HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It's also nice that there isn't 3 pages of unintelligible, negative commenting attached to the articles.
That being said, it surprises me that there's often no comments on most articles.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 6:02 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
That being said, it surprises me that there's often no comments on most articles.
Because nobody or maybe I should say very few go to the site.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 1:03 PM

I'm not necessarily a CBC fan so I wasn't excited at all about CBC Hamilton, but it's not a bad site at all and I enjoy visiting it and the stories. I think that it is funny though that the Tweets are location marked (I assume) as there are a tonne that come out of the Locke Street Starbucks haha.

Nice to see The Spec amping it up a bit too. One thing that I really like that they introduced a few months ago is the monthly local business section.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:41 PM

One thing I've noticed about CBC Hamilton is they close their stories to comment almost immediately after they're posted. On several occasions I've tried to respond to an article only to be turned away. I sent an email to the editor and he had no idea what I was talking about. I'm not sure whether other people have had similar problems or not.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:25 PM

Postmedia Sheds Costs With Shift To Hamilton (Steve Ladurantaye, Globe & Mail, Aug 14, 2012)

Postmedia Network Inc. is accelerating plans to slash costs at titles across the country, as it grapples with a heavy debt load and a relatively bleak view of the future of print advertising.

As the industry confronts a prolonged slump in advertising, Postmedia has moved aggressively to shore up its balance sheet and centralize the production of its newspapers.

The newspaper chain’s approach will be closely watched by other publishers across the country, who are having trouble growing digital revenues fast enough to make up for losses in print revenues.

Its plans have come into sharper focus this week.

Just a day after the Edmonton Journal said it would outsource the printing of the newspaper, The Gazette in Montreal said Tuesday that it would begin using centralized pages for its national and international coverage, and shrink to two sections.

By the end of the month, all of its newspapers will use shared pages built in Hamilton for their non-local content in a bid to centralize story selection and editing – local editors currently select and edit the national and international stories that appear in their pages.

“Newspapers everywhere are seeing a decline in revenue and it may not come back,” said Paul Godfrey, the company’s chief executive officer.

“The truth is, it’s not coming back. The only thing to do is reduce legacy costs and change the way you do business. You want to survive? That’s what has to happen.”

Many North American print media companies, including The New York Times and several others across the United States, have responded to a weak ad market by introducing paywalls, which force readers to pay for their online consumption. But Mr. Godfrey says the key to survival is to cut costs.

The summer has seen a flurry of announcements from Postmedia that are intended to help it cut spending by $120-million over the next three years and repay its $480-million in debt – including plans to reduce the number of publishing days at some papers and the sale of the company’s Toronto headquarters.

It’s a concession that the chain’s best earning days may be in its past: In its latest quarter, Postmedia lost $12.1-million compared with a loss of $2.7-million in the same quarter last year.

Postmedia is not alone.

Last week, Quebecor Inc. chief executive officer Pierre Karl Péladeau said the company was “actively lightening our cost structure to reflect the current market conditions” as it reported declining revenue at its Sun Media chain of newspapers.

The Globe and Mail had employees take four unpaid days each this summer to help reduce costs through the advertising slump.

Postmedia has spent the past several months laying the groundwork for its restructuring. It has closed its Ottawa-based wire service and laid off copy editors and page designers – once seen as the lifeblood of daily newspapers – to send their work to a centralized facility in Hamilton.

Last week, it refinanced $250-million in debt to buy itself some time to undertake the broader restructuring. The deal was seen as key, because the money was used to pay back loans that could have caused the company some difficulty next year.

The company is now turning its attention to how its 10 major-market newspapers operate and deliver news to consumers. The first glimpse of the centralized future was unveiled Tuesday as The Gazette said it would compress into two sections and focus on analysis instead of breaking news.

“It’s something we’ve looked at doing over the years,” Gazette publisher Alan Allnut said. “We feel the print side needs to be more compact, but the focus on local is inevitable for city newspapers.”

It’s the first of the papers to announce the changes that will soon occur across the chain, and will leave much of the editorial decision-making power in the hands of editors outside of each newspaper’s city.

The Hamilton editors, led by industry veteran Lou Clancy, will also be allowed to determine which stories appear on the front page of each of the chain’s papers, although local stories will take precedence.

“I know some people think this isn’t a good way to go,” Mr. Godfrey said. “But when you explain the situation and tell them about the state of this industry right now, they usually come around.”

In related news...

Wondering How Far Magazines Must Fall (David Carr, New York Times, Aug 12, 2012)

Excerpt:

Like newspapers, magazines have been in a steady slide, but now, like newspapers, they seem to have reached the edge of the cliff. Last week, the Audit Bureau of Circulations reported that newsstand circulation in the first half of the year was down almost 10 percent. When 10 percent of your retail buyers depart over the course of a year, something fundamental is at work.

I talked to an executive at one of the big Manhattan publishers about the recent collapse at the newsstand and he said, “When the airplane suddenly drops 10,000 feet and it doesn’t crash, you still end up with your heart in your stomach. Those are very, very bad numbers.” ....

It’s not just consumers who are playing hard to get: advertising is down 8.8 percent year to date over the same miserable period a year ago, according to the Publishers Information Bureau. With readership in such steep decline and advertising refusing to come back, magazines are in a downward spiral that not even their new digital initiatives can halt.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:04 PM

Where is this Hamilton editing thing located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Postmedia Sheds Costs With Shift To Hamilton (Steve Ladurantaye, Globe & Mail, Aug 14, 2012)

Postmedia Network Inc. is accelerating plans to slash costs at titles across the country, as it grapples with a heavy debt load and a relatively bleak view of the future of print advertising.

As the industry confronts a prolonged slump in advertising, Postmedia has moved aggressively to shore up its balance sheet and centralize the production of its newspapers.

The newspaper chain’s approach will be closely watched by other publishers across the country, who are having trouble growing digital revenues fast enough to make up for losses in print revenues.

Its plans have come into sharper focus this week.

Just a day after the Edmonton Journal said it would outsource the printing of the newspaper, The Gazette in Montreal said Tuesday that it would begin using centralized pages for its national and international coverage, and shrink to two sections.

By the end of the month, all of its newspapers will use shared pages built in Hamilton for their non-local content in a bid to centralize story selection and editing – local editors currently select and edit the national and international stories that appear in their pages.

“Newspapers everywhere are seeing a decline in revenue and it may not come back,” said Paul Godfrey, the company’s chief executive officer.

“The truth is, it’s not coming back. The only thing to do is reduce legacy costs and change the way you do business. You want to survive? That’s what has to happen.”

Many North American print media companies, including The New York Times and several others across the United States, have responded to a weak ad market by introducing paywalls, which force readers to pay for their online consumption. But Mr. Godfrey says the key to survival is to cut costs.

The summer has seen a flurry of announcements from Postmedia that are intended to help it cut spending by $120-million over the next three years and repay its $480-million in debt – including plans to reduce the number of publishing days at some papers and the sale of the company’s Toronto headquarters.

It’s a concession that the chain’s best earning days may be in its past: In its latest quarter, Postmedia lost $12.1-million compared with a loss of $2.7-million in the same quarter last year.

Postmedia is not alone.

Last week, Quebecor Inc. chief executive officer Pierre Karl Péladeau said the company was “actively lightening our cost structure to reflect the current market conditions” as it reported declining revenue at its Sun Media chain of newspapers.

The Globe and Mail had employees take four unpaid days each this summer to help reduce costs through the advertising slump.

Postmedia has spent the past several months laying the groundwork for its restructuring. It has closed its Ottawa-based wire service and laid off copy editors and page designers – once seen as the lifeblood of daily newspapers – to send their work to a centralized facility in Hamilton.

Last week, it refinanced $250-million in debt to buy itself some time to undertake the broader restructuring. The deal was seen as key, because the money was used to pay back loans that could have caused the company some difficulty next year.

The company is now turning its attention to how its 10 major-market newspapers operate and deliver news to consumers. The first glimpse of the centralized future was unveiled Tuesday as The Gazette said it would compress into two sections and focus on analysis instead of breaking news.

“It’s something we’ve looked at doing over the years,” Gazette publisher Alan Allnut said. “We feel the print side needs to be more compact, but the focus on local is inevitable for city newspapers.”

It’s the first of the papers to announce the changes that will soon occur across the chain, and will leave much of the editorial decision-making power in the hands of editors outside of each newspaper’s city.

The Hamilton editors, led by industry veteran Lou Clancy, will also be allowed to determine which stories appear on the front page of each of the chain’s papers, although local stories will take precedence.

“I know some people think this isn’t a good way to go,” Mr. Godfrey said. “But when you explain the situation and tell them about the state of this industry right now, they usually come around.”

In related news...

Wondering How Far Magazines Must Fall (David Carr, New York Times, Aug 12, 2012)

Excerpt:

Like newspapers, magazines have been in a steady slide, but now, like newspapers, they seem to have reached the edge of the cliff. Last week, the Audit Bureau of Circulations reported that newsstand circulation in the first half of the year was down almost 10 percent. When 10 percent of your retail buyers depart over the course of a year, something fundamental is at work.

I talked to an executive at one of the big Manhattan publishers about the recent collapse at the newsstand and he said, “When the airplane suddenly drops 10,000 feet and it doesn’t crash, you still end up with your heart in your stomach. Those are very, very bad numbers.” ....

It’s not just consumers who are playing hard to get: advertising is down 8.8 percent year to date over the same miserable period a year ago, according to the Publishers Information Bureau. With readership in such steep decline and advertising refusing to come back, magazines are in a downward spiral that not even their new digital initiatives can halt.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:37 PM

PostMedia currently has a location somewhere in Ancaster. I'm not sure where in Ancaster, though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:41 AM

Post Media also has something near Rifle Range Road. Where that tiny Score office is.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:43 AM

820 CHAM switching it up again in 40 minutes to a comedy station. My wife is grieving haha. She always has it on. She likes country music enough but more felt that there wasn't going to be anything terribly offensive being talked about that our daughter would hear.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:07 PM

Thanks for the PostMedia info. I was wondering if maybe they were downtown somewhere.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
Post Media also has something near Rifle Range Road. Where that tiny Score office is.
http://www.canada.com/canwestnewsser...act/index.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:27 PM

Star Media Group job posting: "Editor – Hamilton Digital News Service".

Qualifications:

•College and/or university education, plus related work experience
•Strong understanding of the news and knowledge of Mississauga, its economy and business community

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 1:14 PM

Torstar alumni return to the fold. Hopefully more substantial and less nepotistic than the Spec's business coverage.

Hamilton gets daily online business news service (Hamilton Spectator, Nov 22 2012)

Two veteran media professionals will lead a new daily online business news service to be launched in Hamilton in January.

Mark Cripps and Roger Gillespie will head up YourHamiltonBiz.com, a new concept in media and business intelligence to serve the Hamilton and area business community.

Cripps, who serve as publisher and editor of the site, was managing editor of the Hamilton Community News and recently served as press secretary for MPP Ted McMeekin.

Gillespie, who will serve as managing editor, worked for The Hamilton Spectator, the Toronto Star and was the founding executive producer at CBC Hamilton.

YourHamiltonBiz.com will provide subscribers with original news and information produced by a dedicated editorial team based in Hamilton. The team will produce a daily digest of information and news aimed at local business owners and entrepreneurs.

Star Media Group recently launched a sister site, Your MississaugaBiz.com, serving the business communities of Mississauga and Brampton.

Star Media Group is a division of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited, a subsidiary of Torstar Corporation. The Hamilton Spectator is a division of Metroland Media Group, also a subsidiary of Torstar Corporation.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 1:44 PM

I wonder who's going to take over Gillespie's role at CBC Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 2:48 PM

Stumbling right off the block. Why make this announcement and then have the webpage point to a dns parking page? Like you couldn't get something running on the domain first? I predict quick faliure. The spammy name won't help either. "biz"? really? and we are to believe this is a respectable service? The whole thing is weird.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:20 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Stumbling right off the block. Why make this announcement and then have the webpage point to a dns parking page? Like you couldn't get something running on the domain first? I predict quick faliure. The spammy name won't help either. "biz"? really? and we are to believe this is a respectable service? The whole thing is weird.
Not to add to the negativity, but yea: the name... Biz? Really? That's about as "spammy" as it gets. I just find it bizarre that someone who clearly works in online news would choose that domain.

Regardless, I hope all works out well! The more business here in town, the better!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 7:23 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:04 PM

So has anyone actually been to YourHamiltonBiz.com? You have to subscribe to see anything. Plans cost $4-$6 per week.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
So has anyone actually been to YourHamiltonBiz.com? You have to subscribe to see anything. Plans cost $4-$6 per week.
I clicked on something I wanted see via Twitter and thought it might be free the first month (without having to register). No dice. I'm really skeptical of this business model.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 3:54 PM

Rogers back in Hamilton with purchase of Shaw
(Hamilton Spectator, Lisa Grace Marr, Jan 16, 2013)

Many Hamilton consumers will need to get up to speed on a new carrier’s package of telecommunication services and possibly consider changing home or business email addresses for the third time in just over three years as Rogers makes a $400-million purchase of Shaw Communication’s Mountain Cablevision.

It’s part of a $700-million deal with Shaw as it also buys Shaw’s AWS spectrum holdings in 2014. In turn, Calgary-based Shaw will own one-third interest in Rogers’ TVtropolis. The offer is still subject to regulatory approval, expected in the first half of this year.

“We really liked the Hamilton cable asset, but when you look at our overall business, our focus is clearly in Western Canada,” said Chethan Lakshman, a Shaw spokesperson.

Shaw purchased Mountain Cablevision, a relatively small, family-owned cable provider in 2009.

At the time, there were about 27,000 Internet and 41,000 cable TV customers in a region stretching across Hamilton Mountain, Binbrook, Mount Hope, Caledonia, Hagersville, Jarvis, Cayuga and Dunnville....

A Rogers spokesperson said no job losses are expected. Mountain Cablevision has a staff of about 130.

Rogers CEO’s slow deals game could pay off
(National Post, Theresa Tedesco, Jan 17, 2013)

Who says Nadir Mohamed, the cerebral chief executive of Rogers Communications Inc., isn’t wired to make deals?

Since taking the corner office at Rogers four years ago, critics have griped that the low-key CEO lacked spine, costing Rogers a chance to snare prime properties, such as the highly-coveted specialty channels owned by Canwest Communications Inc. Some even sniped that rather than pull the trigger on the $1.32-billion deal for an ownership stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. on his own, Mr. Mohamed lost nerve and opted to team up with rival BCE Inc.

On Monday, however, Mr. Mohamed reclaimed a tiny asset that had slipped through his hands in 2009 — and infuriated the controlling Rogers family — but that will have much larger impact on Rogers in the future.

Rogers acquired Mountain Cablevision Ltd., a family-operated full service high-speed Internet, telephone and cable provider with about 41,000 subscribers based in Hamilton, Ont. for $400-million on Monday as part of a transaction that also secured all-important unused airwave spectrum in Western Canada....

Clearly, the recent transaction with Shaw, valued at about $700-million, is anchored around wireless. The Calgary-based giant refocused its efforts on its cable operations after it bowed out of the mobile business in late 2011. To that end, it had little use for the unused spectrum over British Columbia and Alberta for which it paid $190-million in 2008.

Rogers, on the other hand, has seen the days of its dominance in the country’s smartphone market evaporate. It’s doggedly competing in the $18-billion wireless industry with Telus, BCE Inc.’s Bell Mobility and smaller players like Wind Mobile.

So call Mountain Cablevision a clean-up trade. Mr. Mohamed secures all-important wireless real estate and keeps it from falling into the hands of Rogers’ competitors while taking back a small, but symbolic slice of the company’s lost turf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy