HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:35 AM

detail of earlier photograph. (1920s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
The truck emerging from the alley may be for the transport of compressed gas cylinders. Since this is not an industrial section of town
I would hazard a guess that it is was delivering Oxygen for a hospital or CO-2 for fountain drinks, etc.
The cylinders are loaded in a vertical position, sometimes in racks and chained horizontally to keep them stable and in place.
Crates of beer for local delivery were also transported in this style of truck. The chained off area on the sides of the truck allow easy unloading
from either side.

Cheers,
Jack
The truck might be exiting an 'Auto-Park' next to the Belasco Theater.

detail

Belasco Theater, red arrow. Auto-Park sign at bottom.

...or was the 'alley' next to the Auto-Park? -this seems like an odd layout to me)

Here's the complete photograph again:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=29757

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 18, 2015 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:11 AM

Like a fifth member of the family (sixth, counting the dog) the omnipresent So. California incinerator stands guard.

http://guntherbauerfamily.blogspot.com/

And here's Mom, as Dad takes control of the camera.

These delightful photographs were taken just south of Anaheim, in the city of Orange.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 18, 2015 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Like a fifth member of the family (sixth, counting the dog) the omnipresent So. California incinerator stands guard.

And here's Mom, as Dad takes control of the camera.

These delightful photographs were taken just south of Anaheim, in the city of Orange.
__
The lighting and color on these are amazing!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:09 AM

City of Orange

Also the clothing (including a swim cap) and haircuts, the above-ground pool (complete with steps/jumping board... did they sell those?), the deflated pool float, the kids' "Hot Rod" and Mom's chair. Plus the tropical canna lily, the (very) poisonous castor bean plant and the ragged turf.

The suburban privacy fencing contrasts with the industrial chain-link which appears to separate the family's holdings from a livestock operation (?)

What a lot of evocative reference points! I'd love to know what happened to these people.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Here's the then empty pool in 1972.

Historic Aerials

Today I believe its that grassy area peeking out from the trees.
Thanks CBD! And thanks Krell58 as well! I had my money on either that area or the area to the northwest of that, just beyond the still-standing structure (honestly that area was my first choice, but I was obviously mistaken).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Also the clothing (including a swim cap) and haircuts, the above-ground pool (complete with steps/jumping board... did they sell those?), the deflated pool float, the kids' "Hot Rod" and Mom's chair. Plus the tropical canna lily, the (very) poisonous castor bean plant and the ragged turf.

The suburban privacy fencing contrasts with the industrial chain-link which appears to separate the family's holdings from a livestock operation (?)

What a lot of evocative reference points! I'd love to know what happened to these people.

http://guntherbauerfamily.blogspot.c...red-manny.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:46 PM

Thank you!

Do you know the Bauers?

"...wacky and lurid North America" LOL

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 18, 2015 at 6:33 PM. Reason: question

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:59 PM

A. L. Haley / 4th & Hill / 9th & Fig

Here's a small curiosity.

Everyone knows what Angels Knoll once looked like:

H.M. Wisler's grocery was spliced onto the front of the Cowper pioneer homestead (the Cowpers were still in residence) at 361 S Hill.
The home was "trucked and removed", presumably without the commercial addition, in September 1911 (no destination given):
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

eBay
On February 15, 1912 a building permit was issued for the bright-white, "class A", reinforced-concrete Black Building to be built at Nos, 355-361 S Hill, to designs by Edleman & Barnett:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Alas, by the 70s, the Black too was gone. I used to stare at that pretty tree from my Hill Street bus. Tramps often camped under it. The tree was a holdover from a Clay Street yard (?). I think it survived and may now anchor the copse at the top of Angels Knoll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Now. (Who designed and approved those Jetson-style awnings over the Metro stations? I'd rather see reproductions of the 1910-version of the Angels Flight station house all over the place, if something was needed, but we didn't even get one at the actual Angels Flight):

gsv

Anyway, the curious thing is, another building was planned for 355-361 S Hill Street in 1905, designed by A.L. Haley, but it obviously never got built:

cdnc

Arthur L. Haley was one of LA's busiest architects back in the day:

"Men of California"

The Los Angeles Herald dismissed Haley out-of-hand as a reprobate in 1899:

cdnc

...but by 1905 the Herald was singing a different tune:

cdnc

...and by 1907 the Herald was praising Haley without reservation:

cdnc

Apparently, Haley had left for San Francisco in 1899 to help in the Spanish-American War effort. Also, by 1905, Haley, back in LA, was no longer living in furnished rooms, but in a splendid house, of his own design, at 2730 Raymond Avenue in the West Adams district. If Haley still had a drinking problem, everyone was too polite to mention it.

Of the hundreds of office buildings, hotels, apartments and bungalows Haley designed, the "Sunnyside", built in 1904, was one which conformed to LA's brief enthusiasm for the Corinthian order:

cdnc

1909 LA birdseye

Ten years later George A Ralphs built an L-shaped, single-story brick building to the east of the Sunnyside (wiping out a single-family home in the process), taking up the corner of W 9th and Figueroa:

1921 baist map, plate No. 8

The Sunnyside fell in 1966, but the Ralphs building is still with us as the Original Pantry Cafe.

gsv

(Many thanks to HossC and Beaudry)

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM. Reason: fix quote tags and embedded link / add map

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:22 PM

Hotel Figueroa Pool

Look at this e_r, a snapshot of the coffin-shaped Hotel Figueroa pool after the "Y" building was demolished, but before the pool area was glammed-up:

Both images: losangelesrevisited

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM. Reason: different post

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:

Thank you!

Do you know the Bauers?

"...wacky and lurid North America" LOL

Not these Bauers, but my father's mother's family were also Bauers.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Things didn't go well for this Los Angeles couple. Maybe someone has more info on this. It may have been seen before on Norish LA.

LAPL

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:14 PM

I know Dragon's Den isn't new to NLA, but this picture comes with a review - "Never indigestion". The photographer also seems to like the name "Fook Wo Lung Curio Co.".

The seller has this picture dated as 1924 (or "1924-1927?" further down the listing), but the 1940 Federal Building is visible in the background.

eBay

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:17 PM

Happy New Year?

Quote:
Things didn't go well for this Los Angeles couple. Maybe someone has more info on this. It may have been seen before on Norish LA.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll44/id/29266

"Murder-suicide, 1951

Murder-suicide, 31 December 1951. Detective Lieutenant George A. Encinas; Detective Lieutenant Bill Cummings; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sullivan (bodies) (victims).

Coverage date 1951-12-31"

Examiner Collection

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll44/id/29266

"Murder-suicide, 1951

Murder-suicide, 31 December 1951. Detective Lieutenant George A. Encinas; Detective Lieutenant Bill Cummings; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sullivan (bodies) (victims).

Coverage date 1951-12-31"

Examiner Collection
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sullivan had good days and bad days. This was one of their bad days.

USC Library

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sullivan had good days and bad days. This was one of their bad days.
Who killed whom?

(I'm guessing Charlie's bad brain took over)

Oh wait, is he still holding the gun?

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 19, 2015 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Who killed whom?

(I'm guessing Charlie's bad brain took over)
I don't know but I suspect that he had the gun....killed her [shot between the eyes] and then put the gun in his mouth. Very LA noir romantic.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
I don't know but I suspect that he had the gun....killed her [shot between the eyes] and then put the gun in his mouth. Very LA noir romantic.
Her purse strap is still around her wrist. Either she just came in or was about to leave. I suspect she was going to go out and he objected.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:

USC Library

I wonder if he sat on the floor and put his foot under her leg before he shot himself? Not much splatter on the wall above him, most of it is around his head near the floor.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 3:58 AM

I grew up near the corner of Pico and Norton in the Mid-City are of Los Angeles, and I frequented a small taco truck that would reside on Norton. There's this building across the street from Jewel's Catch One Club (not the church) that seems like used to be a bank. As you can see from the pictures I've attached, behind the building itself (which is where the taco truck now stands) you used to be able to see the words "Bank of...." before it was cut off by paint. Luckily I found a picture on Yelp that shows the words I speak of. Can anyone PLEASE find any information on this? It's been killing me since I was a little kid haha. I'm now 24, and I first noticed it when I was about 8. I no longer live in that area, but if anyone could solve this nostalgic mystery of mine, I'd be truly grateful! The adress of the building is 4027 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90019.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywa01 View Post
I grew up near the corner of Pico and Norton in the Mid-City are of Los Angeles, and I frequented a small taco truck that would reside on Norton. There's this building across the street from Jewel's Catch One Club (not the church) that seems like used to be a bank. As you can see from the pictures I've attached, behind the building itself (which is where the taco truck now stands) you used to be able to see the words "Bank of...." before it was cut off by paint. Luckily I found a picture on Yelp that shows the words I speak of. Can anyone PLEASE find any information on this? It's been killing me since I was a little kid haha. I'm now 24, and I first noticed it when I was about 8. I no longer live in that area, but if anyone could solve this nostalgic mystery of mine, I'd be truly grateful! The adress of the building is 4027 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90019.

Hi Danny:.....This building was built in 1932 and is now Asian owned. Its valued at around $3.5 M. Upstairs there's a large ''ballroom." That's all I know.
Maybe others can find out more for you and welcome to this Forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos