HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
If this still supposed to get built?

http://www.l2partridge.com/project/j...fice-building/

Where exactly? The grassy field next to Justison Landing Apartments? Hard for me to tell exactly from the site.
I heard from someone at Pettinaro that any construction of this building is likely further delayed because of DuPont. DuPont employees currently occupying a few floors of my building (the Star Building) are joining the crew in Chestnut Run. This opens up more space for Navient employees to move in and delays the need for new construction.

Last edited by jsbrook; Jan 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 10:56 AM

Update/a nice summary of some of the current efforts in downtown Wilmington:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/04...ment.html?_r=1

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Update/a nice summary of some of the current efforts in downtown Wilmington:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/04...ment.html?_r=1
Good article, thank you for posting. If only we made the commitment to invest in high-speed rail in the US, these smaller and mid-size cities like Wilmington would really be competitive, with residents having a 45-min train ride to either DC or NYC, while enjoying far more affordable housing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:41 PM

Some updates on the 627 and 618 Market St apartments:

[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Midtown Apartments site hasn't really changed for 2-3 months now:

But down on the Riverfront - the Harlan Flats are just about completed, some people moved in.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:47 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Claymont project could add 5,000 jobs

Jeff Mordock, The News Journal 8:16 p.m. EDT April 30, 2015

An artist’s rendering shows the First State Transit Center, part of the First State Crossing project proposed for Claymont.

CDC also will construct a new transit center on a 12-acre site roughly half a mile east of the existing Claymont Train Station. The transit center will include 600-foot passenger platforms, bus connections, 650 parking spaces, bike and pedestrian access and a ride dropoff area.

The First State Transit Center is expected to replace Claymont's current train station. Collins said the Delaware Department of Transportation expressed concern about the train station because of the lack of parking and that it sits on a section of curved track that could create a safety hazard.
Read More Here : http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...jobs/26663983/

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:18 PM

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...nned/26965521/

Luxury apartments in downtown Wilmington planned

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:49 AM

Good news for Wilmington. The other day, I was taking the train from DC to Philadelphia, and we passed the grassy field at Justison and West. Looks like they were taking soil samples and had some other equipment on the field!

I know at one, time they proposed to build THIS on that site: http://www.l2partridge.com/project/j...fice-building/

That would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Luxury apartments in downtown Wilmington planned

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:00 PM

@ the luxury apartments, notice it says highrises. That means tall, right? Like impacting the skyline tall right?! Our skyline has so much potential and looks killer from i95 northbound coming from the 495 break-off but it's still missing that oomf. Anyways, Wilmington needs this and hopefully it brings more retail along with it. I'd like to see some familiar stores such as Urban Outfitters, H&M, GAP, and others making their way into our downtown scene and much more restaurant options such as Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A, Saladworks, etc... hell, even McDonald's since there isn't one downtown (right?). Unfortunately, however, it'll be a long time until we see any of the above I guess. *crawls back into hole of hope*

@jsbrook that site is supposed to be developed into an office, I'm not sure if it was that one or not, I cannot remember but they've been evaluating the site for a long time now.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
@ the luxury apartments, notice it says highrises. That means tall, right? Like impacting the skyline tall right?! Our skyline has so much potential and looks killer from i95 northbound coming from the 495 break-off but it's still missing that oomf. Anyways, Wilmington needs this and hopefully it brings more retail along with it. I'd like to see some familiar stores such as Urban Outfitters, H&M, GAP, and others making their way into our downtown scene and much more restaurant options such as Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A, Saladworks, etc... hell, even McDonald's since there isn't one downtown (right?). Unfortunately, however, it'll be a long time until we see any of the above I guess. *crawls back into hole of hope*

@jsbrook that site is supposed to be developed into an office, I'm not sure if it was that one or not, I cannot remember but they've been evaluating the site for a long time now.
That building I linked to was definitely proposed for that site at one point. Not sure if it's the current plan. There is a Lease sign up on the field! With that and the soil sampling I saw being done, I think something will definitely be built there at some point in the future. Hopefully the somewhat near future.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:29 PM

http://www.residemkt.com/floorplans.aspx

Map shows all of the newly renovated or being renovated apts/lofts on Market Street.

Here are some updates on those projects:

608 Market Street -

(this might just be the leasing office though)

838 Market Street

839 Market Street

627 Market Street

Newer Artist Lofts - opened a few years ago

However - still no new activity of the Midtown apt project which is by far the biggest planned ...

I hope all these apts get built - and young professionals move in - really hope so. B/P Group believes in it (the developer) obviously.
Market St is still wayyy too quiet after 6pm and on the weekends. The two main bars (Chelsea Tavern, and Ernest and Scott) were closed most Sunday's all last summer. Hell - even the local Rite Aid on Market Street closes on Sunday's -- and I think the Walgreen's does too! (it is closed on Sunday's - i just double checked)..., which pretty much demonstrates the lack of a living population downtown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:50 PM

Some additional news to add:

Redevelopment for 1300 North Market Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7483...rayEnFkXsw!2e0

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=68763

"Builders are poised to convert a long-vacant office building in Downtown Wilmington into a new hotel primarily targeting banking and legal professionals who visit the city for days-long trips.

A ceremonial groundbreaking ceremony was held Thursday for a Residence Inn Marriott at 1300 North Market Street. The hotel is expected to be completed by summer 2016."

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 7:00 PM

MARC trains could come to Delaware

MARC trains could come to Delaware

By Karl Baker
Delaware News-Journal
June 22, 2015

"Delaware and Maryland transit officials are discussing the possibility of extending MARC, Maryland’s commuter rail line – which now runs from Washington D.C. to Perryville, Maryland – as far north as Wilmington.

DART CEO John Sisson said that he will talk with Maryland Transit Administration officials next week and the service could begin as early as 2018, after the reconstruction of the Newark train station.

That project, which will increase train capacity at the station, will also allow additional SEPTA trains to travel to Newark from Philadelphia, Sisson said...."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ware/29121793/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 11:32 AM

Crews appear to be working now on the long time vacant 1300 North Market - conversion to an extended stay hotel.

[IMG] by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a look at under construction or recently completed apartments on Market Street and Orange Sts - from Rodney Square down to the Riverfront:

The Midtown Village apt site on Orange St is still being used as a parking lot for construction crews working up and down Market Street....

It still doesn't seem like anyone is living is these - maybe a few are occupied, I hope

Harlan Flats on the Riverfront - 100% complete

(middle building - Harlan Flats)

Back to downtown - 9th Street Lofts:

With all the talk about Chemours possibly leaving Wilmington - I found it interesting how the Chemours logo is now predominately displayed (never saw it before):

Speaking of logos - I'm surprised the old Wilmington Trust logo remains and that M&T Bank hasn't slapped their logo here. ...

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rust/70536316/

More News from Wilma -----------------

http://delawarepublic.org/post/housi...ct-ready-begin

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/l...s-for-artists/

Goodbye from Wilmington, Delaware ........

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 11:12 AM

Rendering of The Residences at Midtown Park

Not exactly a thing of beauty - but very much needed here:

".....Flip the cal­endar to mid-2017, when BPG expects to open the Residences at Midtown Park, a 200-unit luxury apart­ment com­plex on the site of the former Midtown Parking Garage.

Its two build­ings, with a 513-space parking garage under­neath, will take up most of the northern por­tion of the block bor­dered by Shipley, Eighth, Orange and Ninth streets.

Ground floor retail fronting on Ninth Street will serve both res­i­dents and down­town workers.

The 300 or so res­i­dents at Midtown Park will be able to look through Chelsea Plaza for a dra­matic view of The Grand, easily the most iconic of Market Street’s his­toric structures.

A broad alleyway between the two build­ings serves a dual pur­pose: pro­viding access to the parking garage on one side and forming a shop-lined walkway on the other. This area will be known as Burton Place, hon­oring the late William H. Burton, an African American former Wilmington city coun­cilman, whose name is attached to a land­mark 1961 U.S.
Supreme Court ruling that started when he was refused ser­vice in the Eagle Coffee Shoppe, which was part of the old parking garage com­plex, in 1958 because of his race.

“Ten years ago, nobody lived on Market Street. There are 500 to 600 res­i­dents now,” says Mike Hare, BPG’s exec­u­tive vice pres­i­dent. “No one would have believed that 10 years ago.”

He expects Market Street’s steady progress to con­tinue. “The city has good bones. We’re for­tu­nate we have good employers and we have a pretty healthy sky­line,” he says.

Read more here - http://outandaboutnow.com/market-street-renaissance/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 PM

New Wilmington Stock Market in the works

Hi guys! This is my very first post; I've been a lurker for Wilmington and Philadelphia for quite a long while. Figured this may be a great time to introduce what may very well be a shot in the arm for Wilmington:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/wilmingto...tock-exchange/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmazzu13 View Post
Hi guys! This is my very first post; I've been a lurker for Wilmington and Philadelphia for quite a long while. Figured this may be a great time to introduce what may very well be a shot in the arm for Wilmington:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/wilmingto...tock-exchange/

^^ I hope so.

Also, came across this recently --

A global technology company says it will create 100 full-time jobs in Delaware by moving its Pennsylvania headquarters to Wilmington later this year.

Alpha Technologies USA Inc. last week completed the purchase of the 87,000-square-foot One Customs House building at 704 N. King St. for about $1.85 million.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/71903876/

-------------------------

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 11:45 AM

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...bars/74686942/

"With 150 new apartments spread over six buildings along North Market Street in Wilmington, downtown development king Buccini/Pollin is shifting its focus and resources to build up the restaurants, bars and shops in the area." ...

“Our goal is to have five new restaurants open on Market Street and the Riverfront by next summer, and I think we are well on our way,” Rob Buccini said."

"Of the approximately 2,300 units, Buccini/Pollin has a 94 percent occupancy rate, said Mike Hare, senior vice president for development."
(these are mostly all from the Riverfront though).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:56 AM

I'm always too lazy to take pictures, and usually lurk, but there's actually been quite a few active projects going on around Wilmington lately...

First, the CVS on 202 was completed a couple months ago, maybe 3 months, I can't recall the exact date, but it was recent.

The Seasons Pizza Plaza on 202 next to the post office is being expanded with additional retail, so it'll no longer be just Seasons Pizza, I'm currently unaware of the additional tenants but it's going up quick.

On Union Street going towards Kirkwood Highway from Delaware - Pennsylvania Ave, there's a huge complex being built, across from the lawfirm. It features colonial (?) style town homes that look really nice, and there's at least 20 different units, if not more.

Market Street is buzzing, the project next DCAD completed, and work has begun on the apartments above Walgreens. There's also a bunch of other misc stuff being revitalized, renovated, transformed and built that I cannot explain or give the exact location without taking pictures as my memory is drawing a blank...

Also, something is occurring at Rodney Square with the bus stops, there seems to be on and off prep or some kind of touch ups being done to the covered shelters.

There's a new Wawa being built up on Naaman's right by the 495/95 exit, like as soon as you come off. It'll have gas and resembles the 202 one built two years ago.

Another Wawa was built over in newport off 141 south, heading to New Castle, and there's another one being built on 13 south... Lots of wawa's popping up.

This is semi-Wilmington related, but Christiana Fashion Center has opened it's doors with the first anchors being, The Container Store, R.E.I., Nordstrom Rack, Saks of 5th, DSW Shoes, Ulta and there's a jewelers in progress of being built. The land cleared for the project is HUGE, definitely underestimated the size and capacity of this project, and all of the stores with the exception of DSW and Ulta, to my knowledge are firsts for Delaware.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head... maybe one day when I have time I'll drive around and get some pictures for you guys!

EDIT: And there's news of the Concord Plaza on silverside getting some apartments and retail possibly.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 5:48 PM

Market St - downtown Wilmington is still 10 years away from where it needs and should be, but there has been some progress over the last 10 years. New apartments and bars are open, and more are on the way. Biggest problems -- the nearby ultra-impoverished Hilltop, Quaker Hill, and East Side neighborhoods where shootings/homicides/drug wars occur on a regular basis brings a lot of shady characters to downtown all day long--to loiter, and basically do nothing positive all day. Furthermore, Rodney Square is essentially central command for the DART bus systems - which seems to promote an all day hangout zone for the city's homeless and crazies in the city's central core - all day long. It's often a wild scene.

With that said, here are some updates from a recent stroll down Market St and downtown:

Rehab project in Hilltop:

[IMG]Untitled

New - Merchant Bar - opening across street from World Cafe Live on Market St.:

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

New apartments scattered on Market St - 600 up to 800 blocks:

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]

[IMG]Untitled

Cafe/Restaurant/Bars opening soon on north Market - 800 block:

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Another newer restaurant - Pizzeria @ 831 Market:

[IMG]Untitled
Appears to be another BPG apt re-hab project going on here off King Street at 3rd Street:

[IMG]Untitled

This building is supposed to become an extended stay hotel - renovations haven't started yet - 1300 Market St:

[IMG]Untitled

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...aces/28810597/

Some upkeep work to an older office building at 700 King Street:

[IMG]Untitled

Retail mecca!

[IMG]Untitled

The Legal Arts Building - maybe the ugliest high-rise in the city (Community Services Building is pretty bad too though):

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

And the wait for the large Midtown Apartment complex continues:

"A planned 231-unit luxury apartment complex expected to break ground this summer would bridge the gap between decades-old redevelopment efforts along Market Street and a proposed creative district just west of downtown, according to downtown boosters." .........

"Spread over two high-rise buildings, the Residences at Midtown Park will take over the former sites of Mid-Town Parking Garage, Ninth Street Books and other retail stores. The development will occupy most of the block bounded by Ninth, Orange, Eighth and Shipley streets, helping to increase foot traffic in an area that's virtually deserted on the weekends." ..........

"All told, Buccini/Pollin plans to add nearly 400 apartment units to Wilmington by August 2016."

"In the Middle of It ALL" !!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:24 AM

I've got a couple of articles that seemed to have slipped through the cracks for this thread.

First things first, the Horizon Riverfront Rink returns on November 27th.

There's plans for a $1M skate plaza under the 95 viaduct right around Maryland Ave: http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...park/74347486/

The old Waltz Chicken on Vandever Ave that's been rundown for nearly three years or so now, is finally getting removed and turned into 4 town homes: http://delawarebusinessdaily.com/201...ntial-project/

Not sure how significant this is, but all the condos at Justison Landing are now leased: http://delawarebusinessdaily.com/201...tison-landing/

And Gold Club has been shut down (thank heavens):
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/76040562/

In other Delaware/Wilmington-Area news, Christiana Care is planning to expand: http://delawarebusinessdaily.com/2015/11/52914/

And the transformation of Darley Green is ongoing: http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...mont/75671072/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations