HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Once again, there are no "Tories", there are Liberals, NDPer's and Conservatives. The Tories were the Progressive Conservative Party and they dissolved to form the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)
"Tory" is an older term that can still apply. It wasn't invented for the PC party.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
"Tory" is an older term that can still apply. It wasn't invented for the PC party.
And about 99% of people have in their minds transferred the old Tory nickname onto the CPC.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And about 99% of people have in their minds transferred the old Tory nickname onto the CPC.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I haven't done that. To me "Tories" died (as an organized force) in Canada when the PCs did and I now think more in terms of "Reform Conservatives".

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I haven't done that. To me "Tories" died (as an organized force) in Canada when the PCs did and I now think more in terms of "Reform Conservatives".
Yup, you are one of the few it seems that understands the history of the party since the CPC was originally formed with at least as many Reform Party members as it was Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're right, I should get on board with all those that erroneously refer to the Conservatives as "Tories"

What a fool I was for thinking facts and truth matter

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:19 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Yup, you are one of the few it seems that understands the history of the party since the CPC was originally formed with at least as many Reform Party members as it was Tories

You're right, I should get on board with all those that erroneously refer to the Conservatives as "Tories"

What a fool I was for thinking facts and the truth matter
If everyone calls them the “Tories” then how are they not the “Tories”? It’s a nickname. I don’t understand it as implying identity with everyone else in history that was ever known by the same nickname. Should the Progressive Conservatives have been called “Tories” after they added “Progressuve” to their name in the 1940s in order to attract former Progressives such as John Bracken to the party?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If everyone calls them the “Tories” then how are they not the “Tories”? It’s a nickname. I don’t understand it as implying identity with everyone else in history that was ever known by the same nickname. Should the Progressive Conservatives have been called “Tories” after they added “Progressuve” to their name in the 1940s in order to attract former Progressives such as John Bracken to the party?
Though we don't use it nearly as much, the Liberals are still the "Grits" to me. Even though they have as much grit as a wet noodle these days.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If we are going to be historically nitpicky, then only the Conservatives in the UK can truly be referred to as the Tories.

Last edited by Acajack; Oct 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:

What a fool I was for thinking facts and the truth matter
The reform party went through numerous name changes before merging with the PCs. The PCs had an established nickname, the Reform/CRAP/CARP/Alliance party didn’t, so people applied the established nickname.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:31 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I miss the Natural Law Party

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

I don`t care what party the CPC is formed from, to me they will always be the Tories and I will keep using it. It`s similar to Calgary being Cowtown and Toronto Hogtown…….neither nicknames fit but people still use them all the time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Though we don't use it nearly as much, the Liberals are still the "Grits" to me. Even though they have as much grit as a wet noodle these days.
Great point!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada