HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 9:35 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:01 PM

All the petals have now been fully installed and the very last piece, the "clasp," if you will, is being installed as we speak.

EDIT: They're actually calling it a "button"
http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/s...VMyWyJQuam1xI/

Last edited by alco89; May 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:51 PM

The 'button' looks to have a tree on it. Is that a cutout or a fake tree or a symbol of the green building, or what?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueeediot View Post
The 'button' looks to have a tree on it. Is that a cutout or a fake tree or a symbol of the green building, or what?
It's a real tree and a part of the "topping out" tradition signifying the last beam of a new building. In this case, its the last piece of steel on the roof structure.

Things should start to move pretty fast from here on. They can now dismantle the two cranes inside the stadium and I noticed on the webcam that they were already moving dirt around on the field.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; May 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:18 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
And now the truckloads have been arriving and they're beginning to assemble the pieces of the board. It will probably be a long, arduous task to get all of it done.

3 more months....

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
And now the truckloads have been arriving and they're beginning to assemble the pieces of the board. It will probably be a long, arduous task to get all of it done.

3 more months....
It will not take three months to assemble the halo board. Those things fit together almost like pieces of a puzzle. Once they get the other crane out of the way and start assembly I would guess a month at the most.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
It will not take three months to assemble the halo board. Those things fit together almost like pieces of a puzzle. Once they get the other crane out of the way and start assembly I would guess a month at the most.
Well yea, the "3 more months" comment was for my anxiety about the entire stadium rather than just the halo boards. Most days I feel like they'll easily finish it in time, but other days I don't.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 1:14 PM

The last crane is being lowered. I suspect they will be running a test of closing the roof today. I think they are waiting for the roof test before they start installing the halo board.

Other areas of the arena look to be getting finishing touches around the suites and such.

HVAC on the home side of the stadium is moving along quickly also.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:17 PM

They must be quite confident and secure that the roof is complete as the are dismantling the last crane now.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
They must be quite confident and secure that the roof is complete as the are dismantling the last crane now.
They had previously said that they would dismantle those huge cranes now that the roof structural construction is complete. They will use a smaller crane to install the "Halo" Board.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
They had previously said that they would dismantle those huge cranes now that the roof structural construction is complete. They will use a smaller crane to install the "Halo" Board.
The physical massiveness of this thing is visceral. I was headed east from Ashby and the effect is like almost like a sci-fi invasion movie: Arrival or something with a BDO that appears at a different scale than humans are used to.

I can't imagine a structure like this sitting in a place like Chamblee or Alpharetta where the scale would be at least another order of magnitude off. It's going to take some time to get used to and things of at least 5/6/7 stories needs to start sprouting across Northside Drive from it or a mental image of gigantic shiny object surrounded by bleak, lifeless "plaza" spaces will be profoundly third-world-despot-ego-project-looking (even though, we know that's not really how it got built, that's going to be the impression)

Impressed with the physicality of the thing, but even this close to massive downtown stuff it needs some kind of step-down scaling. That being said, cannot wait to see it from the inside. This will be a famous building

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Daktronics said the Halo would take 3 weeks once they start hanging it, so pretty quick.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 12:23 PM

Trainiac you are correct. This building just dominates the city skyline when you top the hill right before SixFlags on I20. I have attempted to take a picture whenever I drive into the city, but I'm never able to click a decent one. I think the view coming in from Birmingham is one of the best and really shows how much Atlanta has grown vertically the past 20 years. MB completely makes the Dome almost nonexistent on the skyline. This stadium will be known around the world for sure I feel, but it is so dominant it does need some other taller projects to connect it into the neighborhoods south and west of it.

The night they tested lighting a couple months back it looked like aspaceship was landing in the city from my house. It was so bright and gave me chills looking out at it.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:56 PM

There are more trucks arriving in today from Dactronics with halo board pieces. I am sure they want all of the pieces there, checked for damage, and ready before they begin the installation.

On another note has anyone noticed the difference in the home and away lower level? On the home side, each aisle has an entry portal. On the away side, there looks to be fewer entry portals.

They also still have some concrete pouring to do in the corner seating areas. Pretty sure those are left open to provide enough area for those cranes to be lowered and removed, but the three big guys are gone now.

I sure would love to see someone post anything from inside the stadium concourses.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
The physical massiveness of this thing is visceral. I was headed east from Ashby and the effect is like almost like a sci-fi invasion movie: Arrival or something with a BDO that appears at a different scale than humans are used to.

I can't imagine a structure like this sitting in a place like Chamblee or Alpharetta where the scale would be at least another order of magnitude off. It's going to take some time to get used to and things of at least 5/6/7 stories needs to start sprouting across Northside Drive from it or a mental image of gigantic shiny object surrounded by bleak, lifeless "plaza" spaces will be profoundly third-world-despot-ego-project-looking (even though, we know that's not really how it got built, that's going to be the impression)

Impressed with the physicality of the thing, but even this close to massive downtown stuff it needs some kind of step-down scaling. That being said, cannot wait to see it from the inside. This will be a famous building

I had a similar experience while navigating by GPS around dusk one evening and I didn't realize where I was. A giant space ship is exactly what came to mind. It is truly an impressive sight especially when you come upon it unexpectedly.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:59 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:23 PM

Hope somebody puts a drone up to record the petals moving someday, I'd love to watch that happen.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 12:01 PM

They've started hanging the halo board (look at upper left corner).

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post

Quote:
Hi all...I made the above video and got curious looking through the referrals to it on YouTube. Found the discussion here.

This thing is truly impressive...but I completely agree with those of you saying it's almost stark in appearance given the development (or lack thereof) of the surrounding area. The way it looms on the horizon coming from Centennial is kind of surreal.

So much potential...I should've gotten it in the video, but the little park in front of the area is pretty nice, it just feels like a lot more could be done with the space across Northside Dr.

One benefit of the sparseness in front of the stadium is that there's this really impressive reflection of the Atlanta skyline in the glass at the front entrance. The pic below doesn't really do it justice (was zooming in past the chain link fence), but have a look.

Also, the building is absolutely gorgeous at the magic hour...hope to come back and take some more videos later this summer- if I get a chance I'll post back here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta