HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:01 AM

I hadnt been down there in a couple weeks and was surprised to see so much above ground

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:36 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
I hadnt been down there in a couple weeks and was surprised to see so much above ground
I had the same thought. I'm very excited about this project & I have high hopes for how it'll turn out, especially compared to the hotel going up at 3rd & Taylor which is turning out to be even more bland than it looked on paper. Sadly, Sky3 is turning out badly too. It's better than nothing, of course, but there's something about the white-ish gray on gray color scheme that seems to require extra special attention to detail which usually ends up lacking in the end. Granted, neither of those is turning out as badly as the Yard, but still... they're disappointing. I'm hoping not to be disappointed by this Porter hotel. I have a feeling it's going to be rather handsome, and a welcome addition to this part of town.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I had the same thought. I'm very excited about this project & I have high hopes for how it'll turn out, especially compared to the hotel going up at 3rd & Taylor which is turning out to be even more bland than it looked on paper. Sadly, Sky3 is turning out badly too. It's better than nothing, of course, but there's something about the white-ish gray on gray color scheme that seems to require extra special attention to detail which usually ends up lacking in the end. Granted, neither of those is turning out as badly as the Yard, but still... they're disappointing. I'm hoping not to be disappointed by this Porter hotel. I have a feeling it's going to be rather handsome, and a welcome addition to this part of town.
Agreed, very excited about the Porter, especially the roof bar, looks to be a real run for Departure's money!

As to the AC Marriott, actually I find it is looking slightly better than I expected, still a bit bland, but the last renderings I saw were really, really, really bland.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:28 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:13 PM

In contrast with the Ace Hotel, the finish work (glazing) on this building appears to be quite different than the way it was presented in final renderings. The interesting pattern created by the interplay of what appeared to be different glass tints, or perhaps spandrel panels, is now much more subtle. Be interesting to see if a stronger visual pattern emerges as the building progresses.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:43 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:15 PM

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:49 AM

I'm really loving how the skin on this building looks. Classy and coherent. Am I alone in thinking that it looks even better than the renderings?

Imagine if this was on the Yard instead...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:31 AM

Very handsome!

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:59 PM

DJC article ($) about new hotels in Portland that the Porter hotel has been put on the market by Widewaters, and Provenance Hotels is looking at buying it (though hasn't been able to come to terms yet).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:57 AM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 9:47 AM
BANNED

Beautiful building. Too bad it's sorta hidden. Now this is how the Yard should have looked like

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:56 AM

I'm glad there will soon be more choices to eat and drink near the Keller Auditorium. If only I'd been able to get 'Hamilton' tickets...

Quote:
Hilton’s New Downtown Portland Hotel Unveils Four Dining Experiences
The Porter Portland names AJ Voytko executive chef

Part of Hilton Worldwide Holdings, The Porter Portland hotel is expected to open February 2018 at 1355 SW 2nd Ave. in downtown Portland, near the Keller Auditorium. It will bring around 300 rooms and four unique dining options — as well as a familiar face in the kitchen.

Porter Portland tells Eater it has named AJ Voytko executive chef, charged with overseeing all four establishments. Voytko has helmed the burners at the Original Dinerant for the past three years.

At the Original Dinerant, Voytko earned a reputation for over-the-top diner classics, like a grilled cheese involving shoestring fries, prompting a visit from Guy Fieri of the Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Before that, Voytko was named a Rising Star of American Cuisine by the James Beard Foundation, while cooking in San Diego.
...continues at Eater Portland.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:20 PM

^This hotel just keeps getting better and better. The fabric choice for the booths though, yikes!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:43 PM

I will definitely be heading here for Gay Pride next year.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:22 PM

Porter scheduled to open April 22!

also...

Union Investment buys Portland's The Porter, a Curio by Hilton
by Elliott Mest | Mar 7, 2018 11:00am
Hotel Management - www.hotelmanagement.net

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/tran...urio-by-hilton

Quote:
Union Investment acquired The Porter, a boutique lifestyle hotel in Portland, Ore., which opened at the beginning of the year.

Offering 294 rooms, the property is part of the Curio Collection by Hilton brand. The developer, vendor and operator of the hotel is Widewaters Hotels, which already developed and acquired 38 hotels and currently successfully operates 18 hotels in the US. The purchase price is roughly $150 million, with the acquisition being made on behalf of open-ended real estate fund Unilmmo: Global. Recently, the fund acquired the planned Thompson brand boutique and lifestyle hotel in Washington D.C.

The Porter is located at the intersection of SW 2nd Avenue and SW Columbia Street in downtown Portland, which is the city’s central business district. Portland is Union Investment’s sixth hotel location in the US, and its second on the West Coast. The Hamburg-based real estate investment manager previously acquired the Hilton Garden Inn Seattle in 2017.

“With its high construction quality, exceptional high-end accommodation concept and excellent location in Portland’s business district, The Porter is the ideal addition to our U.S. portfolio, which is set to grow at a similar pace going forward as in recent years,” Andreas Löcher, head of investment management hospitality at Union Investment Real Estate, said in a statement.
...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 6:00 AM
A before E

That part of downtown is beginning to feel very Seattle like to me, I have to say I am really liking this new hotel from the outside perspective. It really pushes a major urban feel to that area as it gets even more dense.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 6:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow! I didn't realize they'd made that much progress. That's fantastic news!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Hilton throws open the doors of its newest Portland luxury hotel (Photos)

The Hilton has thrown open the doors of its new downtown Portland luxury spot.

The Porter Portland is the 50th spot in the chain's Curio Collection. The spot, at 1355 S.W. Second Ave., features 297 guest rooms, a library, an indoor pool and, in the rooms, Frette robes and slippers.

Its 16-stories feature four dining options, including the Terrane Italian Kitchen + Bar and the Chiosco Pizza Window.

Hilton is marketing the spot as a business hotel. It sits near the site of the new Multnomah County Courthouse, as well as Umpqua Bank Plaza.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I've been walking past the hotel a couple times a week watching them trying out the equipment. Restaurants are on both corners, a pizza window mid-way down Columbia and windows into the kitchens on both sides. Very lively. If I was a chef/kitchen staff, I'd love the natural light into the back of house. Can't wait to go in and see in person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland