HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:33 PM

^Yeah, it's dreadful.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:51 PM

I agree; it's awkward and the transition from dark to light isn't handled elegantly. I would have preferred they carry the stripes all the way up.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:18 AM
Hamilton Historian

I don't like the colour personally.. I would have even preferred a pure white.. I think the goal was originally to make it look broken up into different building heights so it wasn't just one giant slab of a building.. don't know if I like the approach though..

I even would have preferred the red and white modular design they had on the front, or a lit top..

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:59 AM

Perhaps it will be lit with colour up-lighting . That would be a first for Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:17 PM

Here's the website for the William Thomas Residence with prices for rent. I guess it's a relatively reasonable price for rent for a new building.

I assume the project is no longer under construction (ADMIN) as the website says you can move in now.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Here's the website for the William Thomas Residence with prices for rent. I guess it's a relatively reasonable price for rent for a new building.

I assume the project is no longer under construction (ADMIN) as the website says you can move in now.
I mean it is designed for McMaster/Mohawk students. I know that McMaster to live in residence is around $11,000 (10 months, including food plan, cannot stay over Christmas break, 2 bed room)

So for a more wealthy, or similarly wealthy individual $8400 for 12 months in a downtown area, right on the (Free for students) bus line/LRT line is not bad.

Compared to other buildings in the area, it is quite pricey, however there are no drug dealers and bed bug infestations, and there isn't really any new builds in downtown for rent.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:09 PM

I think this is the actual website for the building....looks like that other site is a leasing site by a real estate group perhaps? Or property manager?
Anyhow, more info here:

https://www.thewilliamthomas.com

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:56 PM
Hammer'd

Those prices actually seem really decent for a new build right in downtown Hamilton, even without included hydro.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:38 AM

Students moved in three months ago. Any news on a potential commercial storefront tenant?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 2:40 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hamilton/co...tudent_rental/

FWIW, here’s a review posted on the Hamilton subreddit.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:51 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hamilton/co...tudent_rental/

FWIW, here’s a review posted on the Hamilton subreddit.
that's really sad, but I don't know if any of us can really be surprised, it seems to reflect the trend of shoddy craftsmanship and lack of caring that have descended upon us in this era.

I also notice the ground floor area is still vacant - it's just pure concrete walls inside still. Here's to hoping this eventually gets filled with something nice.

At least the outside is nice and restored.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
that's really sad, but I don't know if any of us can really be surprised, it seems to reflect the trend of shoddy craftsmanship and lack of caring that have descended upon us in this era.

I also notice the ground floor area is still vacant - it's just pure concrete walls inside still. Here's to hoping this eventually gets filled with something nice.

At least the outside is nice and restored.
I was pretty much thinking the same thing - at least the outside looks nice.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
I was pretty much thinking the same thing - at least the outside looks nice.
I have a clear view of it and I don't think it looks incredible, even from the outside. It's not bad, but it has an almost sterile look to it.

I heard a lot of the same concerns about the interiors and how it was finished.

I preach this to everyone on this forum in different threads. It's important to look at how units are finished internally as well as the exterior. Buildings can look great from the outside but can be complete dumpster fires on the inside.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:27 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I have a clear view of it and I don't think it looks incredible, even from the outside. It's not bad, but it has an almost sterile look to it.

I heard a lot of the same concerns about the interiors and how it was finished.

I preach this to everyone on this forum in different threads. It's important to look at how units are finished internally as well as the exterior. Buildings can look great from the outside but can be complete dumpster fires on the inside.
Well this is for university students - they probably designed the inside knowing full well the students would eventually trash the place.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Well this is for university students - they probably designed the inside knowing full well the students would eventually trash the place.
I don't agree with that mindset, especially given how much the rent is.

Further, if that's the mentality, the place will continue to get a horrible reputation and one day they'll have to re-do the entire interior or even start from scratch with a no owner. You can't take shortcuts.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 5:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I don't agree with that mindset, especially given how much the rent is.

Further, if that's the mentality, the place will continue to get a horrible reputation and one day they'll have to re-do the entire interior or even start from scratch with a no owner. You can't take shortcuts.
I think their mentality was that theyd originally open it for students and by the time it was thoroughly trashed theyd convert them, gut the place and then provide it as a condo. Providing it as student housing may have just been their way of getting their foot in the door for such a prime location. We'll see though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I think their mentality was that theyd originally open it for students and by the time it was thoroughly trashed theyd convert them, gut the place and then provide it as a condo. Providing it as student housing may have just been their way of getting their foot in the door for such a prime location. We'll see though.
I think it will stay a student residence for a long time. With their other rental buildings currently getting ready for construction, I can't see them changing this building to condos.

It's a shame though. If you want to get in the residential build game, you have to realize that the interiors are just as important as the exterior. I'm not a massive fan of the exterior, to begin with. As I said, I personally find it sterile looking and when I look out my window or walk by it, I'm not in awe by it at all.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I think it will stay a student residence for a long time. With their other rental buildings currently getting ready for construction, I can't see them changing this building to condos.

It's a shame though. If you want to get in the residential build game, you have to realize that the interiors are just as important as the exterior. I'm not a massive fan of the exterior, to begin with. As I said, I personally find it sterile looking and when I look out my window or walk by it, I'm not in awe by it at all.
Yeah I agree with you there - esp. in contrast with the historical facade. I do love the facade though. Soo much better than what it used to look like.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you there - esp. in contrast with the historical facade. I do love the facade though. Soo much better than what it used to look like.
It's night and day compared to before. I'm just not a massive fan of it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
It's night and day compared to before. I'm just not a massive fan of it.
And that's the problem - so many developments where we are like "well.. it's OKAYYY.. better than it was.. but not as good as we'd like it to be" - so many developments are "it's better than nothing" - that's a terrible mentality for city building.

Now the building on say, the corner of john and king william that they restored.. muah! It's got awnings, its got colour it's got cornices, it's beautiful and in character with the surrounding buildings. Same with the templar flats building.

The lister block annex sadly, at least from the renderings, I have the same feeling of "eh, it's better than nothing" as compared to the craftsmanship of the lister block it just sorta represents the skill we no longer have or do on new buildings - no exterior craftsmanship, a bit of a sterile modern design.. kinda makes the artisan in me die a little lol..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton