably for the best, it has looked terrible for a few years now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ower-1.3706981

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:40 PM

Really?

"Student union wants to stop Memorial University's new science building

Student union says new space not right for student needs, worries about price tag"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sity-1.3718394

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
Really?

"Student union wants to stop Memorial University's new science building

Student union says new space not right for student needs, worries about price tag"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...sity-1.3718394
So there are no classrooms or lecture halls proposed to be in the new science building? Is that correct?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
So there are no classrooms or lecture halls proposed to be in the new science building? Is that correct?
This article mentions it. I think it might have to do with safety?

http://themuse.ca/2015/10/04/new-mun...no-classrooms/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:39 PM

student labs are really classrooms, so maybe not the traditional prof-at-the-front lecture rooms, teaching space none the less.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
student labs are really classrooms, so maybe not the traditional prof-at-the-front lecture rooms, teaching space none the less.
The Gender Studies crowd that make up MUNSU probably aren't aware of that.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:00 PM

I just saw another piece on NTV about it. The MUNSU person doesn't want to see any industry-sponsored or cooperative research in the building. I don't believe she's read any of the prep material or participated in any of the consultations over the past 5 years about the building - she wanted the lecture rooms moved from the old science building into the new one. The old science building won't be immediately torn-down when the new building is complete. Some parts of it, maybe but lots of it will be renovated for office and teaching space. With such a large building coming on-stream, there'll be a ripple effect moves - Computer Science will move into the Chemistry Building for example, leaving more space in the Engineering Building with lots of similar moves anticipated. While there's no designated student space in the new building, there's lots of smaller open-concept meeting areas for small groups, an atrium etc.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:01 PM

I agree - sometimes I question MUNSU. I don't think they are seeing the whole picture here. Politics I guess.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I just saw another piece on NTV about it. The MUNSU person doesn't want to see any industry-sponsored or cooperative research in the building. I don't believe she's read any of the prep material or participated in any of the consultations over the past 5 years about the building - she wanted the lecture rooms moved from the old science building into the new one. The old science building won't be immediately torn-down when the new building is complete. Some parts of it, maybe but lots of it will be renovated for office and teaching space. With such a large building coming on-stream, there'll be a ripple effect moves - Computer Science will move into the Chemistry Building for example, leaving more space in the Engineering Building with lots of similar moves anticipated. While there's no designated student space in the new building, there's lots of smaller open-concept meeting areas for small groups, an atrium etc.
MUNSU used to drive me nuts when I attended MUN 10-15 years ago. They were always against corporate presence on campus. I remember the Muse printing stories from MUNSU members putting their spin that oil companies donating millions of dollars and building facilities on campus was a very bad thing.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Aug 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:27 PM

MUNSU still drives us nuts. They never change.

They're extremely ignorant to what us science students need. MUNSU is made up of a large number of arts students who have no idea what our needs or desires are. This building, while ascetically unpleasing, is extremely needed.

The Chemistry and Science buildings will be repurposed once the majority of the lab space has been moved. Classrooms in the new building are unnecessary since the old lab space in the old buildings can be converted to classrooms. And a new lecture hall is not needed, there are plenty on campus at the moment. Only a few first year classes have the class sizes that large.

And teaching space absolutely includes lab space. That's actually the most valuable teaching time for a science student. Class work means jack shit if you can't actually put it to practice. Not that I expect someone who sits in a classroom reading about peoples feelings all day to understand. And student gathering places? She takes exception that for some reason. The building has space allocated for undergraduate student societies. If she wants more, she must be reminded that this is a place of learning, not a place of play.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's