HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
From that link of the Le Meridien Hotel under the hospitality tab, is another rendering showing a "Crowne Plaza Austin" hotel. They said it was the predecessor of the Le Meridien project.

I really like this one. Nice proportions and classic skyscraper setbacks.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:18 AM
Meh

I really like the Marriott Rivercenter in San Antonio, and this has hints of that, but it's too hodgepodge for my taste, and the top leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That's hideous. Le Meridien design is better.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:41 AM

I just hope Le Meridean is a real project. The project's proposed site seems to be available which adds a very small amount of legitimacy. Also, White Lodging currently has a Le Meridien hotel project underway in Denver. But one thing that makes me skeptical is the Twitter account associated with the architect's website. It includes some personal ramblings and is not typical of a professional business account.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jul 20, 2015 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:25 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's like Bowie had a baby with The W.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:00 AM
World Traveler

I wonder if, in this hypothetical talk of offspring from two other existing buildings, we could combine two of our buildings to make a beautiful architectural design rather than...you know...that.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:21 AM

I like the repurposed jetway on the top right above the columns.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:23 PM
lurker

Le Meridien Hotel and Residence 42 stories

I have not heard anything about this project until today. But maybe I missed something.

Quote from ATX YIMBY Facebook;

Le Meridien Hotel and Resi - Randal EHM is seeking investors to a fund this ~42 story project in downtown Austin.
The 280 room luxury hotel w/ 170 condo units and Austin's only public observation deck and rooftop restaurant and lounge.
Located across Red River St from the Austin Convention center, the structure will be located by Waller Creek and the 6th street district.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:47 PM

Maybe Kevin could move the discussions (i.e. snarky comments ) about this project to here from the update thread since a thread was created for it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 7:30 PM

Could this be the second of the three upcoming White Lodging Proposals? The other lot they are slated to build a hotel on is in the same general area, around the convention center. Regardless of the design, this would be a huge project, extending the density along Red River north of the Fairmont.

But if it were legit wouldn't the Statesman or Austin Business Journal have picked up on it by now?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Could this be the second of the three upcoming White Lodging Proposals? The other lot they are slated to build a hotel on is in the same general area, around the convention center. Regardless of the design, this would be a huge project, extending the density along Red River north of the Fairmont.

But if it were legit wouldn't the Statesman or Austin Business Journal have picked up on it by now?
I was also thinking (more like hoping) that it could be that second White Lodging hotel too.

As far as the ABJ and Satesman picking up on this, we often scoop both of them on SSP. They tend to have articles about projects only after the developers make an announcement.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 9:16 PM
Member since 2001

This seems like a design firm looking for a job. I would not give it too much credence at this point.

In fact, I would expect LeMéridien would be quite pissed with their name attached to a "development" with out a developer (or funding). Is a cease and desist order forthcoming?!?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:26 PM
lurker

As someone mentioned on the Facebook page. This lot is one that is a prime location for the ACC to expand onto. With them looking for funding, they could incorporate large conference spaces at the bottom, maybe get some city investment. But ill agree that this tower is ugly and would hopefully get some makeover. I do like that they want to put a rooftop public observation area and restaurant.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:56 PM
Meh

I've always thought that if we're going to have a public observation somewhere that having it in a hotel near the convention center would be the best place. It doesn't make for much interesting street scenes to look at down below (since the convention center gobbled up a few of them), but it does create a protected view since the convention center will likely never go so vertical that it would block the view from any neighboring towers. Ideally, I wish the Fairmont had gone with their original design and had an observation deck, because the location of that hotel is perfect to take in the views of the bulk of downtown to the north. From the upper floors, it probably would have been possible to see the Capitol dome and UT Tower even.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:28 AM
World Traveler

And from that general location, you could have a 270 degree deck - south toward Rainey, west across downtown, and north up toward UT, etc. A deck facing east probably wouldn't be utilized as there's not as much cool stuff to look at, comparatively. You also have all the hills to the west.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It's like Bowie had a baby with The W.
More like the Bowie had conjoined twins with the W.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
More like the Bowie had conjoined twins with the W.
lol. I bet whoever designed this was like "let's put a unique architectural element on the top....ah hah! We'll slant each end"

......and Austin PLEASE STAHHHHP with these fuggin 9 level parking podiums on everything. STAHHHP

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:22 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

For the love of God, stop giving this crap lip service. It is not a real project. And, please delist it from Austin projects.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 5:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
For the love of God, stop giving this crap lip service. It is not a real project. And, please delist it from Austin projects.
It's worth keeping an eye on this lot, whether or not this project itself is going forward. We can rename the thread once a real project is announced down the line.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
lol. I bet whoever designed this was like "let's put a unique architectural element on the top....ah hah! We'll slant each end"

......and Austin PLEASE STAHHHHP with these fuggin 9 level parking podiums on everything. STAHHHP
This design looks a lot like a Google sketch up I can probably make when I'm suuuuuuper bored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin