HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
What is the Derby's website? I'm not finding anything.
http://www.derbyapts.com/

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 2:16 AM

Derby will be staging on the lot bordered by 4th St. / Garfield / 5th St. / McKinley. Fence should be up by the end of the week.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 2:52 AM

Well that username makes me happy.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 6:09 PM

View from the Hampton Inn webcam today:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 6:48 PM

Cornish Pasty is *finally* open

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Cornish Pasty is *finally* open

Welcome to the forum fawd...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Thanks, guy! Been 'lurking' here for years..

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

This is an entertaining show if anyone is looking for a new series to get into.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
View from the Hampton Inn webcam today:

I thought most taller buildings had a basement for mechanical, electronics, utilities, technical, service, storage, etc. Is this building just going be built on a slab once the plumbing work is finished? Is that unusual?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I thought most taller buildings had a basement for mechanical, electronics, utilities, technical, service, storage, etc. Is this building just going be built on a slab once the plumbing work is finished? Is that unusual?
As far as my experience goes, I would say it's fairly unusual to see a building not drilling supports right now into the ground before plumbing. I couldn't imagine a 125' tall building not having pier drillings at this point or at all. In some cases mechanical, Hvac etc will be placed at the top of the building. However, That's a lot of weight for a slab. Who knows though. Anyone have foundation experience?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
As far as my experience goes, I would say it's fairly unusual to see a building not drilling supports right now into the ground before plumbing. I couldn't imagine a 125' tall building not having pier drillings at this point or at all. In some cases mechanical, Hvac etc will be placed at the top of the building. However, That's a lot of weight for a slab. Who knows though. Anyone have foundation experience?
I wouldn't say it's too unusual. Edison was started in the same way. Ground plumbing and electrical went first and then the concrete supports.

Also, fence is up at Derby now. Here's a pic I took yesterday after work. Sorry for the extra-supersized pic.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Mar 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Do you think they'll build a ten story building without proper supports and no inspections? Relax.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:34 PM

I've had discussions with the neighboring business owners about their feelings on Derby, don't expect construction to start without a fight. They are currently asking for an emergency injunction to halt construction until they get some things hammered out.

Current points of contention are:

1. Swinging the crane over adjoining buildings. I personally think this complaint is frivolous and there has to be some sort of variance the city awards for these purposes, nevertheless they have all stated "if your crane swings over my building the police will be here."

2. The north side of the building will be a solid wall. Again, I agree with no windows because if they build it with windows on a zero lot line it would effectively kill any future opportunity for the neighboring lot to be developed.

3. "there doesn't need to be a 20 story building on Roosevelt Row". I'm not sure why they are against that, the business owners I know in the area will all benefit from more residents in the area. They'll sell more beer, they'll sell more video game tokens, they'll feed more ice cream and egg sandwiches, and they'll put more people on bicycles.

I've developed and I've been through fights with neighbors. Granted, I've never done anything even remotely on this scale but one thing I've known from the beginning is you need to go out of your way to establish a good relationship with your neighbors. This may well be a case of the neighbors being unwilling to even have a discussion with you, but there's no evidence they are trying to reach out before starting construction.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

1. Swinging the crane over adjoining buildings. I personally think this complaint is frivolous and there has to be some sort of variance the city awards for these purposes, nevertheless they have all stated "if your crane swings over my building the police will be here."
http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

They can shut their mouths and get over it. Plus they will unlikely be swinging supplies over those areas. I think its illegal to, right?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I've had discussions with the neighboring business owners about their feelings on Derby, don't expect construction to start without a fight. They are currently asking for an emergency injunction to halt construction until they get some things hammered out.

2. The north side of the building will be a solid wall. Again, I agree with no windows because if they build it with windows on a zero lot line it would effectively kill any future opportunity for the neighboring lot to be developed.

3. "there doesn't need to be a 20 story building on Roosevelt Row". I'm not sure why they are against that, the business owners I know in the area will all benefit from more residents in the area. They'll sell more beer, they'll sell more video game tokens, they'll feed more ice cream and egg sandwiches, and they'll put more people on bicycles.

I've developed and I've been through fights with neighbors. Granted, I've never done anything even remotely on this scale but one thing I've known from the beginning is you need to go out of your way to establish a good relationship with your neighbors. This may well be a case of the neighbors being unwilling to even have a discussion with you, but there's no evidence they are trying to reach out before starting construction.
The city finally gets some life and solid, continual growth and we already have f***g Nimby's. Come on

As for the third point I hate that its even a complaint but it does work for some reason. The Tower Verre in New York was held up on complaints that a 70 story building was "out of character" in midtown Manhattan for years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

Likewise, there is no need for dozens of tap handles at Angels Trumpet and no need for dozens of flavors at Snoh Ice Shavery. Nevertheless, the market supports all those options. If it can also support a true high rise apartment building (as opposed to all the six-story buildings mislabeled "high rise" by opponents of Roosevelt Row development), then let it happen.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:

A 20 story building with no windows on one side? Reason enough to object it. It's an understanding in most urban areas that one does not have a right to a view. I wonder if the same excuse was given when the Pima County Legal Services building was constructed in Tucson without windows on its south side 50 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:13 PM

Looks like a long empty retail space in Skyline Lifts is finally being filled. I couldn't grab a shot as I was driving by but there was equipment and workers in the corner space on Fillmore and 4th st.

13th Floor, the rooftop bar in the Hilton Garden Inn, opens tonight!

Fractured Prune at Cityscape has closed due to nearby construction complications. I think this is due to the taqueria that was supposed to open in December.

Work is progressing on the Barrister lot and Angels Trumpet. The parking lot at Barrister is ripped up.

Also Adams has reopened between Central and 1st Street. I'm impressed. Two empty retail spots remain fronting Adams.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Looks like a long empty retail space in Skyline Lifts is finally being filled. I couldn't grab a shot as I was driving by but there was equipment and workers in the corner space on Fillmore and 4th st.

13th Floor, the rooftop bar in the Hilton Garden Inn, opens tonight!

Fractured Prune at Cityscape has closed due to nearby construction complications. I think this is due to the taqueria that was supposed to open in December.

Work is progressing on the Barrister lot and Angels Trumpet. The parking lot at Barrister is ripped up.

Also Adams has reopened between Central and 1st Street. I'm impressed. Two empty retail spots remain fronting Adams.
Went to The Park and Cornish Pasty last night. The service at The Park was a disaster. They are opening up a Whinning Pig next door as well. Signs are up.

The Renaissance looks great! The restaurant inside looks awesome. I'm sure the other retail will fill soon.

Cornish Pasty was outstanding! And PACKED! Bars on all three floors were open with barely an open seat. That corner there is now quite the spot with Cornish Pasty, the Nook, Valley Bar and now the rooftop bar.

Couldn't help but feel the momentum building downtown last night.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 1:12 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
It looks great. The varied pavement is the sort of design cue that calms traffic and welcome pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The Renaissance looks great! The restaurant inside looks awesome. I'm sure the other retail will fill soon.
I had lunch at the Dust Cutter the other day. It's so much better than anything that hotel has done before in terms of food and beverage. Keep in mind that the Dust Cutter is the hotel's bar and lounge, although it has a perfectly good lunch / dinner menu. The actual restaurant, Marston's, is buried inside the hotel, is seldom visited by anyone other than hotel guests, and has not yet been renovated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest