HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:21 AM
Dartmouth Girl

[Dartmouth] Russel Lake West

After a jaunt over to Russel Lake West on Wednesday night with Wishblade, it seems as though they are making quite a good amount of progress on the whole subdivision overall, although I must say we were both rather impressed with the retail portion of the new area.

The Sobeys is coming along very well, as is the Kent, there is a sign up for the development of what seems to be a very small, community oriented version of Dartmouth Crossing called Millstone Square at Russel Lake, it looks like that shopping centre will be filling in the space between the Sobeys and the Kent. There is also a sign up for a BMO that says it'll be open in the fall.

Here are some photos:

Sobeys from the entrance off Baker Drive:

(and Sobeys & downtown)

Kent from the same entrance:

Millstone Square sign along Baker Drive:

BMO Sign along Baker Drive:

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 11:47 AM

I'm glad you posted these. I was over there Friday and intended to take some pictures until I realized my camera wasn't in the car. I was going to go over again today but now I don't need to.

My visit Friday was my first time there and I was astounded at the scope of the development. Not that it is particularly huge by some standards but I had heard next to nothing about it and had never seen it previously, so it was a surprise to see so much there so quickly. I don't know how long the residential component has been occupied but it already had groups of teens hanging out in certain spots, smoking and hanging around, while occupants of the residences looked on disdainfully. There is still a fair amount of land there that will presumably be developed. It is the typical suburban lifestyle for better or worse. One thing I noted was a fair number of multi-unit buildings in one area which hopefully will not become another Highfield Park.

The Sobeys appears to be close to opening while the Kent is a bit behind that. I expect that Sobeys to do very well.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:08 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One thing I noted was a fair number of multi-unit buildings in one area which hopefully will not become another Highfield Park.
There are several condo buildings down towards the big car dealership, then there is the retirement complex, which was probably the set of matching 3 buildings you saw. Other than those 3, I think there are only 2 existing condo complexes, and the one on the road along Russel Lake I think is going to have a second complex added into it (right along Baker Drive) I'll keep everyone updated on that too. Also along Baker Dr. across from Honda, they are building another small retail building, probably 4 or 5 slots (more to come with that as it develops). I've got a few shots of the residential segment of RLW that I will be posting here as soon as I upload them from the camera!

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 6:53 PM
we built this city

Wow, the shots with downtown in the distance are impressive... makes Halifax look like a large city from afar.

Looking at this area on google maps, its clear that the city is filling out quite nicely... almost looks like the map on GTA 4.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

Russell Lake West is one big development by Clayton Devlopment Limited. This company is responible for other areas as Bedford South, Clayton Park West, and nearby Portland Hills. For anyone not familiar with the area heres the website; http://www.claytondev.com/russellsiteplanslots.html.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
Dartmouth Girl

This area is also the gateway to if they ever get around to dealing with Shearwater, as it has the main intersection to the connector that will eventually run out that way- and will connect to existing Mount Hope Ave in the Woodside Ind. Park. That whole area has a ton of potential and I can't wait to see it grow!

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:39 PM

Sure it is. Except the feds recently reneged on the offer to sell Shearwater through the Canada Lands Company. Apparently the Military wants to keep their options open in this "uncertain" world. One of the original thoughts was basing a rapid reaction force (combined army/navy) with airborne and amphibious capabilities out of Shearwater; its airstrip and dockside facilities are considered ideal for this.

Now I have nothing against this use of the land. I think it would be great if Canada based our new "Marines" out of Halifax, in fact I was hoping for an announcement to this effect when the PM was recently in town. No dice -go figure. I'd also be happy to see mixed use civilian development here. I really don't care.

The problem is, I know how this works. 2008 - The government thinks it may, at some time in the future, want to use this land and wont sell it. Therefore private interests cannot use and develop it. The land sits empty. 2012 - The government thinks it may, at some time in the future, want to use this land and wont sell it. Therefore private interests cannot use and develop it. The land sits empty. 2016 - well, you get the picture...

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 10:07 PM
You talkin' to me?

http://www.cbre.ca/EN/Our+Offices/No...e/RussellLake/

website that shows some info on the retail portion of russell lake west

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 11:40 PM

Looking at the street names on that map it looks like Portland Estates Blvd is supposed to go parrallel to Mount Hope which seems strange to me. Why not just combine the two? It would give more land to develop and get more traffic on those roads (retail roads). Anyone know how the interchange and residental areas are coming along?

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
The problem is, I know how this works. 2008 - The government thinks it may, at some time in the future, want to use this land and wont sell it. Therefore private interests cannot use and develop it. The land sits empty. 2012 - The government thinks it may, at some time in the future, want to use this land and wont sell it. Therefore private interests cannot use and develop it. The land sits empty. 2016 - well, you get the picture...
I know it seems weird, but personally I would much prefer to see the government retain the airfield as much as possible, even though it would take them years to actually do anything with the land.

Just so we're all clear on a few things, I did up a map in Google Maps:

Map

The blue line is the former runway 16/34, the long runway. This has been closed for a few years now (same time the air show moved to HIAA)

The red line is the former runway 10/28. The section in the purple box is where they're building new helicopter support buildings and hangars, repair bays, etc.
10/28 is supposedly still open, although much shorter, and is not used for fixed-wing aircraft anymore; apparently it's just used for helicopters.

The green line is the former 16R/34L runway, closed many many years ago. This is supposed to be resurfaced and reopened as the new 16/34 runway, to be used for fixed wing aircraft. The old 16/34 (in blue) is the parcel of land that's been sold to Canada Lands. This is the runway DND is considering buying back.

Where I get confused, is that the Wikipedia article says runway 16/34 is already been resurfaced and reopened. But last time I was on the base, I saw the construction crews doing the resurfacing, and it looked to me like they were working on the blue line, not the green line (referring to the lines on my map). So to tell the truth, I have no idea what's going on there. I wish I could get a birds eye view...actually, you can, from the Caldwell Road area. I should investigate...

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 3:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It would be nice to develop the Shearwater lands I guess but at the end of the day I don't think it makes much difference. There is tons of land available in Dartmouth.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 6:35 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Anyone know how the interchange and residental areas are coming along?
Ask, and you shall be rewarded my friend...

Russel Lake West's current status (as of today!)

Green is what is currently developed (Sobeys and Kent will be opening soon, and that millstone sq. place is going to go right in the middle)

Blue is what is under construction (the condo to the left, its land plot has been cleared and leveled in the last week)

Red is what is just clearcut trees at the moment, the road stops where the blue and red meet (photos below) and they will soon be extended.

The interchange itself is done, has been for about a year now- it is still technically Mount Hope Ave. even thought it doesn't connect to anything on the Woodside side yet, there is the post bases and control relay box for a set of lights when it is connected into the Woodside Ind. Park.

Now for the Residential portion!

Where the road stops along the waterside of the development:
(Isn't it great?, you'll be able to look across the lake at other people with expensive houses and condos!)

Looking along the road that connects to Baker Dr.

Looking up the hill from the lakeside road, it will eventually go up and connect to the extended Portland Estates Blvd:

The area that has just recently been clearcut for the continuation of the road along the lake:

Pano looking from the entrance to the retail area near sobeys, looking up the hill to the top road in the development (Cloverfield Court has the rowhouses) with Baker Drive running along the bottom of the image:

Hope this keeps everyone tied over till more happens up there! lol
(All photos by me)

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 8:40 PM

Nice pictures! Thanks it really helps to have a visual image of the whole development.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:54 AM

Here's a Google Earth overlay (like I made for the Ravines).
Go to this link and click 'View in Google Earth'.

You can adjust the transparency and see the Highway doesn't line up exactly, but everything else does.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:11 PM

You can also click view in google maps, if you don't use google earth...

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:59 PM

I was having problems with the google maps link. At home it just displayed the image, no map behind it. And at work it just plops it square on the map, it doesn't line it up or anything.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
I was having problems with the google maps link. At home it just displayed the image, no map behind it. And at work it just plops it square on the map, it doesn't line it up or anything.
Ah, that's what that was... I thought you just sucked at positioning the map, but I didn't want to say anything

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:59 PM
Dartmouth Girl

I just got a call from Sobeys. I've just been hired at the new Russel Lake store, I'll let everyone know what the place is like when we finally get to go in there before it opens up!!

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 11:44 PM

Congratulations!

It's quite amazing when you think about this; pretty soon, we're going to have 3 brand new Sobeys stores within spitting range of each other.
In fact, if you stand on the new Penhorn store, you'll probably be able to see both the new Russel Lake and Tacoma stores from that location!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 4:15 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Well, it seemed today was a successful opening in the new Sobeys in Russell Lake, insane crazy, you'd swear there wasn't another grocery store in the entire city. I was run off my feet!

Kent has successfully opened as well!

Construction updates:

Right across Baker Dr. from the Honda and the huge oregans dealership, a new small retail building is going in, foundations are down, and backfilled, and the structures frame is now starting to go up as well.

The new section of Freshwater Trail (the road along the lake) is going along well and should be opening up more sections of the community soon as well.

A second condo building in the complex right on the corner of Freshwater Trail and Baker Drive, the crane is being put up now (pictures will come soon!)

Just up from the corner of Baker Drive and Freshwater Tr, across from the condo building along the hill, they are starting to clear out a new section of the hill (right next to the circ) for another condo building.

In the retail section, the BMO building framework is erected now and the rest I'm sure will follow quickly (they are supposed to open in the fall)

Last but not least, the foundations for Millstone Sq. (between Sobeys and Kent) have been laid, and they should be starting the framework for that building as well.

Phew, I think that is all for now, I'll post some photos when I decide to drag my camera to work with me!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs