HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 3:34 PM

Highway 63 to Fort Mac

Driving Hwy 63
Fri, May 11 - It's called the "highway of Death" for a reason. Kendra Slugoski drives Hwy 63 with an experienced truck driver to find out just how dangerous the route to Fort McMurray can be.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...p=1&s=dd#video

I've personally never driven to Fort Mac, so watching this news story is very interesting.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:37 PM

Alberta Transportation - Hwy 63 progress page
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4942.htm

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 6:57 PM
A Better Place

My father works just south of Fort McMurray and has driven there from his home in Athabasca twice a week for the past 6 years and has never gotten in any accidents along 63. From his experience, he routinely sees idiot drivers passing uphill, going 50 above the limit (or higher), and just overall making stupid decisions. The majority of accidents along 63 can be attributed to driver error, I think.

Twinning 63 will allow these idiots to pass in the left lane without facing any oncoming traffic, which will be safer indeed, but there are still bad decisions that can lead to accidents, whether the highway is twinned or not.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 8:35 PM

I would say that if people didn't get stuck behind convoys of massive rigs going 60 km/hr then there would be less risky behavior - Hwy 43 was twinned for this same reason. Having at least one rest stop c/w full-plumbing washrooms would help too, like the one on the QE2 south of the Wetaskiwin interchange.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:17 PM

I haven't driven this highway in years, but when I worked in Fort Mac, I drove it twice a week for 5 years. Personally I have never been in an accident but have seen many, the road itself isn't bad, its moreso the drivers. The highway should be twinned asap but the only problem it will solve is the head on collisions, idiots are still going to use it as a racetrack in the left lane until they beef up the law enforcement on this highway

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 9:00 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

For those of you interested...

http://twin63now.ca/

A link on that page also directs you to the Change.org petition...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:48 PM

The idiots that drive 20 under the limit are way more dangerous than those that go 10-20 over.

I never pass uphill, and give myself extra room all the time on that highway and don't find myself passing unless it's on a downhill or a long straight (few and far between on 63)... plus I never start passing until I know for sure the road is clear.

Too many people pull out instead of drifting out a little bit to look for oncoming traffic and people getting passed, instead of getting over as far right as possible, love to straddle the center line to try and avoid getting passed. It's ridiculous and pathetic that people endanger everyone by driving so stupidly.

63 is a highway in which you're a danger to yourself and others if you drive timidly. People pass leisurely on that highway at 100 or 110 flirting with oncoming traffic. I don't screw around, if I'm passing I get up to 140 while passing and then I slow back down once I'm back over. That's how you should pass.

edit - and the trucker in the Global video that talks about drivers doing 95 speeding up to 120+ when you're trying to pass them. I could kill the stupid idiots that do that. How fucking stupid can you be.. I encounter this crap so much it's a wonder how some of these people are still alive. That's exactly why I punch it when passing instead of risking an idiot trying to kill me.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
The idiots that drive 20 under the limit are way more dangerous than those that go 10-20 over.

edit - and the trucker in the Global video that talks about drivers doing 95 speeding up to 120+ when you're trying to pass them. I could kill the stupid idiots that do that. How fucking stupid can you be.. I encounter this crap so much it's a wonder how some of these people are still alive. That's exactly why I punch it when passing instead of risking an idiot trying to kill me.
Its not just 63 its all highways. I let my wife drive down QE2 because I'd get out and smack some of the idiots on that one.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 9:55 PM

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1719062

Quote:
MLA tells podcast two pronged approach to twinning 63 in the works

We now have some hints from Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo MLA Mike Allen about what will be included in his report on how to expedite the twinning of Highway 63.

Ashley St Croix from the "twin63now" initiative took part in a podcast with Allen and says a game plan has been laid out.

"They're looking at coming from the north end down towards Edmonton and then going north from Edmonton on the south leg of 63, so doing that work concurrently would speed up the progress of twinning the highway."

She's congratulating Allen for keeping the lines of communication open on what the government has planned.

"I kind of heard it in discussions, but didn't know that was something they were seriously looking at," said St Croix. "It's definitely positive to see that."

What is a hold up is some land in the middle of the project.

"There's about 50 odd kilometres of highway that is a barrier right now that they're working on removing those barriers. I believe there may be some land acquisition, some maybe permitting issues."

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:17 AM
Clearshades

Im on this stretch of highway costantly, & it is hell! Recently, i stopped by my union hall, and there was a signature petition to double this highway complete to Edmonton-which i had no problem obliging. With this spirit in mind, any forumers here belonging to a union, please encourage them to do so as well if they havn't. As well, im also encouraging those who don't use this higway to also support this through calling your constinuent representive. Thank you all for any assistance you can contribute.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:13 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearshades View Post
Im on this stretch of highway costantly, & it is hell! Recently, i stopped by my union hall, and there was a signature petition to double this highway complete to Edmonton-which i had no problem obliging. With this spirit in mind, any forumers here belonging to a union, please encourage them to do so as well if they havn't. As well, im also encouraging those who don't use this higway to also support this through calling your constinuent representive. Thank you all for any assistance you can contribute.
I have called my MLA and signed the petition. Now that I don't drive all over doing doing construction projects I have no reason to go to Fort Mac, but when I did, I dreaded the drive. Somewhat because the highway was in pretty bad shape for the last 100k or so into the Fort, but the psycho drivers make for a white knuckle ride sometimes

Twinning won't stop the stupidity... only enforcement can do that... but it will reduce the body count

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 11:23 PM

2 passing lanes construction to start next week:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...529/story.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:11 AM
HVAC guru

A four lane divided connection from the economic driver of the whole country to Edmonton. Very good news, and long overdue.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
A four lane divided connection from the economic driver of the whole country to Edmonton. Very good news, and long overdue.
What an understatement.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:32 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Agreed...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:39 PM

Very long overdue. I don't miss driving that highway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton