HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:00 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So is preparation of construction documents underway now ?
Construction starts in 2019 - is that right ?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
So is preparation of construction documents underway now ?
Construction starts in 2019 - is that right ?
IIRC, they've been saying construction starts in 2020. They probably need a few years to buy up properties, etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:06 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Yeah - I think you're right now that I think about it. 2020 it is.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:48 AM

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...doctype=AGENDA

15 expropriation notices. Some seem interesting - maybe I need to review where the alignment is in Highfield - but perhaps they are just for a portion of the property and not the entire property.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:59 AM

http://www.calgary.ca/engage/Documen...ds_resized.pdf

Map of pre-construction work during 2017-2018 for utility relocations, land prep, and garbage dump prep. The city doing this work beforehand means more price and schedule certainty (e.g. removing/improving garbage dump waste within alignment).

Quote:
Projects such as utility relocations, land preparation, environmental remediation and transit improvements can require a lot of time and resources. Doing these types of projects proactively will help in managing project timelines and risks, and will allow future Green Line construction to occur more efficiently.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:02 AM

At $100 million in extra costs per year, I wonder if any of your election candidates want the construction tender process sped up? Doesn't a $100 million get you at least 1/3 of the way to Mckenzie from Shepard?

Doesn't look like it with the mayor's candidates.

Also there's a lot of transit to be tendered in 2019/2020, so moving a year sooner may get Calgary better contractors (that aren't already committed elsewhere).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:16 AM

Interesting the City starts cleaning up the entire Highfield landfill site tomorrow. See link for map.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-sept-2017.pdf

Quote:
... The Highfield site will be completely remediated, with approximately 300,000 cubic metres of waste removed from the site. ...

Once the Highfield landfill site is completely cleaned up, The City will be able to remove the development restrictions around the area. This will create new business and development opportunities in the Highfield area.
Still going to be next to the WWTP though for development opportunities.

Going to be about 260 more trucks per day on 17 Ave SE or on Peigan Trail? Probably Ogden/50 Ave/Peigan since 17 Ave is all dug up right now for the BRT construction.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonA View Post
At $100 million in extra costs per year, I wonder if any of your election candidates want the construction tender process sped up? Doesn't a $100 million get you at least 1/3 of the way to Mckenzie from Shepard?

Doesn't look like it with the mayor's candidates.

Also there's a lot of transit to be tendered in 2019/2020, so moving a year sooner may get Calgary better contractors (that aren't already committed elsewhere).
Thanks for the link in your previous post. I was unaware that much pre-work was coming up so soon.

As for the $100 million/year in extra costs, where is this figure coming from? Are you talking about financing costs?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:52 AM

100/4600 = 0.02 i.e. ~2% inflation

That's the thing about big projects. Little numbers are big. Of course speeding up the tendering process costs money too. Wouldn't the financing costs actually be higher speeding it up since less of the city portion would be collected when the project starts?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:38 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Interesting the City starts cleaning up the entire Highfield landfill site tomorrow. See link for map.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-sept-2017.pdf

Still going to be next to the WWTP though for development opportunities.

Going to be about 260 more trucks per day on 17 Ave SE or on Peigan Trail? Probably Ogden/50 Ave/Peigan since 17 Ave is all dug up right now for the BRT construction.
Will anyone really notice those extra trucks, maybe one every 5 minutes on a worst case scenario?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
100/4600 = 0.02 i.e. ~2% inflation

That's the thing about big projects. Little numbers are big. Of course speeding up the tendering process costs money too. Wouldn't the financing costs actually be higher speeding it up since less of the city portion would be collected when the project starts?
I thought the project cost estimates factored in inflation? Is that not standard? Where they might be in trouble is if interest rates shoot up.

If the project can be done faster than scheduled I don't see how that would result in higher financing costs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
If the project can be done faster than scheduled I don't see how that would result in higher financing costs.
The City's portion of the project is $50 million per year for the next thirty years. By deferring the start of the project, the City borrows less because they've had more years to save up the dough.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 8:47 PM
Urbanite by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
The City's portion of the project is $50 million per year for the next thirty years. By deferring the start of the project, the City borrows less because they've had more years to save up the dough.
Does that mean that some of the north leg ( north of 16 Ave. N. ) gets built???

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigStuff View Post
In theory, if there's enough left over after the project receives RFP responses, it could extend further north, but it's unlikely it'd be far enough to be worthwhile. You can't just throw an end terminal station anywhere - beyond 16th, I'm not sure there'd be a suitable spot before 96 Ave, and I doubt there'd be that much savings.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:08 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
You can't just throw an end terminal station anywhere - beyond 16th, I'm not sure there'd be a suitable spot before 96 Ave, and I doubt there'd be that much savings.
What needs to be at a terminal station? Some extra track beyond the platform to stage trains? Motive power substation? Special maintenance access?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What needs to be at a terminal station? Some extra track beyond the platform to stage trains? Motive power substation? Special maintenance access?
It has as much or more to do with the functional operations of the station (as a high bandwidth connection / crossover point) as it does track/power.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:44 PM

In the vein of it feels the Green Line is going slowly;

Quote:
... Andrew Knack, who is running to retain his Ward 1 seat, said he expects the Notley government to announce its financial support in the next couple of months and for the contracts to go out to tender in 2018, with construction to start in late 2019. ...
https://web.archive.org/web/20170925...d-will-be-lost

I get it, YEG started planning sooner (at least compared to the North Central portion) and had an alignment. It just seems like REM, Ottawa Stage 2, YEG West LRT, YVR's Broadway and Surrey's SNG LRT take a year less than the Green Line LRT to get to tender from June when YYC approved the alignment. It feels like YYC's missed/missing the window. Is it additional time for land assembly? Is it the local politics, like this BS mayoral candidate/astroturf group making it harder to get things done in YYC? Just bad timing for the province; i.e. their fiscal constraints? Just the additional friction of it being a really large project (twice the size of all but REM)?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:51 PM

I get the feeling there's a lot of money, labour, materials, equipment sitting on the sidelines just waiting for growth to return and it is expected to:

Quote:
... The recession is over. The forecast calls for the economy to expand by 1.9 per cent in 2017 in response to higher oil prices. The CER should grow by 2.3 per cent in 2018, up from 1.9 per cent in 2017 and -1.1 per cent in 2016. The economic recovery would be driven by growth in consumer spending, business investment, government expenditures and net exports. ...
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/fs/Pages/Co...n-Outlook.aspx Spring 2017 report

I'm sure someone will say, but the unemployment rate? Yeah that's a lagging indicator, it turns around with a lag. Of course if you elect an austerity city council and austerity provincial government there's going to be rounds of more big layoffs and the local economy won't do as well as estimated. OPEC says they're winning the oil glut war regardless though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/opec...glut-1.4302364

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigStuff View Post
They're going to need it to cover the increased operating losses of such a limited yet expensive line.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:09 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
It has as much or more to do with the functional operations of the station (as a high bandwidth connection / crossover point) as it does track/power.
As an example, 39th Ave wouldn't work because not enough room for busses to move the number of users. Kinda like that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure