HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 3:29 AM

Industry eyes St. Laurent for development

RM could be home to airship hangar pending council approval
Posted By Heather Robbins
Updated 4 days ago

Airships, similar to the one above, may be maintained and produced in a hangar in St. Laurent.

St. Laurent has been presented with the opportunity to become part of an emerging industry.

Blair Sherwood, president of Environmental Logistics Corp., spoke to the St. Laurent Community Development Corporation Nov. 16 about the possibility of building an airship hangar in the RM.

"I think it went over fairly well," said Sherwood. "I'm awaiting a letter of support from the council and CDC so I can go to the next step. Once we have that, we can seriously look at different investment options for major investors. Without local written support, we'll have to look at other locations."

Airships are power-driven craft kept buoyant by lighter-than-air gases such as helium and, formerly, hydrogen.

"The intention is to serve northern Manitoba as a substitute transportation for ice roads, which are becoming less reliable," said CDC president Tammy Terrance.

Sherwood said the hangar would provide airship maintenance, a logistics control centre and even production in the early stages of developing the industry.

"I believe the ramifications for the area to be huge, not only in jobs, but worldwide recognition as the place where the industrial cargo airship industry took off, if you'll excuse the pun," said Sherwood.

Sherwood says he initially approached St. Laurent because of its location.

"With the lake, relatively short distance to a major aerospace centre and the airspace in and around St. Laurent having few if any restrictions, it allows future development of this industry there," said Sherwood.

Sherwood says most of the project's funding would come from the private sector.

"If we get the letters of support, then we can seriously complete our fundraising," said Sherwood.

The project's construction could begin as early as 2011-2012.

"It would be welcomed by the RM and CDC for the business and employment it would bring to the community," said Terrance.

link

I think this is a pretty genius idea, no?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 6:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats interesting hopefully its not a pipe dream and it can actually be a useful technology for once

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 12:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Public hearing for contentious project

By: Staff Writer
29/01/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
THE Municipal Board has called a public hearing into the RM of Whitemouth's plans to build a $4.3 million water and waste system.The plan to build the infrastructure recently passed second reading by council for Whitemouth. However, holders of 56 of 96 land titles in the village registered their opposition.
A two-thirds majority is needed to defeat a local improvement plan.
The new system would cost some residents up to $34,000 for their property, or $64,000 amortized over 20 years.
The public hearing will be held March 2 at 7 p.m. at the Elma Community Centre. Elma is about 80 kilometres east of Winnipeg.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 29, 2010 A8

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 10:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Renaissance Brandon
CJOB News Team reporting
1/29/2010

Storefront cleanups, new business spaces, seasonal concerts and a skateboard park are all projects being undertaken this year to redevelop downtown Brandon.The Manitoba government is helping out with a 200-thousand dollar grant. That's in addition to a previous 180-thousand dollars designated to the project last year. That part involved demolishing a hotel to make way for a future YMCA.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:15 AM

Saskatchewan looking at importing more power from Manitoba

By Angela Hall, Leader-PostFebruary 2, 2010

REGINA — Saskatchewan and Manitoba will study the cost of improving the power transmission grid between them to allow for increased trade in electricity, the premiers of the provinces said Tuesday.

At the close of the first ever joint cabinet meeting between the neighbouring provinces, Premier Brad Wall said that as Saskatchewan looks at all of its energy options it needs to consider importing more hydro from Manitoba.

Saskatchewan has already been importing power from next door but in "admittedly small amounts," said Wall. The amount peaked in 2008 when Saskatchewan spent $6 million, he said.

In turn, if the grid is improved, there may be opportunity for Saskatchewan to export electricity if Manitoba suffers a drought, Wall said.

"What we're looking at is a feasibility study into improving the transmission grid between Saskatchewan and Manitoba to facilitate a more efficacious back and forth movement of electricity between provinces," said Wall from Yorkton, where the cabinets met.

Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger said the study will look at increasing the capacity of the grid by as much as 150 megawatts, which would about double the current capacity.

Manitoba's main customers of hydro power are in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but Selinger said the province would like to serve its neighbours to the east and west.

"When you look at North America all the grids flow north and south in every region and both Premier Wall and myself talked about the need to strengthen east-west connections for the grid for all of us, for energy security purposes all across the country," Selinger said.

"That's how we built the country with the railway in the early days. We think a national grid capacity is another step in strengthening the economic union in Canada."

The cabinets of Wall's Saskatchewan Party government and Selinger's NDP government will meet again in 2011 in Brandon, Man.

"We would like to get a report from our respective ministers on the energy file by next year to see what's possible," said Selinger, adding the Crown corporations responsible for power in each of the provinces will work together on the issue.

Wall and Selinger said they also talked about an upcoming premiers' mission to Washington, where they are expected to discuss measures in the U.S. that are seen as protectionist. Among the concerns is an American country-of-origin meat labelling law that is impacting livestock producers in Canada.

The Manitoba and Saskatchewan cabinets also agreed their highways ministers would convene a meeting of stakeholders, such as the trucking industry, to try and streamline transportation regulations, Wall said.

ahall@leaderpost.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/S...239/story.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 4:28 AM

On a related note, Brad Wall and Greg Selinger look like twins...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:00 AM
working stiff

Not development or construction, but it's related...geographically.

The titles are kind of awkward, but you get the gist of it.

Terminuses = where multi-lane highway/freeway becomes two lane highway.

Urban edge = where suburban residential or industrial borders farmland and/or acreages.

Essentially, how far do multi-lane roads extend beyond the urban edge before becoming two-lane highways.

I had no particular reason for doing this, just satisfying my curiosity.

(Rockwood is not Winnipeg CMA. The 20.5 km should be closer to 10 km...probably). I had to zoom out one more notch for Winnipeg to get it all in.

And Calgary...

Hopefully you found it as interesting as I did

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 2:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Why not 8 and 9 in Manitoba? They end within the pictures.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:14 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Why not 8 and 9 in Manitoba? They end within the pictures.
I was considering both of them. That area is so messy though, especially Highway 9 from West St. Paul to Selkirk. It's a contiguous mix of low density acreages, large lot residential, interspersed with several communities, coupled with multiple access points to Highway 9. From West St. Paul to Selkirk, Highway 9 has the appearance of a high volume arterial road in an urban area, so I opted not to include it.

I was also thinking of including Highway 8 from the Perimeter just past St. Andrews airport, but at the time decided against it (more or less the same reason as Highway 9). I do think Highway 8 is a better candidate than Highway 9 because there's less development. I would revise it if I did the map again.

I don't know Winnipeg very well (I've never visited) so my observations are likely a bit off.

Does Highway 9 have signal-controlled intersections anywhere between West St. Paul and Selkirk? It looks like a dangerous road.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't know...I've never actually driven up highway 8 or 9....I don't often hear about accidents though.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Hwy 8 is divided 100km/h road until just past St Andrews, Hwy 9 is just a 4 lane undivided road all the way to Selkirk - hardy a highway by any means.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
Does Highway 9 have signal-controlled intersections anywhere between West St. Paul and Selkirk? It looks like a dangerous road.
Outside of the city proper, there are traffic signals at (might not be perfect, it is just out of memory):

Riverglen Crescent (just inside the Perimeter)
Grassmere Road
Minnehaha Avenue
Allenford Drive
Highway 27
Highway 410
Highway 44

Off the top of my head I don't recall after Lockport (Highway 44).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Interesting but still confusing as to what it means, especially when comparing city to city. Anyways, hopefully Highway 11 to Prince Albert can be completed very soon. Also, I wonder if anything more has been discussed lately about twinning highway 6 from Regina to highway 39 and highway 39 from there to the border?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:44 PM

^ I don't think it was to compare the cities per se. He did state "I had no particular reason for doing this, just satisfying my curiosity."

I particularly enjoyed how the maps demonstrate the best thing to come out of Regina - Highway 11 North.
Jokes, jokes.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
^ I don't think it was to compare the cities per se. He did state "I had no particular reason for doing this, just satisfying my curiosity."

I particularly enjoyed how the maps demonstrate the best thing to come out of Regina - Highway 11 North.
Jokes, jokes.
And I enjoy driving on it to head to Saskatoon for 2 of the only things the city is good for: Fuddruckers and a rock show

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:16 PM

These maps are interesting, but I don't think there's really anything useful to be gleaned from them. If a theoretical city had nothing but four-lane highways going all the way out to their destinations, that city would score a zero. Same as a city that had nothing but two-lane highways radiating out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 7:03 AM
working stiff

I'll be honest, I was kind of hoping the results would reveal a pattern related to the density and dispersion of development within or near an urban area.

I just don't see anything in these four cities that speaks to it. Although my research was hardly exhaustive (or precise ).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

never relized how long 59 was befor its tobad the twinging is not all the way to the beach though

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 12:09 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
never relized how long 59 was befor its tobad the twinging is not all the way to the beach though
That's the eventual plan.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:50 PM
What could go wrong?

The award for design on the twinning of 59 north to Victoria Beach should be awarded any day now if not already. Construction could start as early as next year, 2012 at the latest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan