HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:07 PM
disorient yourself?

^ I beg to differ. I have spent a ton of time in Atlanta and aside from a corridor along Peachtree, there are mostly small neighborhood centers surrounded by leafy neighborhoods. Atlanta is Atlanta, nothing like LA, Houston, DC or any of that. It has it's own look and feel.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 4:13 PM

I beg to differ, Reverberation. I happen to live here, and there is a hell of a lot more than the Peachtree corridor. To attempt to lump Houston in with the likes of DC & LA but not Atlanta is delusional, at best.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:00 PM

i think what reverb's saying is that they're all different... i don't think anyone would try to say la and dc are similar, or houston and dc.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:05 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i think what reverb's saying is that they're all different... i don't think anyone would try to say la and dc are similar, or houston and dc.
That's what I'm saying.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 5:53 PM

Atlanta may not be the most dense urban environment, but does it have to be? The city definitely does not feel like a small town by any means. I think the fact that you can have a single family home with a beautiful landscaped yard in the center of a major city is a huge factor that fuels the growth to this area. If we were as dense as Chicago or NY I would definitely not live here. Atlanta is what it is and its beautiful and unique for that. The sprawl wouldnt be so bad if we could set up a network of commuter rail lines to make the city more accessible. I'm just tired of people putting atlanta down because everything isnt jam packed into one area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:29 PM
disorient yourself?

It doesn't need to be. There is not anything geographic to condense it. It feels like what it is, a transportation and media hub. And the terrain is nice too. I believe that downtown Atlanta sits on the eastern continental divide. And I still keep up with Rhythm and Vibes in WRAS, I just would rather live here.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:47 PM

^Sorry, then. I apologize. I guess I'm not as thick skinned as I thought, but some new neighbors from D.C. just moved next door. They are wearing me out with their ignorance, arrogance and constant complaining about Atlanta.

You are right about the continental divide downtown. Rainwater on the East side of Peachtree ends up in the Atlantic, on the West side it ends up in the Gulf.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
It doesn't need to be. There is not anything geographic to condense it. It feels like what it is, a transportation and media hub. And the terrain is nice too. I believe that downtown Atlanta sits on the eastern continental divide. And I still keep up with Rhythm and Vibes in WRAS, I just would rather live here.
nothing but the unplanned road system and related horrendous traffic, and the sudden popularity to live at an in-town address. at least texas cities have a grid and seem to be developing around it (looking around houston with google earth is pretty surprising, so many places have developed dense townhouse style narrow houses... it very much reminds me of certain parts of detroit actually - dense single family.

atlanta is a completely different animal, probably the closest comparison would be charlotte, on a different scale of course... (you forgot education hub as well, gsu, gatech, emory, kennesaw st, clark-atlanta university and the rest of the schools in the AUC, oglethorpe, clayton st, etc)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:43 PM

Atlanta is Atlanta and I love it.I moved to Atlanta from Seattle a few years ago and have very few complaints. I wish the city had a large body of water in the vicinity but it does not and I shall survive.I personally would not have moved here if the built environment was as dense NYC,CHI,BOS,etc...Density or high density is not what I was looking for and I think that is a major draw for transplants to Atlanta.
As far as Atlanta being compared to L.A. I personally feel there are definitely similarities, and they are obvious if anyone has been to either city. Both sprawl forever,both are auto dependent, both have several skylines. That's just my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 11:31 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
in all my years on this forum, that is probably the first time I have ever witnessed a somewhat positive comment from you re: Atlanta.
I don't remember more than 2 or 3 times in all my years on this forum where I've even talked about Atlanta, much less spoken negatively about it. Did you take the DC/Atlanta compare/constrast thread to be negative? I didn't.

Also, for the record:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The first thing I said in this thread. 10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Neato. Atlanta really photographs well.

Last edited by Cirrus; Nov 19, 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 5:31 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1217 View Post
As far as Atlanta being compared to L.A. I personally feel there are definitely similarities, and they are obvious if anyone has been to either city. Both sprawl forever,both are auto dependent, both have several skylines. That's just my opinion.
Clearly there are some similarities. I never said any different.

Do an aerial inspection of each city via Live Search Maps, and I think you'll start to notice major differences in density and urban planning.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 1:20 PM

lol. i thought this thread fell off a long time ago.

i would love to see new ariels of buckhead, the change over the past two years is more than impressive.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 8:13 PM
Closed account

atlanta has heavy rail-which for any city is impressive.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
lol. i thought this thread fell off a long time ago.

i would love to see new ariels of buckhead, the change over the past two years is more than impressive.
Yes, very much so.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 12:54 PM

what a great set of pics to see the changes in midtown and buckhead over the past three years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 3:44 PM

It's always interesting, hilarious, shocking, bewildering, and yes sometimes sad any time the subject of Atlanta comes up on discussion boards. Because of personal experience I know that some (thankfully not all) people who live in the bigger and older cities in America do not take kindly to any city that they perceive is geting more positive attention than their cities. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about. New York City will always be New York City and Chicago will always be Chicago. No one is going to think less of you because some city in the sunbelt is growing like crazy.

Those of us who live in Atlanta (56 years for me) and love it and would never even consider leaving it (although I had to at times for work), understand the allure Atlanta has. We don't care one spit about how condensed everything is or isn't because believe it or not some people don't consider looking out of our office windows and looking through into another office window in the next building as a positive. Being able to look out our windows and view an ocean of magnificent greenery with the blue ridge in the background is what we love.

If you genuinely don't care for Atlanta for some reason or another, that's fine. There are plenty of cities I don't care for and could never live in that many others love. But I have specific reasons I don't care for them and I don't pretend to dislike them just because I think the people who live there and love it there are "uppity" and as we say in the south "gettin' about their raisin'". But as we all know, adults are not immune to silly pettiness and jealousy.

I am reminded of the Atlanta Olympics. I volunteered many hours with the AOC before and during the games. The press savaged Atlanta and they did it mainly because most of them were pissed the games were not awarded to either their cities, or a city they considered a vacation paradise. But the funny thing was that on a daily basis these same "journalists" who disparaged the city of Atlanta so much were flocking into the various media concerns begging for jobs in Atlanta. Privately I heard so many of them talk about what a beautiful city Atlanta was and how nice the people were and how it must be great to live here. But publicly it was another story. It's bad enough when adults resort to petty jealousy and criticism, but it's even worse when they do it because of ulterior motives.

So let's just say, if you hate Atlanta, please don't come. It won't hurt our feelings. We have more than enough who come here every day who seem to love it. As a matter of fact we have too many who come here and love it at times. So if you want to experience true southern hospitality, just come here and talk trash about our wonderful town. We'll be more than happy to provide you with a map showing the plethora of freeways that head out of town. Many of us will even drive you to the airport if you choose that mode of outbound travel.

Y'all come, ya here!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 4:28 AM

A lot has been built seen 2006. I would love to see a updated version.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 2:52 AM

Wow, looking through this thread it is hard to believe that these pictures were just in 2006. Its amazing the changes that have happened since then.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:22 PM
Red October standing by

pic by me, spring 2010

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos