HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Metrotower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:19 AM

Italian Cultural Centre | Proposed

"Vancouver’s Italian Cultural Centre partners with Bosa Properties for redevelopment", Peter Meiszner, UrbanYVR, Feb. 5th 2017, http://urbanyvr.com/italian-cultural...vancouver-bosa

Last edited by Brentwood Tesla; Feb 7, 2017 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:30 AM

It will be a beautiful addition to the area, the architecture looks very Corbusier inspired.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:45 AM

Why is this listed in the suburbs section when it's in Vancouver - "the centre’s location at Slocan Street and Grandview Highway has become increasingly attractive. The Millennium Line SkyTrain runs past the site, and the Renfrew SkyTrain Station is located across the street."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:31 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Why is this listed in the suburbs section when it's in Vancouver - "the centre’s location at Slocan Street and Grandview Highway has become increasingly attractive. The Millennium Line SkyTrain runs past the site, and the Renfrew SkyTrain Station is located across the street."
Yeah this needs to be moved to Vancouver. Mods?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:54 PM

Take Over

ok

Last edited by burnaby88; Feb 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnaby88 View Post
Once again the Northern Italian's are taking over.
This guy has only made xenophobic comments directed towards Italians and the lack of business at Brentwood Mall. Really starting to cross the line. I find it very disrespectful and it does not belong in this forum.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
This guy has only made xenophobic comments directed towards Italians and the lack of business at Brentwood Mall. Really starting to cross the line. I find it very disrespectful and it does not belong in this forum.
I guess we'll see if the moderating is consistent.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
What xenophobic comments has he made about Italians?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
His previous posts were in the Brentwood Mall thread and have since been removed. They were about how Italian seniors were the only people occupying the mall and they were offensive remarks in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 9:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

Went to the open house on Saturday.

Took pictures of a few of the boards:

There was quite a bit of excitement among the staff there. A few comments.

They feel that proposing rental buildings on top will get it approved easier through City Hall.

The space above the centre ( the rental buildings ) will NOT be owned by the ICC, nor will they generate revenue for the ICC. They will be owned by BOSA ( if rented ) or if they change plans, sold as condos ( BOSA gets the profit ).

The land itself and the space below the centre will be ICC property. I wasn't 100% sure about the retail, but it sounds like the ICC would purchase retail so they get to decide what kind of retail goes in there. They really want to create an Italian Village feeling and add on amenities like a gym, which apparently has been a big request and part of the original plan for the ICC for years.

The square footage for the ICC will double.

The tallest tower, I believe, is 26 stories. They've yet to see if the city approves that. At that height, I'm guess it would block mountain views for a few houses along the alley north of Beaconsfield park, but nothing that trees don't already block, since that alley is lined with trees blocking most of the view anyhow.

Biggest concerns they've had from members is worry about losing the ICC property. However, ICC feels that if they don't do something soon, they will have to come up with lots of money to renovate anyhow.

One of the board members happens to be cousin to one of the BOSA family. She said BOSA obviously is a business but that they are viewing this as a legacy project for them and a way to give back to the Italian community. Take that for what it is.

It looks like a nice project for the area with no major visual obstructions. If it gets approved, you can guarantee that the houses fronting Grandview between Penticton and Copley will instantly go up in price as developers look for a way to turn that whole block into higher density housing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Went to the open house on Saturday.

Took pictures of a few of the boards:
For some reason, the two left renderings remind me of the Barbican Estate, and not in a flattering way.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:46 AM

Thanks for posting.
Agreed on Barbican - probably the modernist concrete buildings and the bare plaza.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
For some reason, the two left renderings remind me of the Barbican Estate, and not in a flattering way.
I used to hate Barbican until I moved into a flat a couple blocks away and started to really appreciate it. It's strange how some things can be so hideous yet beautiful at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Yes to all of the above (no intent to offend anyone) but it's the reality truth. Ask anyone at Brentwood and they will agree. It is PATHETIC what you see there all day. No business = no mall. They are LOITERING.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:26 AM
retro_orange

Why is there a double thread for this development? It's in Vancouver as well. Maintenance!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 8:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

FYI. This proposal went to a vote by the ICC members and it was rejected. Apparently, most of the older Italians were opposed to it.

Hopefully Bosa can sharpen their pencils and make it more appealing to the ICC members. As I understood it, the land would essentially be owned by the ICC, and the towers would be owned by Bosa to rent out or sell. The ICC would be doubled in building space, but they'd have the option to purchase a retail area (to lease to an Italian food store, for example)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley