HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:33 AM

Their methodology is set out at the end of the report.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Still isn't accurate. These are some of the weakest tax havens out there, compared to some of the largest financial centers. Carlos Slim's net worth is greater than the entire Casablanca bourse, yet here we have this noname organization claiming otherwise.
Well I'm sure there are 25 other cheesy rankings sites out there. Pick one that conforms most closely to your rankings view and post it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:00 AM

"Carlos Slim's House" could rank as Global Financial Center #30 then, depending on the metrics used. That would be interesting (and highlight the stupidity of the whole process)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:20 AM
gettin' rich!

Lio! Omg!

I was just gonna post how useless this list is. As all financial centers bow down to Omaha.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:12 AM
video et taceo

I love Montreal, Montreal is my home, I am a Montreal partisan... but how on earth is it a major financial centre?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I love Montreal, Montreal is my home, I am a Montreal partisan... but how on earth is it a major financial centre?
It's one of the biggest fintech expertise cities in the world, plus it's stock exchange treats specific files through TMX. While it doesn't show for the common folk, it's still pretty big.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The caisse de depot et placement du quebec has assets of $280 billion dollars and it's HQ is in Montreal, that should count for something (or maybe not? )

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:22 PM

It's just a list among many other lists. The fact that it's out there and that people all over the world will consult it (with or without taking it very seriously) makes it relevant somewhat. So the fact that Canadian cities are well listed is a plus, no matter what.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Well, consider that the list is about its placement relative to others.

And as has been mentioned, once the very top-ranked cities take their shares of the financial market, the rest down the list are likely fighting it out for what are really scraps.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:10 PM

Calgary falls under the "Unpredictable Centres" category (p.29) .... "These centres have the highest potential future movement." .... which could mean way up or way down.

Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver are "Dynamic Centres"

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:54 PM

What? Montreal is rating above Beijing, Mexico city, Bangkok, Mumbai, Frankfurt, Paris and the massive city of Seoul which is headquarters to countless world brands.... Really?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
What? Montreal is rating above Beijing, Mexico city, Bangkok, Mumbai, Frankfurt, Paris and the massive city of Seoul which is headquarters to countless world brands.... Really?
It's regarding a city's financial services industry NOT how big a city is or how many HQs it has.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's regarding a city's financial services industry NOT how big a city is or how many HQs it has.
True. I'm amazed that Montreal outperforms these cities which are the main economic centers of their respective countries. I just never saw Montreal as a hub for finance.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

This sub-forum is a great example. Relative to our population, Canadians probably represent a higher percentage of this forum's traffic than any other country so much that we can sustain our own, very active sub-forum. Now, a higher percent of Canadians probably live and/or work in a skyscraper than Americans, and our cities have some exciting projects relative to their size, but are our cities and our projects that much more a part of our lives compared to, say, the average Australian? Or the average Singaporean? They have sub-forums, but they're positively moribund in comparison. Or what about countries where there are millions of English speakers, internet use is high among the middle class and development is on fire, like Mumbai? When it comes to skyscrapers under construction, our tallest isn't even the global top 250! Anyway, there's something about Canadians on the internet...
In fairness this is a Canadian website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
This is like a list of The World's Biggest Armies. The top 5 or so are orders of magnitude more important than the rest. Whether you're 12th, 39th, 63rd, 87th.. doesn't really matter, you're pretty much in the same boat.
This is a very good point and why the numbers outside of the top 7 or 8 are so jumbled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
True. I'm amazed that Montreal outperforms these cities which are the main economic centers of their respective countries. I just never saw Montreal as a hub for finance.
This list doesn't mean it is, it's just a culmination of the opinions of people in the finance industry (and is heavily weighted to English speaking jurisdictions).

The market exchanges, banks and financial institutions in places like Seoul, Paris and Frankfurt are many times larger than what goes through Montreal or Vancouver or to a lesser extent even Toronto, which is why the individual rankings of these lists are so widely panned.

All you can really take out of this list is it's a good thing to be on it, but don't really get too concerned about the rankings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:41 PM
gettin' rich!

I remember a time the financial market in Toronto was the world's 7th largest. That was a while ago and haven't checked the rankings since then. Might have been 10 or 20 years ago, I can't remember for sure.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:54 PM

Probably at the height of the resources super cycle. I doubt the TSX is that high anymore but I don't actually know.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 12:57 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Probably at the height of the resources super cycle. I doubt the TSX is that high anymore but I don't actually know.
FWIW, according to the World Federation of Exchanges (the industries self tracking association), TMX is 9th in mkt cap and 12th in trading volume (USD). It was 6th/7th for a long time through the 90's up to about 2010 due to a number of reasons including the resource boom. It's also likely to drop down a notch or two over the next 2 years as the Indian economy grows (it's two exchanges are ahead of TMX though they have yet to merge) and Frankfurt grows due to Brexit.

Still decent for the TMX and it is still second in shares listed due to the 1000's of mining/energy juniors on the Venture. It is still the world's goto exchange for miners.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:03 PM
I am the law!

Interesting reasonings so far

List tells Chinese the best places to invest. Obviously, Canadian cities be would weighted on the high side.

China Development Institute is committed to
providing innovative and pragmatic reports for governments at
different levels in China and corporations at home and abroad.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
... and Frankfurt grows due to Brexit.
Remains to be seen whether that'll be enough to pass Vancouver or not.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 11:10 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
A list without Moose Jaw (Manitoba), Matane, (QC) or St-Stephen (NB) is ludacris.

It's rigged, It's rigged #TheDonald
Moose Jaw isn't in Manitoba.

Otherwise, this list isn't based on how big or important a city is. It's very easy to see why such small places can have so much weight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada