HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:10 AM

Nice!!! How many floors is that?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:14 AM

we're at a point in time when unless a proj is fully vetted, funded and approved....& construction crews & equipment have actually arrived on a proj's site....it feels like an exercise in futility to guess what exactly a new devlpt's design, height & general dimensions will be.

This doesn't even taken into consideration the slowdown that will be forced upon builders by the recently approved ballot initiative and the one that's coming up early next yr, certainly if it regrettably passes.

I also am less impatient about changes taking place to areas like the LA Times bldg. That isn't a huge gap the way other sections of dt are.....particularly 4th & broadway or 4th & Hill st. But if the owner of that property or any other one is able to break ground sooner rather than later, more power to them.

The speed in which recently completed apt or condo projs are filling up, & the speed in which new housing projs completed in the next 6 to 12 months will fill up, will be a major determinant in whether the current cycle can be described as over or not.

before & after....

welikela.com

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:33 AM

^There are no condos around the Times Building. Personally I think that it is probably the most important area to fill up atm due to the effects it will have. As for guessing, it's fun and harmless.

Unless the NII passes (which I doubt it will), or if the economy tanks (which is possible), I don't think the cycle will be over any time soon.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:59 AM

Quote:

(Makeda Easter)
Quote:
As a child growing up in New Jersey, Chazelle was horrified by the depiction of Los Angeles in this 1993 thriller starring Michael Douglas. It was a major influence on the opening dance number, set on a traffic-clogged freeway. "That movie was one of the many reasons why I thought L.A. was a hellhole," he says. "And I never wanted to set foot in it. That movie paints such a hellish portrait of the city that I thought it would be interesting, now that I live in L.A. and have fallen deeply in love with the city, to start with literally the thing that freaked me out the most about the city and the thing that irritates more people than anything about L.A.. That kind of endless grind of traffic, where most of what you see around you is concrete and you’re surrounded by smog and exhaust fumes and burning sunlight. But instead of Michael Douglas storming out of his car, it’s a dance number."
Quote:
One panel, “Love Letter to L.A.” highlighted the ways the film paid homage to its namesake. From jokes about Prius owners, to a night time scene at Griffith Observatory, to the local artists featured in subtle ways, Los Angeles is everywhere in the movie. Even the panel itself took place in a landmark 1938 CBS building where classic TV programs from the Hollywood Golden Age were shot.

“This movie is now being praised by the mayor as saying this is a great advertisement for Los Angeles,” said Wasco, the film’s production designer. “We're not showing the underbelly of LA. There's such a spectrum of this city, but [the film] wanted to capture a different aspect.”
Quote:
For the opening musical number set in traffic, Mr. Chazelle also wanted to give a sense of how vast the city is. He shot the film in CinemaScope to take it all in. The scene starts with music on the radio and the idea that people stuck in traffic are stars of their own personal musicals. That leads to synchronized singing, dancing and leaping.

The number was shot on a ramp connecting the 105 and 110 freeways. “What I like about it is that you see downtown,” Mr. Chazelle said. “When you go wide and reveal the skyline, it feels kind of ‘Wizard of Oz’ to me, the yellow brick road leading to the Emerald City.”

^ If publicity like this affects the way ppl think of & visit dtla....& LA in general....then it's even more important that the gaps get filled in, transit is improved & things get cleaned up. It's even more important that projs not be slowed down, esp by NIMBY type of opposition or ballot initiatives.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
As for guessing, it's fun and harmless.
of course. But I still cringe when I think of the past when so much devlpt ended up delayed for so many yrs or even outright cancelled. Those projs were discussed here with such enthusiasm, only to see all the hypotheticals & assumptions blowing up & disappearing.

That's why I posted the old article about when the grand ave proj was first proposed. I actually forgot just how many yrs it has been sitting on the back burner.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
670 Mesquit by BIG Architecture (!)
Link to the very informative Christopher Hawthorne article about this project in the Times-

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...210-story.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 2:48 PM

WOW, running out of space on Olympic Blvd. With planes of Onni to build on the lot north of the Mayan I quickly count only eight possible development sites left between Main and S. Fig some have one story structures/gas station but I feel will be developed sooner then later Onni going full speed ahead. Good news for Monday morning

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:14 PM

Sites left on Olympic I figured possible eight more I went beyond Fig. to the 110 where there could be one more lot between the hotels still very good filling in Olympic. Those two parking lots kitty corner on Flower I often wondered why the lack of activity on them guess that can be said about of properties. Things are happening.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Uhh..what? The towers ARE residential.
Jeesh when I first read who was involved I thought it was going to be residential but for some reason I got it into my head it was going to be offices and a hotel instead. I was also mixing up the site with Times building next to the Civic Center. Still kind of jetlaged. Glad to hear it. Cheers.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Insane. They are single handily shaping our skyline for centuries. Now if we can get that 20 story Hill project and Barry Shy's broadway building started it would be a very dense intersection.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 6:34 PM

^Are any of Barry Shy's projects going to happen at this point? SB Omega was proposed years ago, same with the Hill Street tower, and nothing has come from them since.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:11 PM
Ascension

Quote:
^Are any of Barry Shy's projects going to happen at this point? SB Omega was proposed years ago, same with the Hill Street tower, and nothing has come from them since.
That should be an indication on how seriously we should take Barry Shy and his SB whatevers.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
That should be an indication on how seriously we should take Barry Shy and his SB whatevers.
Exactly.

There are companies that really matter (big players).
Shy won't do anything "big" over the next years.

SB Omega progress = environmental review process? ^^

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I think at this point any reference to Barry Shy and his projects should follow the true order of his initials--that is, instead of SB it should be BS as in Barry Shy or "Bull Shit." So for the sake of accuracy, it only makes sense that from here on all Barry Shy projects shall be correctly referenced BS Omega or BS whatever.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Awesome is not a strong enough word. This has to happen.

Also, more great news about Onni.

At this point, im losing track. Just in the last few days we've had proposals for a 30, 30, 48, 37, 53 and 35? (Times parking lot)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:54 PM
Ascension

Add a Arts District Red/Purple Line stop and this project will be perfect.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:57 PM

^^whats the other 30 story besides the one today?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
^^whats the other 30 story besides the one today?
This project is 2 thirty story buildings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations