HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 PM

Great building. Too bad it's not downtown... not a fan of the area.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 11:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

if anyone wants to learn more about westinghouse's legacy you can do so here:

Video Link

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 7:08 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 2:49 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

It's Buffalo's Central Terminal. The gentrification will have to come to it. Not the other way around.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:48 PM

Wow, looking god. What a beautiful building !!

From a Tweet from @industryous

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:55 PM

the thing I'm possibly most excited about with this project (aside from the obvious stunning restoration) is the ground floor dining/retail space with frontage onto Woodlands Park. Can't wait!

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:53 AM
Ham-burgher

Wow, so colourful! -- the images almost look like renders, if you ignore the construction-related stuff. She's cleaned up really nice.
(of course, having windows again makes a BIG difference too)

Pasted below now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Wow, looking god. What a beautiful building !!

From a Tweet from @industryous

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 1:01 AM

New parking lot in and new entryway being built:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:42 PM

Wow, that's awesome! My Dad worked for Westinghouse before he worked at Stelco...but I think he worked at one of their buildings on Longwood Road South...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:16 PM

I love what they're doing here! Will be exciting to tour once completed.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:41 PM

There's an article about the building in the the Fall issue of Hamilton Magazine, which came out today I believe as there were Tweets about it

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 10:32 PM
Ham-burgher

From the Spec, Feb 19: McCallum Sather makes former Westinghouse Headquarters its new home

The story is nice, but the 21 photos are the draw for me. What an amazing space they now have! I wonder who will fill out the other floors.

Just a taste from the article:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

erm whats up with the hall roof where it looks like parts of the white areas were just ripped off or never finished? I'm not liking that too much.. but I guess it's to show the underside of it a bit.. but the rest looks beautiful

I am always a bit miffed when they just paint everything that is detailed white though, feels like a cop-out to me - felt the same way with the lobby of the connaught. Put some gold on the accents! Also a bit disappointed they didn't actually repair the moulding on the ceiling, they just painted right over it.. still.. I like the overall job and am happy this space is being used again.

Last edited by Chronamut; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
erm whats up with the hall roof where it looks like parts of the white areas were just ripped off or never finished? I'm not liking that too much.. but I guess it's to show the underside of it a bit.. but the rest looks beautiful

I am always a bit miffed when they just paint everything that is detailed white though, feels like a cop-out to me - felt the same way with the lobby of the connaught. Put some gold on the accents!
I would appreciate more colour too and highlighting the details, but seems their goal was a bright clean space. Having worked in a beigey-taupe windowless jail cell for 10 years, I would welcome this look.

As for the unfinished details, from the story: "While heritage is honoured in the design, not every detail is buffed to museum standards. Some areas such as an exposed wall of concrete, plaster and paint act like an archeological investigation — revealing the structural heft of a building that was made to last." Guess it's just a matter of preference.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:33 PM

Love it! A bit white, yes, but I'm guessing more colour will be added with art and other accessories over time.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:19 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I would appreciate more colour too and highlighting the details, but seems their goal was a bright clean space. Having worked in a beigey-taupe windowless jail cell for 10 years, I would welcome this look.

As for the unfinished details, from the story: "While heritage is honoured in the design, not every detail is buffed to museum standards. Some areas such as an exposed wall of concrete, plaster and paint act like an archeological investigation — revealing the structural heft of a building that was made to last." Guess it's just a matter of preference.
I seriously wonder if they say that sometimes just to cover up a truth that is "we didn't have enough money to do a full restoration so we left parts "unfinished" so it looks like it was intentional to mask our goof up and to make it look like a design element".

Kind like how "exposed concrete and steel beams" in a lot of modern buildings is just code for "we were too cheap and modern chic allows us to get away with doing this" imo.

Also the lunch room looks like a martha stewart craft room haha - my mom was addicted to light wood and white and it always just made the room feel too.. bare..

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I seriously wonder if they say that sometimes just to cover up a truth that is "we didn't have enough money to do a full restoration so we left parts "unfinished" so it looks like it was intentional to mask our goof up and to make it look like a design element".

Kind like how "exposed concrete and steel beams" in a lot of modern buildings is just code for "we were too cheap and modern chic allows us to get away with doing this" imo.

Also the lunch room looks like a martha stewart craft room haha - my mom was addicted to light wood and white and it always just made the room feel too.. bare..
In a personal loft I wouldn’t mind the unfinished/industrial look, not so much in an office.

Tbh, I thought this was going to be residential units and was thinking who the hell would want to live in the ghetto?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:19 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
In a personal loft I wouldn’t mind the unfinished/industrial look, not so much in an office.

Tbh, I thought this was going to be residential units and was thinking who the hell would want to live in the ghetto?
People from barton and cannon st?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:50 PM

I think it looks amazing. The biggest question I have is, how in this office do you deal with that one employee in their last years before retirement who will take any opportunity to tell you all about their upcoming vacation? Thank goodness for a door in my office, I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with this.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:04 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
I think it looks amazing. The biggest question I have is, how in this office do you deal with that one employee in their last years before retirement who will take any opportunity to tell you all about their upcoming vacation? Thank goodness for a door in my office, I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with this.
you go into one of the soundproof rooms.

Or lock them in one of them

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton