HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Why not start demolition right now? Why wait.
Technically they could start demolition now, but it would still be awhile before construction of the actual building would start. For one, Synder hasn't signed that bill for the tax credits yet. Then Gilbert still has to apply for those credits, then start hiring contractors, laborers, etc, etc.

I'm guessing that by December all that stuff will be taken care of so that once demolition is complete they can just transition straight into construction.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Book Tower gets power washed for the first time in years

BY ROBIN RUNYAN JUN 2, 2017, 1:09PM PDT

One of the most anticipated renovations in the city has to be Book Tower, which has been vacant for years. Bedrock acquired the building in 2015 and they’ve begun work on the exterior. This spring, that means a power washing for the first time in a very long time. How long has it been? It’s safe to say decades, and Bedrock was not able to find out a date. (If you know, let us know!) The difference is striking.
https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/6/2/...wer-power-wash

The HTML on this site is fucking strange and I can't resize the photos no matter BBCode or HTML so you're gonna have to click the link.

Last edited by The North One; Jun 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:24 PM
somewhere in-between

The Book Tower is just a gorgeous building. One of my favorites anywhere. It's great to see the exterior get a bath after all those years.

I just finished watching Mayor Duggan's keynote speech on youtube that he recently did at the Mackinac Policy Conference (on Wednesday May 31). I found it to be (for the most part) pretty insightful and informative. He started by explaining the history of Detroit's explosive growth in the early 20th century, and then explaining its decline, brought about largely by racist city planning strategies in the 50's and 60's. Then he outlines the core principle's that the City is focused on now. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, and might want to, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPAcQaYISg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:40 PM

^ I agree too it's a gorgeous building and its great to see this washing being done-hopefully this will continue to happen for more historic renovations in Detriot in the future.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 3:47 PM

Oh hey, a tower crane sprouted in Detroit this past week. This is at the Third and Grand apartment building. A big rarity in these parts.

https://www.facebook.com/PlatformDET...2263559481707/

Pictures by Daily Detroit.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 3:20 PM

I really like these pictures, u really have 2 different buildings in one. One building that's been considered one of Detroit's ugliest skyscrapers and one that's clearly something else.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:45 PM

It was never ugly even when it was neglected, it just had a hardcore dark, Gotham look.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 6:26 PM
Registered Ugly

Fantastic!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
It was never ugly even when it was neglected, it just had a hardcore dark, Gotham look.
Oh no doubt I agree. But for many people they only see its worst side and much of its beautiful detail had been hidden behind 90 years of soot and grime. The building would also be best viewed from the north but the big boxy Detroit City Apartment's Building obscures the view of all but the very top of the tower from that angle. Most people picture it from the south which has the fire-escape and not to mention the roof was covered in communications equipment all kinds of satellite dishes and antennas till recently, at the very least its been vastly underappreciated.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:49 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A condo in the Westin Book-Cadillac sells for a record price:

Quote:

Stylish Detroit Real Estate Photography

Realtor: Downtown Detroit condo sells for record $1.8M

By Charles E. Ramirez | The Detroit News

June 5, 2017

A downtown Detroit condominium has sold for a record $1.8 million, an area realtor said Monday.

Bingham Farms-based Coldwell Banker Weir Manuel said real estate agent Kyle Swink sold the 2,500-square-feet, 3-bedroom condo recently, the company said in a statement.
The same unit was bought for $725,000 in 2010. It went on the market during the recession with the building having opened as the financial market was crashing near the end of 2008.

Michigan Avenue by Paul, on Flickr

Westin Book Cadillac by Joseph Tremblay, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:55 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

can they get rid of the fire escape?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
can they get rid of the fire escape?
I mean in theory its possible but from what i remember its just going to be replaced with a new crazy outdoor one. If it were taken down it would require an alternate somewhere else and to remodel the whole tower just to add in an interior fire escape would be prohibitively expensive or perhaps not possible without extensive retrofitting or an ugly outside addition. Think of the Wurlitzer Building although i don't mind that addition, but its hard to imagine an easy solution on the Book.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 5:07 AM

The fire escape wasn't serviceable. I was on it like 10 years ago and it was crazy flimsy. Even ones that are well maintained have to be secured for emergencies only. The 22-story vintage fire escape on my office building in Chicago got wrecked during the Blackhawks parade in 2010 when too many fans crowded onto it causing the anchors to fail and was ultimately removed

Properly widening and improving fire rating of the existing interior stairs makes the fire escape pointless and far more dangerous than life saving. I personally think it's cool, but will be nothing more than decoration if replaced

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
$155M cancer center breaks ground in Detroit as part of 300-acre project
By Dana Afana. Mlive Detroit. June 6, 2017.

Henry Ford Health System broke ground Tuesday on a new cancer center, part of a broad, 300-acre redevelopment project surrounding the hospital in Detroit's New Center neighborhood.

The $155-million Henry Ford Cancer Institute, expected to open in 2020, will be a six-story, 187,000-square-foot facility that will connect to the main hospital building via a skywalk to be built over West Grand Boulevard.

The project is expected to create 300 construction jobs and more than 70 permanent jobs within the facility.

Plans for surrounding redevelopment include housing, retail and mixed-use projects.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...tem_break.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Former Statler Hotel site development receives $1 million brownfield funds

By TYLER CLIFFORD
Crain's Detroit Business
June 07, 2017

The plan to build 288 apartments on the site of former Statler Hotel in downtown Detroit is getting a $1 million boost from the state.

The Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority received $1 million in brownfield funding from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to clean up the vacant lot on Washington Boulevard and Park Avenue for a mixed-use development, according to a MDEQ news release.

The MEDQ's $750,000 grant and $250,000 loan will help make way for Jonathan Holtzman's VG Statler City LLC to build the residential and retail complex with underground parking. Plans also call for 12,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. The project includes a green roof and meets National Green Building Standards, the release said.

The project will create about 58 jobs and bring 400 tenants to the apartments.

MDEQ Brownfield Coordinator Michelle Bakun expects cleanup to begin in the coming weeks. Plymouth-based Soil and Materials Engineers Inc. was contracted to do the work, for which the developer must submit invoices to the Port Authority for reimbursement approval.

The Port Authority will formalize the plans at its Monday board meeting, Deputy Director Kyle Burleson said.

The authority's main focus is on freight transportation and distribution projects, but its relationship with the MDEQ and brownfield scope opens it to development projects beyond the waterfront.

The Statler Hotel building was abandoned in 1975 before being demolished in 2005.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...6B114F736D5D42

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:03 PM
somewhere in-between

Ha. Does that plan include vaporizing the people mover?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Ha. Does that plan include vaporizing the people mover?
I would love that, the people mover is nothing but an eyesore in the city.

So Statler is FINALLY going to move forward? This is such a critical site and it's moving at a snail's pace.

Oh, and those renders are old actually, no obnoxious billboard in the final product.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
I would love that, the people mover is nothing but an eyesore in the city.
Really? Move it to ultra modern la Défense, then.
It would look good and would be highly helpful to it and its giant artificial pedestrian ground.
I swear. I want a people mover in la Défense. Nothing less.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 10:48 PM
Registered Ugly

There's really no reason for this not to be 20 stories.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:03 PM

I agree the Statler should be taller

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations