HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 11:34 PM

I don't even care about authenticity. Is there booze? Are there games? Is it in a good location? Okay, cool, let's go.

If Austin really is what you think it is then the things you care about will survive. If it's not, then they deserve to die.

Sounds like you're really just upset with capitalism. Because that's what's going on here.

Last edited by Syndic; Mar 31, 2018 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I don't even care about authenticity. Is there booze? Are there games? Is it in a good location? Okay, cool, let's go.

If Austin really is what you think it is then the things you care about will survive. If it's not, then they deserve to die.

Sounds like you're really just upset with capitalism. Because that's what's going on here.
Is being upset with capitalism supposed to be bad? Capitalism is what's pricing musicians and artists out of this city. Just because a Wal-mart can do well downtown doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:

Anything to make a point huh?

Now why is it you live in Austin?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 9:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Remember I'm apparently a hard core NIMBY now just because I feel that developers can do a better job with how they increase density in existing neighborhoods without compromising the existing fabric and should be able to incorporate more affordable housing.

Excellent post chundercracker, I agree whole heartedly.

The issue going on with DT is the same kinda issue going on throughout Austin but in this case, It's long time entertainment venues (talking about the spaces themselves not necessarily the specific names, though even some long time well known establishments are included) which are one by one being forced out only to be replaced by non-entertainment businesses or torn down for highrises. I love highrises but I'd like to see more of our open lots built over before taking out a good sized chunk of the Warehouse District. It is important to accept change but we need to do it in a way that also preserves what made Downtown Austin what it is today.

Downtown doesn't have the same kind of energy as it did 8-10 years ago on Thursday-Saturday nights. There were more people out in the streets than there are now. There were more music and entertainment venues. 5th Street from Congress to Guadalupe used to be filled with people to the point where you'd have to step off the sidewalk into the street to get around. Once they completed the sidewalk expansion along Colorado between 5th and 4th, that area was filled with people. Now you walk though those areas and its a shadow of what it once was. Even the restaurants along Colorado aren't as busy as they used to be.

I won't get too much into East 6th other than the fact that it has also diminished from what it was 10 or even 20 years ago when I first started going out regularly. It also seems like the city is just letting it go to crap, yet another thing that irritates me.

Yes there's Rainey and Rainey is great. It's pretty cool to see a whole entertainment district pop up organically over the past decade but we have already seen part of it wiped out for a huge hulking residential midrise.

My point is Downtown has lost some of its former magic. 2nd Street has magic of its own at night with the trees lit up but it still continues to struggle having alot of pedestrian traffic other than when there is a concert at ACL Moody. Hopefully the added development will improve it. There's Rainey and a few other areas but the fact remains is Downtown's nightlife has diminished. I think that is something worth fighting for especially for local home grown venues which is what makes Austin different from many other cities. Sure several of these venues are not disappearing completely, rather moving outside of DT but there inlies the problem. Austin's entertainment core has for decades been Downtown. It's why SXSW was able to grow and become what it is today. I don't want to see Austin be like Houston or Dallas where everything is spread out, it's why I'm not happy about the MLS stadium location but I'm not even going to get into any of that since what's done is done.

Now I'm glad to see that new entertainment options are coming to Downtown, however I agree that I'd rather see a local based establishment in such a prominent location rather than a chain from another city. Time will ultimately tell how well it does and if it lasts.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
Is being upset with capitalism supposed to be bad? Capitalism is what's pricing musicians and artists out of this city. Just because a Wal-mart can do well downtown doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Absolutely not. But if it comes down to being upset with capitalism, then blame the system as a whole, not just dog on specific companies. That's pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Anything to make a point huh?

Now why is it you live in Austin?
Because I was born and raised here? And I'm okay with the changes that are happening here? I don't live in Austin just because it has stores I like. But I guess to each their own.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not. But if it comes down to being upset with capitalism, then blame the system as a whole, not just dog on specific companies. That's pointless.
Why's the absolutism necessary? Maybe Punchbowl will be a hit, and maybe it'll flop... who knows. Regardless, there are quite a few places already like it downtown so MOAR games and drinks isn't exactly exciting news.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:31 AM

Aaaaaanywho... moving on from this flop thread about a 2010’s version of TGI
Friday’s that won’t matter in 5 years..

What’s happening this week in downtownland?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:48 AM

The ping pong bar is starting to take shape.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:56 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
The ping pong bar is starting to take shape.

Wish they kept the origional facade. Hopefully it's covered with brick. Looks like the neighboring buildings on both sides will be apart of it as well?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Wish they kept the origional facade. Hopefully it's covered with brick. Looks like the neighboring buildings on both sides will be apart of it as well?
What was there before was hiding the original. They are planning to restore the facade to it's historical state.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:12 PM

It will not be covered with brick. The facade is stucco over plywood I honestly think that this will not age well at all. I hope I'm wrong. But it's the exact same material and treatment you see in any cheap suburban strip mall. I drive by this every day and I see the score lines in the stucco - it looks AWFUL! They do not align with any of the features of the building - they hit off center from the hump at the top, etc. Obviously the architect did not specify locations of score lines, leaving it up to the contractor we end up with this mess. I wish they just didn't do score lines at all.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 6:17 PM

[QUOTE=corvairkeith;8141098]The ping pong bar is starting to take shape.

Thanks as always for posting the photos, I don't get downtown as much as I used to so it's nice to see the progress.

Speaking of posting photos, does anybody know what happened to priller? He used to post great photos and I haven't seen a post from him in quite a while.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 6:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Aaaaaanywho... moving on from this flop thread about a 2010’s version of TGI
Friday’s that won’t matter in 5 years..

What’s happening this week in downtownland?
That's sort of how I feel about it. Remember when there was a Hard Rock Cafe on 6th Street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post

Speaking of posting photos, does anybody know what happened to priller? He used to post great photos and I haven't seen a post from him in quite a while.
Yeah, he hasn't posted in a while. I'm friends with him on Facebook. They've been doing some traveling.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I had to look at Google Streetview to remember what it looked like before even though it hasn't been that long since they started work, with so much changing, it's easy to forget how things originally looked. Your right paul78701 that what was there before wasn't the origional but I have to think that the origional facade was under that. They could have used the building next door on 5th but extend its facade to blend it with the corner building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I had to look at Google Streetview to remember what it looked like before even though it hasn't been that long since they started work, with so much changing, it's easy to forget how things originally looked. Your right paul78701 that what was there before wasn't the origional but I have to think that the origional facade was under that. They could have used the building next door on 5th but extend its facade to blend it with the corner building.
I saw the building after they had taken the old facade off. It's not brick underneath - it's wood construction. "alamo"-like top part was not there - just a big old-looking gable truss. The new decorative top has been built on top of this structure to mimic the original building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 1:18 AM
Meh

Site plan for Texas Association of Counties Building - 1204 San Antonio Street. They originally wanted to be allowed to build up to 120 feet, but their site plan is saying 4-stories.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=165202
Quote:
The applicant is proposing a 4 story office building with underground parking garage with associated improvements.
--

https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...ise-tower.html
Quote:
Austin: TAC gets Rezoning for Mid-rise Tower

Posted: 3-10-2016, 3:12 p.m.
by Adolfo Pesquera

Austin (Travis Co.) - The Texas Association of Counties secured a rezoning recommendation from the Austin Planning Commission that will permit construction of a multi-level building of up to 87,310 square feet.

Case manager Victoria Haase of the Planning and Zoning Department told commisioners Tuesday that the zoning change was requested to redevelop two tracts in the 1200 block of San Antonio Street with a newly constructed building. The TAC headquarters buildings is a half block away from the project site at the corner of San Antonio and 13th streets.

The subject properties are 1204 San Antonio and 1205 Nueces and they comprise 4/10ths of an acre (17,450 square feet). A key disagreement between the planning department and the TAC came over the height restriction. Staff recommended the TAC be limited to a 60-foot height for both tracts, but the TAC wanted permission to build up to 120 feet.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:17 AM

That article is interesting. The site is downtown, but the PC only agreed to upzone half the site - and to only 90' while the other half will remain at 60'. SMH.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I saw the building after they had taken the old facade off. It's not brick underneath - it's wood construction. "alamo"-like top part was not there - just a big old-looking gable truss. The new decorative top has been built on top of this structure to mimic the original building.
Yeah this was what it looked like underneath the Antone's facade. The building has been modified so many times over the years there was really nothing left to restore. Instead the new facade is a recreation of what the building originally looked like.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:47 PM

Hey y'all,

I got lucky on my flight to O'Hare last Friday and snagged these pics of the skyline and one of the hill country. I actually got a fantastic view of Chicago's skyline from the lake too.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:21 PM
Meh

Holy smokes. Our city finally has some respectable bulk downtown. Thanks for posting those.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin