HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 12:28 AM

They tried too hard to be unique.

Off to the ugly Canada thread this one goes...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 4:03 AM

I guess fixing the masonry was cost-prohibitive?

I'd say it's a slight improvement over the stucco.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i gues it will remain a hiden tresure for another 20yrs waiting for someone to bring it back out

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 1:03 PM

What the hell?! It looked like with a quick sandblast or pressure wash of the brick it would be amazing. It looks ok but it’s so disappointing.

Hopefully next up is the Yellow Dog building. All the panels of stucco are falling off and just leaning against the building. City should force their hand for safety reasons.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

Does anyone know what the status of Patten 5 Distillery on Alexander? Is this still a go?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:05 PM

I'm assuming the brick on the Harlequin thing was in bad shape. But ya, doesn't look very good. I get picky when panels and such don't align quite correctly. Looks bad.

It would've looked great with the brick restored and large windows back in where they once were. Would have the certain space age utopian look from the 60's.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Harlequin The Dance Store (@harlequindancestore) on Instagram: “Renovations complete! Just waiting on our sign!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Does anyone know what the status of Patten 5 Distillery on Alexander? Is this still a go?
Patent 5, currently under construction.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 8:51 PM
Winnipeg

Is the Lindsay Building (228 Norte Dame) inside the Exchange District?

I’m a bit surprised that this building is seldom mentioned. As far as I appreciate that all buildings in the Exchange are special in their own ways, the exterior of Lindsay really is the next level...

Checking out its details makes me dizzy and I think it’s not necessary to question the quality of the materials

It even has its own Wikipedia page

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I was just in the space on Friday! It looks beautiful with the copper still and reutilized panels and stained glass from St Regis beverage room. New glass role up door allows light into the space.

The first distil is a milestone! They hope to be open to the public before Christmas. I don't know how to post a picture for you but if someone could share that trick it too would be appreciated.

In spite of the horrendous challenges working through the permit process on this unique use and historic concrete building the day has arrived.. Now if the city would be so kind as to repair the sidewalk down Alexander to the new storefront it would be great!

Was also in Nonsuch at 125 Pacific and again a huge addition to Waterfront North!

Please patronize both establishments and tell your friends!

These guys have done a super job!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 11:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I don't know how to post a picture for you but if someone could share that trick it too would be appreciated.
did you upload the photo to a image shareing site? if not u could try

imageshack.us
copy get direct link once uploaded from the selction of options

or put a folder on your webserver your website is on that you can upload stuff to then just copy the web address for the image then put the image tags around by hitting this button

hope that helps

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I don't know how to post a picture for you but if someone could share that trick it too would be appreciated.
https://postimages.org/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:19 PM
BANNED

a gym called "the community" is opening next to parlour.. also, a small grocer is looking for space..

Last edited by headhorse; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 4:28 AM

Anyone know what’s happening in the old Bodegoes across from OMS? They’ve been ripping out everything the last few weeks.

That new building happening now or did they give up and lease the space?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:27 PM

Here's some fun news... Skip has been actively looking for a developer to build an office building in the Exchange able to hold most if not all the company (which could be 4000 people in a year).. ON SPEC.

Essentially the want a modern new HQ, but don't want to own/build it themselves. They've been met with hard LOLs so far. They were pretty much told to F off. No one wants to build a new office building there, because if Skip goes under or moves or whatever, they're stuck with a giant empty building that won't get filled.

This leads me to think that maybe we could see another building/addition built on the giant surface lot next to the Skip-owned building at 140 Bannatyne in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited by buzzg; Dec 16, 2018 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 10:13 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Here's some fun news... Skip has been actively looking for a developer to build an office building in the Exchange able to hold most if not all the company (which could be 4000 people in a year).. ON SPEC.

Essentially the want a modern new HQ, but don't want to own/build it themselves. They've been met with hard LOLs so far. They were pretty much told to F off. No one wants to build a new office building there, because if Skip goes under or moves or whatever, they're stuck with a giant empty building that won't get filled.

This leads me to think that maybe we could see another building/addition built on the giant surface lot next to the Skip-owned building at 140 Bannatyne in the not-too-distant future.
Why can’t it be filled if Skip moves away? Well I can probably tell why as not many companies have 400 employees.
And I’m very proud of Skip by the way. They make great food delivery service.

And in order to fill 4000 people how many floors are required? I’m taking about something big.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:56 AM
surely you agree with me

That was announcement number one. They won’t sign a lease long enough for a developer to take a chance on. More than one building proposed. Campus is a better word.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:04 AM

According to this article (https://mehiganco.com/?p=684), you need about 150 sqft. per person. Multiply that by 4000 and you get about 600 000 sqft. That would be huge.

This is by no means an accurate calculation, but 600 000, or even half of that, would be huge. Like trueviking implied, that would most likely have to be in multiple buildings.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:55 AM

^By that calculation, it's no wonder why they were looking at The Bay.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:14 PM

^ In some respects it's amazing that they're basing their operations downtown considering that the most obvious option for them would be to buy cheap land on the edge of the city and build a massive, sprawling two-storey people-farm for all their workers.

It will be interesting to see which path they take. They are still so new and so many things could change quickly that it's hard to imagine them signing 40 year leases. But do they have enough money to build?

As we all know, there is a lot of space downtown, but not a lot of large chunks. I wonder if we could see something like Skip the Dishes buying a mid-sized building like, for example, the Kensington at Portage and Smith and filling it with their people?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan