HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Officially a Canadian city.

Trout Lake in Vancouver now safe to skate on, says Park Board.

"According to the park board, the last time Vancouver's lake and ponds were safe for public skating was in 1996".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...oard-1.3922162

Trout Lake, Vancouver, Jan.7 '17, my pics

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:06 PM

Shaughnessy was singled out on the news as having some of the worst sidewalks. When they interviewed the few millionaire "students" who answered the door they appeared bewildered or said it was too icy. If daddy can buy you a multimillion dollar house he can afford to get the yard service to clear it!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:15 PM

^^ Icy sidewalks blame the Chinese.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Shaughnessy was singled out on the news as having some of the worst sidewalks. When they interviewed the few millionaire "students" who answered the door they appeared bewildered or said it was too icy. If daddy can buy you a multimillion dollar house he can afford to get the yard service to clear it!
You could say that you are a bit...

salty.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:16 PM

I don't think that I have ever been so happy to see a cold rain as I am today.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:29 PM

Great to see that many people out on Trout Lake. Thanks for the pics mcminsen.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 9:40 PM

I think a lot of people knew it wouldn't last so they got out for the opportunity while they could. Might not happen again for a long time.

From the CBC today:

===========

"Vancouver's Trout Lake closed for skating, but Como Lake still open
Park board says conditions too warm and slushy Sunday after hundreds hit the ice the day before

After a busy Saturday of skating, city officials have closed Trout Lake as temperatures rise. (Deborah Goble/CBC)

After a historic Saturday of skating on East Vancouver's Trout Lake, city officials say Sunday's conditions are too warm and have closed the lake to the public.
Hundreds took to the ice yesterday, but the lake is now closed and surrounded by caution tape. Lifeguards are also on patrol to discourage any would-be skaters.
The Vancouver Park Board says the move was prompted by warmer temperatures combined with yesterday's heavy usage. The park board says it will reassess conditions on Monday."

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...osed-1.3926686

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I think a lot of people knew it wouldn't last so they got out for the opportunity while they could. Might not happen again for a long time.
Judging from the forecast, it'll probably open again this coming week.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
^^ Icy sidewalks blame the Chinese.
Don't blame me, I wasn't in the news crew who went door to door.

They did speak to the one person who was clearing and salting his walks, an elderly Asian man. He seemed to have no problem while the younger ones moaned about how it was too icy.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:09 PM

Same old entitled Millennials...

PS - with all those people no wonder the ice needs to be extra thick before they open it to the public!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:15 AM

sounds like it will hit -9 and be cold for a while down there again, hopefully the rain has washed some of the snow away.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:38 AM

We were in Whistler on Saturday and I was surprised how it wasn't super busy despite the beautiful weather. Granted, it was a bit cold, but nothing too bad.

It was interesting to see snow along the whole length of Sea to Sky Highway. During my 5 years in here I have never seen snow south of Squamish, which was a winter wonderland on Saturday. Now a lot of that might be gone with the rain overnight, although here in Metrotown the snow held up against the rain, although significantly shrinking.

I would be totally okay if the snow on ground would already melt and winter would only continue up on the mountains.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:03 AM

It is interesting to see, but this winter has actually been much colder in Portland, Oregon than in Victoria and Seattle, and even a bit colder than the western portions of Metro-Van. Portland has not gone above 5 degrees since Dec 30th... Today they had a low of -11 with a high of -2...

Just strange how sometimes an area considerably further south in the same general region can be even more directly hit from outflow conditions.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It is interesting to see, but this winter has actually been much colder in Portland, Oregon than in Victoria and Seattle, and even a bit colder than the western portions of Metro-Van. Portland has not gone above 5 degrees since Dec 30th... Today they had a low of -11 with a high of -2...

Just strange how sometimes an area considerably further south in the same general region can be even more directly hit from outflow conditions.
It makes sense. Portland is inland from the sea, so it is like a slightlyr warmer Fraser Valley. An icy and brutal winter like this would have an exaggerated impact in Portland.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:20 AM

Oh I know that, still amazing though how being over 400 KM further south has not made much of a dent, because they are still at sea level despite being somewhat inland. (and Vancouver, Seattle and Victoria to an extent are not on the open ocean either, so they don't get the full direct oceanic effect, such as say Tofino).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Oh I know that, still amazing though how being over 400 KM further south has not made much of a dent, because they are still at sea level despite being somewhat inland. (and Vancouver, Seattle and Victoria to an extent are not on the open ocean either, so they don't get the full direct oceanic effect, such as say Tofino).
It is amazing to think that it is 400km south! It also highlights the impact of the outflow winds. They hit Portland and much of the lower mainland and yet, as someone who lives in Olympic Village, I don't really feel them at all.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 AM

Exactly, it is really interesting to see how many micro climates there are in the PNW, and yet how it really is one region when it comes to weather patterns. This is why Portland is solidly much more akin to Van, Vic, and Seattle than San Francisco.

If you are living in Oak Bay in Victoria this winter has so far only given you a couple skiffs of snow and not a single night below -4....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 6:03 AM

was in portland for new years in 2006 and it was really a lot warmer than here, a lot of people were walking around in shorts. They must be freezing this winter.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 6:33 AM

And Portland got hit by snowstorm after snowstorm this year too. They basically got most of the storms we had here, but there were quite a few more that missed us and ended up in Portland.

Just this past week - last Saturday's storm only brought us some cloudiness in the evening, but it hit Portland instead. When our snowstorm last Sunday became a rainstorm, it was snowing most of the time in Portland - on top of Saturday's storm (and in fact, Seattle, Nanaimo, and part of Victoria all got significant amount of snow from that storm). When we enjoyed our sunny (and cold) weather mid-week, Portland got hit with another snow storm...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 6:56 AM

Yeah, was just reading some stories about that, this past Tuesday and Wednesday the Portland area received between 6 to 13 inches of snow! That is a much larger dumping than anything the Van, Vic, Seattle area has seen so far. And since then they have not gone above freezing so none of it has melted. Today again, their high was only -2 while the high in Van and Vic airports were both 3.

In the end it all has to do with the Willamette Valley, which acts as a perfect funnel during strong Arctic outflow conditions. Hence Portland's all time record lows are colder than Van, Vic, and Seattle's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion