HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:30 PM

this tower isn't anything to the city - yet.
once this tower opens its doors, it will probably have one of the best hotels in the city, and probably will be one of the best mixed-use towers as well. appreciation for this tower will grow for sure once people experience the inside.

and the outside will get a bit better once all is wrapped up, all mismatched panels are fixed, details are added.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:54 PM

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:11 PM
gettin' rich!

That is an amazing photo!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:50 PM
Lenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I doubt it. People only rip on bad design more with age as the building slowly begins to depreciate. You tell me if you think this building will look better brand new, or with 20 years of dirt, soot, wear and tear applied to it. This is the same reason why so many people despise modernism today.
Let's talk again in a decade or three and we'll see. I'm betting the people of Toronto will come to be fond of the quirky onion dome and the spire jutting out from it. It will never be revered as some sort of classic icon but it will be more than merely useful, enduring 'infill' for the density crowd.

The thing about modernism is its heavy use of glass. Glass has a hard time with pollutants - stone will clean up nicely if attention is paid to it but glass discolours, fades, gets pitted and stained. Sure, stone needs to be replaced too but not as quickly as glass facades.

I suspect most high-rise owners tend not to pay much attention to the long-term aesthetics of their buildings - if a given glass tower becomes a blight, then and only then might they begin to budget for the tremendous capital expense of revitalizing its exterior appearance. And that's usually only for special 'signature' properties; lesser towers are usually left to their own devices. The cost of fixing these eyesores is just to astronomical and there's usually more money in tearing something down and putting up something even higher in its place.

Trump and others like it here in Toronto may age poorly because of their chosen materials, but they'll be in good company in cities all around the world.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Wow!!!!!!! That photo is amazing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
This one's nice but I'd still rather have Chicago's Trump Tower than this one.
ya, well no kidding hey. i would rather have that building than near any building on the planet, so , its kinda not fair to even make a comparison. haha

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 1:59 PM
DENNAB

Insane photo!!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 2:30 PM
gettin' rich!

At least Trump Chicago would actually stick out at the corner of Bay and Adelaide. Trump Toronto gets lost in the mix with all these taller buildings.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
At least Trump Chicago would actually stick out at the corner of Bay and Adelaide. Trump Toronto gets lost in the mix with all these taller buildings.
True I would rather have seen the roof in the 950 range with the spire extending past 1000 feet, it does still add some nice density to the area.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:35 PM
gettin' rich!

Well in a couple of months this one will be finished and we can stop the whining about its height and asthetics.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 6:33 PM

That KPMG lighting would be so annoying if you were in the upper floors of Trump. Won't the trump emblem be at the top facing the KPMG logo as well? Seems like the building heights and designs kind of obscure both signs.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
True I would rather have seen the roof in the 950 range with the spire extending past 1000 feet, it does still add some nice density to the area.
yes, sadly that was actually close to how it was announced back in the day... it was 70 stories and well over 1000ft... oh well, i think this way, it fits in better.

and ya, there's no comparison with trump chicago. that tower is legendary.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 1:53 PM
gettin' rich!

From Jasonzed at UT and google cam

Thread here
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...Kirkor)/page22

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 8:15 PM

It's an interesting building, with a pool going on the 50 something floor if I recall.
A-spire! by ZensLens, on Flickr

Cheers,
Zen

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 3:53 AM
gettin' rich!

Holy moly!

Wow! Best one yet!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:20 PM

Those before and after shots you posted above Caltrane, are quite impressive, and show how fast T-dot's skyline is moving out from the CBD...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 11:27 PM

Incredible photo Zen! Thanks for the great contributions of TRUMP and Shangri-la. Superb images!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZensLens View Post
It's an interesting building, with a pool going on the 50 something floor if I recall.
A-spire! by ZensLens, on Flickr

Cheers,
Zen
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLYYYYYYYYY!Y!!!!!!!!!!!!
incredible!!!

does the tower sway a lot?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:17 PM

I, too am interested to see what this building, especially the 1/4 onion will look like in 5-10 years. I'm not a huge fan of spires stuck on top of a building. I'd rather that they actually built the extra floors to get the extra height.

Quote:
This is one of the more unattractive buildings of this size I've seen outside of Dubai and that's saying something considering Chicago has possibly the ugliest 900-1000' building: 311 S Wacker.
I would disagree re 311 S Wacker. I actually like this building, and would like to see some more like this and Los Angeles's U.S. Bank Tower in Toronto. They would make a change from all the glass boxes going up right now. Plus, Toronto needs more buildings around the 1000' height range in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 6:25 PM
BANNED

^^^ Eh, 311 is one of the worst in Chicago. I like it personally because it's adventuresome, but that doesn't make it not fugly. I like a lot of ugly things for reasons that lie beyond straight aesthetics.

Also, I'm glad you all like Trump Tower Chicago. Though its unquestionably the best/least atrocious Trump Tower, I have very mixed feelings about it. It has some MAJOR flaws in my opinion and could have been much much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxMan View Post
Let's talk again in a decade or three and we'll see. I'm betting the people of Toronto will come to be fond of the quirky onion dome and the spire jutting out from it. It will never be revered as some sort of classic icon but it will be more than merely useful, enduring 'infill' for the density crowd.

The thing about modernism is its heavy use of glass. Glass has a hard time with pollutants - stone will clean up nicely if attention is paid to it but glass discolours, fades, gets pitted and stained. Sure, stone needs to be replaced too but not as quickly as glass facades.

I suspect most high-rise owners tend not to pay much attention to the long-term aesthetics of their buildings - if a given glass tower becomes a blight, then and only then might they begin to budget for the tremendous capital expense of revitalizing its exterior appearance. And that's usually only for special 'signature' properties; lesser towers are usually left to their own devices. The cost of fixing these eyesores is just to astronomical and there's usually more money in tearing something down and putting up something even higher in its place.

Trump and others like it here in Toronto may age poorly because of their chosen materials, but they'll be in good company in cities all around the world.
Eh, are you sure you know what you are talking about re: glass. Glass does not pit or stain which is exactly why it's such a widely used material. There are dozens of 50+ year old glass towers (and some that are 100+ years old like the Reliance Building) and the glass is the only thing that never needs repair. The seals need replacing, mullions need repair/repainting, but the glass just needs to be squeegied. Masonry buildings wear our far faster than all-glass ones do and are far costlier to repair.

My point with this tower is that the style will become increasingly dated and the non-glass elements of the design will begin to weather and probably only make the building look shabby AND ugly in 30 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive