HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:10 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Yeah, Toronto and Winnipeg should be good for a playoff spot. Calgary has a decent chance. They look far down the standings, but are only one point out of a wild card and two points out of a division spot. The biggest challenge for the Flames is the number of teams trying to leapfrog each other.
I'll take a regulation win tonight, please and thank you.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

And Edmonton sadly will miss the playoffs!! Argh.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:49 PM
Near Generational

Would you rather make the playoffs and get swept by Anaheim or miss them?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
The oilers aren't making the playoffs so the question is moot.

Last edited by Jaws; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Regulation win would be great. Tampa is up after that, and I'm not optimistic about that one.

My estimations are that the Flames will need roughly a 21-14-6 type second half. Not an easy task, but doable. The key for them will be to get some reg wins over Ana/Min/SJ and also to get as many loser points as possible.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Make them obviously, kind of a dumb question...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:36 AM
Starring as himself

The Jets are just amazing. There are literally no weaknesses on this team. Watching them play teams like Buffalo is almost embarrassing. They should call this one after two.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Jets are just amazing. There are literally no weaknesses on this team. Watching them play teams like Buffalo is almost embarrassing. They should call this one after two.
Nah. The 7-4 pummeling was better lol. And we had our worst goalie in net no less. 59 points now

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:49 AM
恭喜发财!

I'm starting to think that if the Flames could somehow fix their PP (maybe by firing Dave Cameron into the Sun) they'd be a contender.

Seriously, the PP is sucking the life out of this team and it's going to cost them games going forward unless they fix it pronto.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
And Edmonton sadly will miss the playoffs!! Argh.
Sadly??? It is amazing how badly Ottawa and Edmonton are doing this season after last years playoff successes. Take heed Jets fans, the hockey gods can be pitiless and cruel! Canucks have reverted to expected form and have passed the Oilers (no mean feat) in "fallin' for Dahlin". Flames are doing what Flames have always done, playing well/bad enough to just make/miss the playoffs. Leafs and Canadiens seem to have switched spots, with Canadiens management channeling Harold Ballard and Leafs management looking like Sam Pollock.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:12 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Sadly??? It is amazing how badly Ottawa and Edmonton are doing this season after last years playoff successes. Take heed Jets fans, the hockey gods can be pitiless and cruel! Canucks have reverted to expected form and have passed the Oilers (no mean feat) in "fallin' for Dahlin". Flames are doing what Flames have always done, playing well/bad enough to just make/miss the playoffs. Leafs and Canadiens seem to have switched spots, with Canadiens management channeling Harold Ballard and Leafs management looking like Sam Pollock.
I am fairly confident that Jets fans know more about how cruel the hockey gods can be than perhaps any of the other current Canadian NHL franchises.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
If Anaheim makes the playoffs it will be in 8th. At this point I'm not even sure they'll be in. Flames finally got that monkey off their back this season. We beat them last game at home and we beat them in their pond earlier this season. We finally broke the curse of most consecutive losses on another team's home turf across all sports leagues!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:24 PM

Flames are doing what they need to do, and that's beat the teams they are competing against for a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I'm starting to think that if the Flames could somehow fix their PP (maybe by firing Dave Cameron into the Sun) they'd be a contender.
Seriously, the PP is sucking the life out of this team and it's going to cost them games going forward unless they fix it pronto.
That's exactly it. It's what separates the Flames from the the top teams in the conference. Calgary can usually skate with any team on a given night, and they could get some power play goals, they could be winning games a lot easier than these one goal OT games.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am fairly confident that Jets fans know more about how cruel the hockey gods can be than perhaps any of the other current Canadian NHL franchises.
Yep... IIRC, the Jets only have two NHL playoff series wins ever in the their history with the current team, and as the previous Jets (about 20 seasons in total) Not exactly a lot of love from the hockey gods.

This year might be the year. They look unbeatable for the most part.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:31 PM
Community Guy

Looking for a new jersey, please advise how I can jump on bandwagon.

http://www.thesportingstore.com/asse...ts-jerseys.jpg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:44 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Agree 100%.

They need at least one RH shot on the PP for it to be effective. Not having a guy to fill the role that Versteeg did is killing them. The zone entries are fine, but having 5 leftys out there makes it super easy to defend.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:56 PM
the first stamp is free

^^ Lots of room on the bandwagon. In my biased opinion, the Jets are an easy team to cheer for - lots of skill, and not a whole lot of dirty play to speak of.

But, let's see the Jets win a playoff game first before we get too excited.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:33 PM
arf

Playoffs are always different. Unless the team really needs the lottery pick I'd rather have a shot at a round or two any year. Most fans would. I don't think many expected Edmonton to get to the second round of the playoffs last year. I didn't think anything they did in the offseason changed what I thought of the team. But there is a system problem with them. Given the parity in the NHL, it is always going to come down to system/chemistry and then add in some luck. While Edmonton has perhaps not been generating very good shots, they aren't getting blown out of the water most games in the shot department. Their corsi is decent, their fenwick is decent, there shooting percentage is "what's brown and sounds like a bell?"

DUNG

Given the same lineup and a sample set of ten seasons I figure this is a close to playoff team at least half the time. This season is an abberation, but there are some chronic issues with the play. Power play and penalty kill and goaltending. Damn, this is starting to sound like last year's version of the Winnipeg Jets, although I'd give the Jets an advantage with their defense, but still, this is not a 20 point differential here.

Fire the coach. Get a better system on the penalty kill and on the power play. The shooting percentage shouldn't be as bad as it is.

All that said: Go Jets!

It's nice to see them playing well and not having the usual -2 goal differential on the man advantage situations every night.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Looking for a new jersey, please advise how I can jump on bandwagon.

http://www.thesportingstore.com/asse...ts-jerseys.jpg
Just be really mad at San Jose players and you pretty much have it! lol

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:52 AM

Duclair to the Blackhawks, that should be a good move for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada