HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I'm just saying if you want to add social justice in to every park, fine but make the park look good. People live here, this isn't a place to shit your political agendas. No one wants to call home and say they live next to some panels and huge sidewalk.
Since when is remembering the Holocaust political? Since January 2017 I guess... The only person making this about politics is you.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying if you want to add social justice in to every park, fine but make the park look good. People live here, this isn't a place to shit your political agendas. No one wants to call home and say they live next to some panels and huge sidewalk.
Wild guess here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and tag you as a Trump voter.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'm tired of shitty parks being built. Dilworth park, and the Love park are just concrete slabs with a flat fountain and a patch of grass. I wouldn't care if it was actually a garden but it's just another concrete slab whose only redeeming factor is more victim virtue signalling. We just got a statue of a black guy who doesn't even have the respect to stand up respectfully. Our public space is starting to look like a museum of politically correct victim idolization.

We're not showing that we have the capacity to have a world class park where a world class park is supposed to be.
Nope. These are very nice parks, represent an appropriate use of the space, and are used and enjoyed by many. The I-95 cap will hopefully end up "world class." It has the space to do so. Your comments regarding the Holocaust memorial are simply bullshit. Moreover, that parklet is CURRENTLY a Holocaust memorial.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 PM

Let's keep name calling out of this, shall we? Plenty of reasonable people voted for Trump. Mr. Nigh's expletive laden rant obscures any valid points that he may (or may not) have had. No need to start acting badly in return.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
We just got a statue of a black guy who doesn't even have the respect to stand up respectfully.
What statue is this referring to?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:40 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
What statue is this referring to?
I would have to guess he's referring to Octavius V. Catto, since his monument is the first and only statue of an Afro-American in Philly.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/0...tue-city-hall/

http://www.ourtimepress.com/wp-conte...Pg13_Catto.jpg

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:21 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

OK, that's enough. Any more openly racist posts WILL result in on-the-spot suspensions. You have been warned.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I would have to guess he's referring to Octavius V. Catto, since his monument is the first and only statue of an Afro-American in Philly.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/0...tue-city-hall/

http://www.ourtimepress.com/wp-conte...Pg13_Catto.jpg
That's a pretty powerful statue. Never actually bothered to read up on Catto before, but he lived a fascinating and tragically short life.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:27 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Explicit or otherwise. We get enough of it nowadays and it has no place, even here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
.... Plenty of reasonable people voted for Trump. ...
Name 2...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Name 2...
OK. I’ll take the bait. Me and my wife.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Let's keep name calling out of this, shall we? Plenty of reasonable people voted for Trump.
I've yet to hear about one yet. Then again considering how his presidency has gone so far, perhaps they're too embarrassed and ashamed to speak up.

Reasonable people can disagree on the right size of the government or between the welfare of the general public vs. individual civil liberties. Reasonable liberals have debated reasonable conservatives for nearly 250 years in this country.

Trump is not a part of that reasonable discourse. You can't separate him from the racist, antisemitic rant that just occurred here. Trump is the living breathing embodiment of uneducated racist rants.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:13 AM

Maybe you should’ve read the post just ahead of yours.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should’ve read the post just ahead of yours.
Maybe you should read my post again.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Maybe you should read my post again.
Once was enough. Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:03 AM

Well this thread took a turn.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:12 PM
BANNED

it explains a lot. Good to know where some people stand.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I've yet to hear about one yet. Then again considering how his presidency has gone so far, perhaps they're too embarrassed and ashamed to speak up.

Reasonable people can disagree on the right size of the government or between the welfare of the general public vs. individual civil liberties. Reasonable liberals have debated reasonable conservatives for nearly 250 years in this country.

Trump is not a part of that reasonable discourse. You can't separate him from the racist, antisemitic rant that just occurred here. Trump is the living breathing embodiment of uneducated racist rants.
Deep breaths, deep breaths. While you (and I) may think that Trump is not part of a reasonable discourse, there are plenty of people that voted for him who do (or at least did) not see it that way. If someone prioritizes certain issues above others and you understand their reasonable beliefs/opinions and look at the alternatives they were presented with, you ca see why they voted for him.

For me (and I'm assuming you), his negatives and his obvious alliances with they type of people who celebrated his victory by drawing swastikas around my neighborhood were non-starters, but some people, who are not bigoted or racist, vote on different issues and could absolutely have gone Trump. If you can't accept people for their different beliefs - so long as they are not inherently maliciously determental to other groups - then your intolerance is just as much of a stumbling block and obstacle to progress as you view their as. We're all good now? Good.

So, racism and political attacks aside. I'm glad they're sprucing up the monument. It's an underutilized space on a busy corner. I think, based on it's size, a grass field (similar to what is already there) wouldn't work. A few seats and space to walk it very appropriate for this spot. Glad it's starting to get underway.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
That's a pretty powerful statue. Never actually bothered to read up on Catto before, but he lived a fascinating and tragically short life.
I like it too. As a Catholic, I hold martyrs of virtuous causes in high esteem. Further, adding statues to continue to tell the story is the better response than tearing out and burning chapter 1 after you have read it and moved on to chapter 2.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I like it too. As a Catholic, I hold martyrs of virtuous causes in high esteem. Further, adding statues to continue to tell the story is the better response than tearing out and burning chapter 1 after you have read it and moved on to chapter 2.
No one wants to burn chapters or erase history. History belongs in books and museums. Statues can teach someone about history, but that is not their primary function. They honor people and not everyone is worthy of that honor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development